Quantcast

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
very good read, and a lesson in cultural understanding, something the guys at evil just didnt have down when they contracted an eastern vendor- those guys will promise anything at meetings, simply because its rude to say no or that is not possible- hence the need for a full time QC engineer on site from the company.

With that said, im glad they are are around still, and i hope it works out.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Excellent piece Mr. Kemp, you have as much skill with words as you do wagon wheels.

Sort of how I pictured the whole thing, minus the Sam Hill part. It's like owning a bike company as your hobby. You have all the passion and interest and love for it, but if your livelihood does not depend on it the "hobby" takes a back seat at times. If the company has to put food on your plate you either make it happen or get out.

Interesting situation for sure. If anything I am jealous of Kevin for being able to do what he is doing.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Nice write up. Where's the warm feeling though? Anyone who has been following this ordeal knows there was a bad production run, then another, then the company began to crumble and is being propped up by one dude with alot of passion. Where was the paragraph saying there's a container with 300 units scheduled to arrive xx/xx/xx, and all warranties will be fulfilled entirely before any new sales are conducted? The backdrop history was a good read, but anyone with a business 100 course knows what can happen when small business grows too fast and has overseas flops. I didn't finish feeling any different than I did when beginning the article. I hope they make a comeback that everyone talks about, and the Undead is so rad that all the haters buy one. But damn, that article sucked for closure.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Just that it happened in a crash at a race in portugal. Somehow the old trick to get the fb profile url with an image url doesn't seem to work anymore.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nice write up. Where's the warm feeling though? Anyone who has been following this ordeal knows there was a bad production run, then another, then the company began to crumble and is being propped up by one dude with alot of passion. Where was the paragraph saying there's a container with 300 units scheduled to arrive xx/xx/xx, and all warranties will be fulfilled entirely before any new sales are conducted? The backdrop history was a good read, but anyone with a business 100 course knows what can happen when small business grows too fast and has overseas flops. I didn't finish feeling any different than I did when beginning the article. I hope they make a comeback that everyone talks about, and the Undead is so rad that all the haters buy one. But damn, that article sucked for closure.
look at the date the article was written.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Ohh NOW I get it! There were three guys that started a company, cool pictures leaked out, everybody got overly excited and threw their money at a bike with a lot of hype that had no real world testing and the company didn't have the capacity to manage the issues as they developed!

It does seem much better now that there is only the marketing/branding guy left because, from what I can tell by the hype and cool pictures...wait a minute!...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ohh NOW I get it! There were three guys that started a company, cool pictures leaked out, everybody got overly excited and threw their money at a bike with a lot of hype that had no real world testing and the company didn't have the capacity to manage the issues as they developed!

It does seem much better now that there is only the marketing/branding guy left because, from what I can tell by the hype and cool pictures...wait a minute!...
It's going to be three times as good now that the coolness is more distilled, right?

Don't worry, he also has a lot of friends inside the industry! That means he can get articles written about himself while you wait for your bike. Nothing to worry about, just keep reading while you wait. There will be another article in two weeks to keep you throwing your money at the screen.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
look at the date the article was written.
That link providing the article was dated 3/9/2012. Freeriding isn't really on my radar, so I didn't pick up on the Zink reference. It was an honest mistake on my part.

So is there a new article somewhere about the container full of units arriving on xx/xx/xx that I haven't seen yet? Or is everyone still buzzed on photos, and warranties are still unfulfilled?

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011

I lol'd

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
The graphic designer responsible for some rather horrific stuff on the '06-08 Iron Horses, or no?

Must be nice to start bike companies and field WC teams as a hobby.

Keeping it going after the original braintrust bailed and the customer service nightmare seems less like passion and more like hubris to me.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I'm normally a second run kind of guy but holy crap do I want this!!

Geometry with 150mm fork ( 520mm AC )

High - HA-67.62 BB- 13.48/342.5mm WB -44.0/1120.0 mm CS - 430mm/16.9" SA 72.8

Low - HA-66.5 BB-13.00/330.0mm WB- 44.25/1124.09mm CS - 433.97mm/17.08" SA 71.76

• Shock: 7.875 x 2.25
• ISCG05
• Integrated headset
• 142 x 12mm rear axle

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm normally a second run kind of guy but holy crap do I want this!!

Geometry with 150mm fork ( 520mm AC )

High - HA-67.62 BB- 13.48/342.5mm WB -44.0/1120.0 mm CS - 430mm/16.9" SA 72.8

Low - HA-66.5 BB-13.00/330.0mm WB- 44.25/1124.09mm CS - 433.97mm/17.08" SA 71.76

• Shock: 7.875 x 2.25
• ISCG05
• Integrated headset
• 142 x 12mm rear axle
Who do I have to rape to get it?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That sucks. Filip is a great guy.

From what I gathered he was looking at concentrating his efforts this season in South America. He may make a few trips up to the states but do not think any Euro UCI events are in the works.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
From what I gathered he was looking at concentrating his efforts this season in South America. He may make a few trips up to the states but do not think any Euro UCI events are in the works.
Must be enjoying the life down there :)

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
2006: Hmm, know what's cool? Dave Weagle - the internet loves him - get him to make our bike!
2012: Hmm, know what's cool? Carbon - the internet loves that stuff - get our bike made from that!

Is how i imagine the design process goes at Evil.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Or maybe like this:
2006 : 2 passionate mountain bikers were sitting in the bar . We should start a mountiain bike company that is innovative and cutting edge. We don't have he money but we do have some great ideas.

2011 : why are we persisting with these half baked alloy frames? We are a cutting edge company, let's make a carbon frame. Better in every way.

I dunno. Corny. But probably closer to the truth. Considering dw started evil anyway didn't he?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
2006: Hmm, know what's cool? Dave Weagle - the internet loves him - get him to make our bike!
2012: Hmm, know what's cool? Carbon - the internet loves that stuff - get our bike made from that!

Is how i imagine the design process goes at Evil.
Yeah. Making products that fulfill an existing demand on a market is stupid :think: