Quantcast

Excel Power User...or so I thought!

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Ok, so today I am working on a cost estimate for some new equipment trying to organize a big blob of crapola in excel, when I discovered the 'data group' function. :clue:
How did I ever live without this?!?!? Anybody else use it?

My life is changed forever. :cool:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jimmydean said:
Sweet way to mess with crappy software. I hate Excel.
:think:

Excel is a little on the bloated side, but it has an absolutely enormous and extremely powerful feature set.

Totally useless for the average consumer of course, but in a business application, Excel is an extrodinarily powerful tool.

r-s: I am far more likely to organize "blobs of crap" into multiple worksheets or use color coding for a more visual organization... but yeah, still a good function :thumb:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
ragin-sagin said:
I suppose you guys would have to work to care...lazy farkin monkeys. Aint like it used to be!!
Excel is an awesome and versatile tool.

I'm not sure what you are using it for but if its any economic modeling then two excellent books are:

Principles of Finance with Excel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195301501/ref=pd_cp_b_title/102-5470216-8245749?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

and

Financial Modeling
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0262024829/ref=pd_bxgy_img_b/102-5470216-8245749?_encoding=UTF8

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jay Gatz said:
I use excel all the time. its a jack of all trades and super versatile. next, i'd like to get better with visual basic and be able to write macros to do a lot of my work.
And for you I have a few suggestions (if you are doing finance and business applications)

The EXCEL VBA programming for dummies. It really is an excellent text for the intro. My assistant used it to get up to speed with the basics and I use her copy as a reference from time to time.

VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel (Business Solutions)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789731290/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prod_10/102-5470216-8245749?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

VBA for Modelers : Developing Decision Support Systems Using Microsoft® Excel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0534380123/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prod_7/102-5470216-8245749?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Both of these are definately more advanced but offer a ton of excellent information.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jay Gatz said:
I use excel all the time. its a jack of all trades and super versatile. next, i'd like to get better with visual basic and be able to write macros to do a lot of my work.
If you have any programming background whatsoever, just jump right in. Visual Basic is an extremely easy language, and make liberal use of Google Groups to find snippits of code for your use.

I just created a pretty large spreadsheet with a couple hundred lines of code to calculate and manage equity and exemptions for the bankruptcy firm I work for. It turned out pretty well - it has been my largest Excel project to date.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
splat said:
OK excel Boys , I have been trying to figure out how to get excell to sort in order IP addresses ! :help:
Eh? Put 'em all in a column. Click the Data menu, then Sort. You can choose what column you want to sort by, and ascending or decending.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
binary visions said:
Eh? Put 'em all in a column. Click the Data menu, then Sort. You can choose what column you want to sort by, and ascending or decending.
The hitch is that IP's would be represented as character data, and that kind of thing won't sort properly.

Here, this Spreadsheet does it right.
It would require a macro to fully automate.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I did most of my 300 level statistics with Excel.

It can make graphs, and all associated tables. I even have an editable bell curve graphic as well.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
binary visions said:
:think:

Excel is a little on the bloated side, but it has an absolutely enormous and extremely powerful feature set.

Totally useless for the average consumer of course, but in a business application, Excel is an extrodinarily powerful tool.
I use it for all of my test documentation. It is a great way to set up configuration steps with a results tracking and sum it up for you. I wish there was something better, but the new Open Office isn't quite as done as I'd like it to be.

Jay Gatz

Monkey
Aug 14, 2004
NE for college, CO when i can
splat said:
OK excel Boys , I have been trying to figure out how to get excell to sort in order IP addresses ! :help:
What you can do is copy the IP addresses one column to the right, highlight them and then go to Data->text to columns then select delimited and go by periods (use "other"). then you have the numerical strings each in their own columns. Lets say you have the original IPs in col A and then the 4 pieces in B,C,D,E. So select the original IPs and the new delimted columns. Sort by the delimited cols, do E col first. then go back through and sort by B then C then D. You have to do the sorting the 2 steps because excel only does 3 fields at once.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Jay Gatz said:
What you can do is copy the IP addresses one column to the right, highlight them and then go to Data->text to columns then select delimited and go by periods (use "other"). then you have the numerical strings each in their own columns. Lets say you have the original IPs in col A and then the 4 pieces in B,C,D,E. So select the original IPs and the new delimted columns. Sort by the delimited cols, do E col first. then go back through and sort by B then C then D. You have to do the sorting the 2 steps because excel only does 3 fields at once.
yep. another valid solution.

so who's gonna write a macro to this in an automated fashion?

pepe

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
North of the border
Yeah - I went to a class and realized I knew a lot about Excel. I did get a cool list of keyboard short cuts. Some day I will put them in a doc and post them.

splat

Nam I am
Jay Gatz said:
I have tried that , But when you do the 2nd sort it messes up some of the first sort. :(