Quantcast

ewwww. hayes sole.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
has anyone ever tried these? they may be an OE only item, but wow. they suck ass. zero power, barely any modulation. ewww. i guess what i am trying to say is...

BUY HOPES! not hayes sole. yuckyuck yuck i tried them today.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Let's just compare apples to apples...Soles retail < $100/wheel and are quite cheap and accessible at an OEM level...Hopes are what, $180/wheel for the Mini's and not the easiest or cheapest brake to source...beats using a cable brake in most situations...a kin to comparing say Acera or Alivio to Campy Chorus (ie something entry level and utilitarian vs something highend and boutique).

-ska todd

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Never tried them broken in or in the real world on real trails, but I like the setup of them better than any other Hayes product. The pad adjustment via allen wrench is the cat's ass. Kinda like the Avid speed dial, but with an allen key at the caliper. I'd try them for XC.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've never tried them, but in all fairness were they even broken in yet? They may not have modulation, but I was think they have some power..

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Shmoe said:
Only one side moves on them. Harder to set up properly IMO.
Yeah, just like the beloved Avid mechanicals. :rolleyes: I'd rather use the allen key adjuster for setup than that friggin speed dial anyday. Seriously.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I'm not too keen on Avid mechs either. They seem kinda hard to set up and they just don't feel very good. I've had 'em on my XC bike for almost a year now and I've been less than impressed.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Bicyclist said:
Yeah, I'm not too keen on Avid mechs either. They seem kinda hard to set up and they just don't feel very good. I've had 'em on my XC bike for almost a year now and I've been less than impressed.
Check your cables and housing. If the brakes came OEM a lot of mfgrs use generic cables/housing. Try using pre-stretched stainless inner cable and heavy duty casing. This will make cable brakes feel a lot snappier and powerful.

-ska todd

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Ska todd, i was on no way comparing the soles to my M4's, just saying how unbelieveably bad they felt. the bike was about 6 months old, and i know the kid rides alot, so yes they were broken in. god, my old promax mechanicals felt better than those.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
would you really expect a brake that sells for less than some mechanicals to be any good?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Monkeybidnezz said:
I've never tried them, but in all fairness were they even broken in yet? They may not have modulation, but I was think they have some power..
Here's another possibility;

The guy (moron) that owned the shop where I worked used to spray all the new bikes down with lots of bike polish. Absolutely no regard to the fact that almost anything will contaminate disc brakes and pads. I stopped him from doing this, but he still did many things along the same lines that were just unnecessary and only caused problems. So one reason that disc brakes may not work well could be due to shop employees/mechanics doing something stupid like this. Some people don't know how to use spray-lubricants on bikes with disc brakes either. Any of these things can totally ruin your pads.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Sole can<In theory> Work very Well... they just take almost every ride maintance like avid Mechs..... i ran My Avid mechs till i Melted teh Caliper logos off and Mine also would Put you over the bike lever combos with those will make a world of difference i personally like avid with avid Speed dial on the levers rule. Anyways the Sole youll need to keep an allen with you at all times..... remember to compensate for the angle at which the pad wears when you do your adjustments and youll need to keep it up or your pads will get a nice wear angle on them and basically be trash... same with the Avid mechs But they at leat have teh CPS system and you can tweak teh caliper a little to make up for that and not need to toss the pads right away ...... Oh also get a better Pad compund something that wants made for OE longevity but something that actually grabs the rotor with some grip .... But if ya get a chance/cash i would suggest hayes Mags Avid juicy 7's or hope MOno's 4 or 6.........good luck with your SOles
________
Roll blunts

Last edited:

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
I don't own soles. I TRIED them. I own Mono M4's. Dude, use capitals and periods, and proper punctuation. That was murder to read.

Aug 14, 2005
New York
Well i actually run sole's on my backup and they work fine as long as you keep them in adjustment (which does require slight adjusting after every 2 runs) and they have plenty of power. So just stop actin like a weiner. There is definitely a difference between the sole's and hope's, but no reason to complain about the sole's.