Quantcast

Excel people! Show me those skills!!!

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
The monkey always comes through. Show me your stuff!

I am setting up a batch processing file for some image processing software. I have to reference about 100 files, so I don't want to type the file names over and over again. So, is there a way in Excel to reference a folder on drive X and have cells populated with filenames, including full path?

Let me know if you need clarification.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
EDIT: find /somedir -print | somecommand

works with any flavor of unix or linux

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just put the full path in a cell in the file, and have all of the other cells reference a concatenation of that cell and the file name.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Seriously, if you could mount the directory to an unix machine via Samba, you could run my command and just cut and paste...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EM011628721033.aspx

List all files from any path

The Directory File Listing Utility for Microsoft Excel is a free utility that lists up to 65,000 files from any path including subdirectories. An easy-to-use menu bar allows list sorting by filename, size, date and time, or path. It also prints and exports the file list to a new workbook for archival use. Complete documentation on Help tab. Standard Excel file, no installation necessary. Use with Excel 97, 2000, XP, 2003. Download from Web site.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
binary visions said:
Just put the full path in a cell in the file, and have all of the other cells reference a concatenation of that cell and the file name.
The reference would still need to build the file names. I actually want to just look up and print a bunch of file names with full paths.

If, by ANY CHANCE, someone knows how to do this in IDL, I could also try using that language. I just started learning it this week, though, so the directions would need to be pretty specific.

Thanks for all the help.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
binary visions said:
In case that wasn't clear, put:

C:\example\directory\here\ in, say, cell A1, then put your file names in column B, starting with B1.

Then, just copy and paste the formula:

CONCATENATE($A$1,B1)

...all through column C. Easy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:
In case that wasn't clear, put:

C:\example\directory\here\ in, say, cell A1, then put your file names in column B, starting with B1.

Then, just copy and paste the formula:

CONCATENATE($A$1,B1)

...all through column C. Easy.
I think he wants to generate this list dynamically. That link from MS does the job.

Now Binary Visions, how would I generate a list of files using awk?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
sanjuro said:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EM011628721033.aspx

List all files from any path

The Directory File Listing Utility for Microsoft Excel is a free utility that lists up to 65,000 files from any path including subdirectories. An easy-to-use menu bar allows list sorting by filename, size, date and time, or path. It also prints and exports the file list to a new workbook for archival use. Complete documentation on Help tab. Standard Excel file, no installation necessary. Use with Excel 97, 2000, XP, 2003. Download from Web site.

THIS WORKS GREAT!! Thanks so much!

-Sam

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am not surprised there is no direct MS way to do this. This reminded me of the Word Macro viruses a while ago.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sanjuro said:
I think he wants to generate this list dynamically. That link from MS does the job.
Ah. I misunderstood. In that case, wouldn't a dir /s > file.txt from the parent directory have worked? Am I not understanding the need?

Now Binary Visions, how would I generate a list of files using awk?
Hah. Never really got into awk. You shouldn't need awk, though, you should be able to just pipe it into a text file through standard command line functions, like the DOS version above.