Quantcast

EX 5.1d

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
I am going to be bulding up a new wheel set soon and im looking for light rims i found a good deal on these and i like them. Very light but im not sure about there strength. Anyone have any experince with these? I know it all comes down to the build but...still. I'll just be doing dj and some urban.

skiplie

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
get some mavic ex 721s they are extremely light and gnar, but are kinda pricey

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
stay far far away. go mavic 721's, mtx, single track, rhino xl machine and welded, or pimp lites. anything but 5.1

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
721 is mos. def. the standard in 26" rims to which others are measured by at this point in the market... at least for disc specific, and not including 24" rims.

Supra D is another light weight that I really like. I beleive there are more options coming out soon but I usually only pay attention to the 24" offerings.

now realize that this is only what I've read, not in my personal experience, but I belive the DT 5.1 has somewhat soft alloy material, not good for taking pinch hits or impacts... but again, this could be heresay.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Really 721's are a bit to much unless i was going to use these wheels on my big bike. MTX's i dont fell as though i need something that strong again unless it was on my big bike. Pimp lite? I think i have one on the back of my bike. Although i did not have the best expeince with A-lab following a trail pimp issue. Do the pimp lites have lower side walls?. Single tracks sound good along with rhinos.

wadly_1001

Chimp
Dec 19, 2007
They tend to flat spot real real easy and warp and break fairly fast. Get something else, they aren't worth the money

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Really 721's are a bit to much unless i was going to use these wheels on my big bike. MTX's i dont fell as though i need something that strong again unless it was on my big bike. Pimp lite? I think i have one on the back of my bike. Although i did not have the best expeince with A-lab following a trail pimp issue. Do the pimp lites have lower side walls?. Single tracks sound good along with rhinos.

you seem a bit confused here.
Are you thinking 729's? MTX's aren't necessarily known for their high strength, just their wide profile and somewhat decent weight.
The pimplites do have a pretty tall sidewall, if that is what you were wondering...
I wouldn't go with singletracks... headed down the wrong road there. And if you get "rhinos" make sure you get the XL version that is welded... but again, for 26" and disc, you have better options out there.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
No im saying that 721's which people mentiond above are more then i want to spend on a wheel set for this bike. I really dont need a very strong wheel set on this bike i dont see my self doing huge things on it. I just need something light, and with lower side walls unlike the atom lab had/has.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
No im saying that 721's which people mentiond above are more then i want to spend on a wheel set for this bike. I really dont need a very strong wheel set on this bike i dont see my self doing huge things on it. I just need something light, and with lower side walls unlike the atom lab had/has.

Oh, my misunderstanding... thought you were talking about too much rim, not too much coin for the rim... sorry. I've seen some on sale actually, I believe at universalcycles, but that was awhile ago...