Quantcast

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
hi guys, right I need a little help in the selection of my headset. I know the official one is an FSA orbit No. 42/ACB-1, 1 1/8" but the uk distributor silverfish dont have any. Can anyone provide me with the actual bearing sizes and angles as I cant get hold of the correct headset soon enough and would like to just build one up. The standard FSA 42 does not have the -1 after the ACB in the description so any idea what this is please people? HELP I want to ride this bike ASAP!
EVO, the lower 1.5 bearing is this one:
*EDIT*
The part I listed from FSA, although similar, is NOT what you need as it had a 36x45 degree chamfer. The lower 1.5 bearing is of the non-chamfered variety:
http://webstore.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=estoreproduct&taxid=360&pid=963
This is also known as a 6808-2RS bearing.
The FSA P/N is: MR069

*EDIT*
The upper 1 1/8th (1.25inch) bearing is a 45x45 degree, 41.8x30.9x8.0mm (ODxIDxThickness)
This is also known as an 870E-RS bearing
FSA P/N: MR121

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
EVO, the lower 1.5 bearing is this one:
*EDIT*
The part I listed from FSA, although similar, is NOT what you need as it had a 36x45 degree chamfer. The lower 1.5 bearing is of the non-chamfered variety:
This is also known as a 6808-2RS bearing.
The FSA P/N is: MR069
Pretty sure that's incorrect, especially since that bearing doesn't look like the one in the bike. The stock lower bearing is an angular contact bearing (36x45 degree taper), and it looks like the FSA P/N is ACB073.

You can see the entire headset here and the part number:
http://www.silverfish-uk.com/ImageHandler/17862/2000/2000/

I'd question the upper one not being 36x45 to match. Where are you getting this information from?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Lower bearing (FSA 073 36x45*, 40x51.8x8mm)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281289455608

Crown race (FSA 160-5538):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161274811567

Upper bearing (FSA 873 36x45*, not confirmed):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310921984839

If anyone wants to build their own headset instead of purchasing the exorbitantly priced genuine item, I think those will be the parts needed, plus an appropriate upper split race to match. I am confident in the lower bearing and crown race being correct, however the upper one is an educated guess, perhaps someone can confirm / ask Evil themselves. Obviously the upper race will have to match the bearing, however if it is indeed that one I linked, the race is a very common one (same bearing/race as Sunday).

Dude!

Chimp
Dec 18, 2010
I am curious if anyone has just replaced the headset without the angle option?

I am guessing the angle would be the halfway point between the steep/slack - maybe a tad steeper owing a shorter lower stack for most zerostack headsets.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I am curious if anyone has just replaced the headset without the angle option?
You can't do that unfortunately, as the cups are proprietary and have a flat section that lines up with the frame unlike conventional headset cups which are round. Unless you get some matching cups machined or Evil releases a 0deg option, you're stuck with the stock steep or slack cup setup.

evo360

Chimp
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks for the help guys perfect. Unfortunately I have had to opt for the long 2 week wait for the 'official' headset. Driving me insane waiting!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Pretty sure that's incorrect, especially since that bearing doesn't look like the one in the bike. The stock lower bearing is an angular contact bearing (36x45 degree taper), and it looks like the FSA P/N is ACB073.

You can see the entire headset here and the part number:
http://www.silverfish-uk.com/ImageHandler/17862/2000/2000/

I'd question the upper one not being 36x45 to match. Where are you getting this information from?
Udi! What's up? Been a while!

So, those part numbers for the headset bearings are directly from the PDF Walsh sent me. Those are the same bearings EVIL uses.

So here's the confusing part: Those aren't the only bearings that will work apparently. To make sure I was being absolutely concise I went with the factory recommended parts.

I can confirm after talking with Walsh that the ACB 36x45 deg., 51.8 x 40 x 8mm (OD x ID x Thickness) TH-073 (FSA P/N: MR110) will ALSO work as the lower 1.5" bearing. I'll try to put together a list of compatible bearings in the next few weeks to give people some options.

evo - No problem! Glad we could help!

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So, those part numbers for the headset bearings are directly from the PDF Walsh sent me. Those are the same bearings EVIL uses.
The bearing that came with the frame originally is not the radial bearing you described, it's the FSA 073 (36x45 angular contact) as shown in the picture I linked.

If they changed it I suspect it would be for cost reasons given the radial one you linked is a standard off-shelf size. However the best bearing design for a headset is always an angular contact bearing, because it has to support greater axial forces than lateral forces (and that's exactly what an ACB does). Probably not a big deal in this case as it's a large bearing which is why they can downgrade and get away with it.

Dude!

Chimp
Dec 18, 2010
You can't do that unfortunately, as the cups are proprietary and have a flat section that lines up with the frame unlike conventional headset cups which are round. Unless you get some matching cups machined or Evil releases a 0deg option, you're stuck with the stock steep or slack cup setup.
Thanks….but sorry for being dense, but I am not quite getting what you mean. I tried looking for pictures online, but couldn't see anything to enlighten me.

Based on the sicklines article http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/2013-evil-undead-carbon-fiber-mountain-bike-review/

It is a 44mm top and 56mm bottom, so you couldn't replace this with a 44 and 56 Cane Creek headset?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks….but sorry for being dense, but I am not quite getting what you mean. I tried looking for pictures online, but couldn't see anything to enlighten me.

Based on the sicklines article http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/2013-evil-undead-carbon-fiber-mountain-bike-review/

It is a 44mm top and 56mm bottom, so you couldn't replace this with a 44 and 56 Cane Creek headset?
I haven't got a picture, but if you have a frame you can knock one of the cups out and see. Basically the cup is a round lip, followed by a round section (like a normal cup) followed by a smaller diameter round section with flat sides keyed to match the frame, so that you can only orient the cup in two directions. It's a proprietary design.

I couldn't tell you if the flat section length is critical to load bearing/spreading, but the cups press into bare carbon so I'm not sure you'd want to replace the cups with shorter versions than stock, even if the aftermarket cups do fit. Best to email and ask, but personally I probably wouldn't.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006

What he's saying is the headset cups ain't round. There's two flat edges on the cup's OD instead if a perfect circle like a normal headset. This is how it keys into the frame so you don't have to line it up like other angle sets.

intenserider

Chimp
Mar 14, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
image.jpg

Interesting to see that top headset cup being used. Also noticed the colour of the bolts in the links are different, could this be the newer design Undead with the "bigger/newer" hardware...
Photo taken by Cairns MTB Tours.

Last edited:

Thiessen

Chimp
Oct 27, 2012
Van, BC
I am curious to see if anyone else has had a crack/delamination on the front triangle of their Undead? Just contacted Evil hopefully I will get a response soon.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Interesting.

What was the bike there were pictures of when they were working on their website way back when? Those lasted about 5 minutes. They were sitting in an unprotected directory alongside the uprising? Started with an i iirc... a shorter travel version of the uprising.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Insurgent?

I thought that was going to be the next frame (supposedly slightly longer travel though). These guys move like molasses. If they keep making 26ers, I'll own something or other of theirs. Not going to be a 29er though.
That was it... and this was about 4-5 years ago before the uprising was out.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
while we are talking about new models...please bring back the soveirgn evil...as a long time fan seeing a gen 3 would be great...27.5 this time around?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Interesting.

What was the bike there were pictures of when they were working on their website way back when? Those lasted about 5 minutes. They were sitting in an unprotected directory alongside the uprising? Started with an i iirc... a shorter travel version of the uprising.
Insurgent?

I thought that was going to be the next frame (supposedly slightly longer travel though). These guys move like molasses. If they keep making 26ers, I'll own something or other of theirs. Not going to be a 29er though.
Actually it was known as the "Sect"... and dump... SOMEONE has been a naughty boy... peeping in other people's directories... HONESTLY. =)

Here's a pic, but I have the CAD wire-frame somewhere on my machine:
1254397699498-5084lt2oodla-798-75.jpg

...and Manhattan, other wheel options will be available in the future. ;)

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Hi all,

I have a shock spring rate setup question. In march when I bought the bike (it came with a 500 lb ti spring) I weighed around 90 kg (200 lbs), and the sag was there or thereabouts at 30%. I'm now 77 kg (170 lbs) and got out on the bike for the first time in a while last weekend, and was surprised that the back end of the bike didn't feel far too stiff. In fact, it actually felt really spot on, and wasn't lacking in compliance at all. Stupidly, I forgot to measure the sag though.

On the evil website it recommends a spring rate of 400-450 lbs for 82 kg rider weight (being generous with how much I would weigh kitted up), so would I see a big benefit in going down 50-100 lbs in spring weight? Or are these very rough estimates? What sort of spring weights are other people of my weight on?

Cheers!

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I was running the Undead with 400 and 450 @ 80KG.
Personally think that folk who always jammer on about how stiff they run their bikes, do so for bragging rights and don't test out properly / don't set the shock up properly (everyone thinks they're Brendog / Gwin right?).

I preferred the 400, as I had the shock ramp up nicely when it needed to, without losing traction like it tended to on 450, but neither did the bike feel sluggish. The 450 I felt was a little less surefooted, particularly when it ws a bit moist. That said, there wasn't the world of difference between them ( I probably wound a bit more preload on, but less than max, to compensate for running a slightly lighter spring).

I have a 423 you can try out if you're down South anytime soon?

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Couldn't agree more, I was just surprised that it's oversprung by so much and it doesn't feel like shit. No traction issues at all either. Definitely an idea to experiment though, I'll be down south on the 17th to the 5th if you're around?