Quantcast

EX823 been eating the pies!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
My old D3.1 rim was 628g inc the inserts. They then changed the name to EX823, but the rim was identical. 2006 they bought out a new EX823 with a different cross-section.

I assumed the weight was very similar, turns out it's a massive increase to 716g!

Still, I've had mine for over a year and they're still running straight with no significant dings or flat spots, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yea, its been like that since 2006 if i am not mistake. still are great rims. mine have been dead straight for nearly two years now. i just ripped out an eyelet out of the rim last weekend tho. annoyed!!

wish mavic will sell the 821 soon tho!!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ran that rim all last year and it was great. Performed better than the 729 rims I had run since 2001. Plus I could finally go tubeless the right way. A lighter version would be nice too especially for the front wheel.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I find that they are one of the only rims that I don't end up dinging the sidewall. Almost double the price of anything else up here, but they last all season if not longer.

I do a bit of internet searching for those lighter/older rims. When I started at my old shop, they had a bunch, so I picked them all up. The lighter ones have a indented bead run along the outside of the rim and they are about 100 grams lighter per rim. Same durability (for me) and less rotational weight.

Got a set for the new DH rig. Actually laced them up with DT Rev spokes, well see how it lasts.

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
I ran the 823 last year too, great strong rim.
There is a reason why it is 100g heavier than the old one, the old ones dented way too easily and a dented tubeless rim is worthless.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
the ex823 uses a "special presta valve" right?

anyone of you have tried to used a schraeder valve? i mean a customized one to fit and seal the rim.

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile

anyone of you have tried to used a schraeder valve? i mean a customized one to fit and seal the rim.
i have a "customized" one sitting right next to me, but it was used with ghetto tubeless, so i can't assure you that it would still work with UST.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com

Why would you want a schrader valve/drill your 823's? The rims come with a schrader adapter and any bike shop sells those adapters for < $1.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
My old D3.1 rim was 628g inc the inserts. They then changed the name to EX823, but the rim was identical. 2006 they bought out a new EX823 with a different cross-section.

I assumed the weight was very similar, turns out it's a massive increase to 716g!
WOW, makes me love my Arrow FRX's even more at only 639g with no eyelets to rip out! I am a weight-weenie and didn't even know it! LOL

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
its good to hear all of this after building up one for myself and when i get the money another for the front.

I'm fine with a weight difference if the sidewalls are a little stronger, because that can definately be the make or brake of a UST rim. That and I have a tendency of denting a sidewall every now and then.

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
just finished up the wheel tensioning and everything. and im super please how easy it was to get Maxxis tires to seat on this rim. thumbs up to both companys for ease of set up.