Quantcast

Excel question (Posted here so more folks will see it)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Does anyone know how to calculate times in excel, such as time clock data?

i.e.:

09:10 PDT
11:09 PDT
11:19 PDT
12:59 PDT

total hours worked

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dude, there's a whole section of the help file called "How Excel stores dates and times" and there are approximately six hundred and fourty-seven thousand pages that a Google search turns up on the subject :p

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Dude, there's a whole section of the help file called "How Excel stores dates and times" and there are approximately six hundred and fourty-seven thousand pages that a Google search turns up on the subject :p
Yeah, I know....However, without divulging client information, which is REAL specific, I was generalizing. :D

However, this post can be moved to the appropriate section. :thumb:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
That I did, but the time areas that were negative times showed up as #######, and I checked the formating if the column. So I figured I'd have to create a column sort for just those instances, reformat the formula and go from there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If something shows up as ###### it's because the column isn't wide enough. Double click on the right hand side of the column header to auto-expand it.

viper2pt0

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Somers, NY
If something shows up as ###### it's because the column isn't wide enough. Double click on the right hand side of the column header to auto-expand it.
While generally this is correct, it does not apply in this scenario. The reason being is that by default, excel uses the 1900 date format, which does not allow negative times. In order to properly display negative times you must change it to the 1904 format. To do this:
Tools --> Options --> Calculation --> 1904 Date System
This will let your negative times show properly.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
While generally this is correct, it does not apply in this scenario. The reason being is that by default, excel uses the 1900 date format, which does not allow negative times. In order to properly display negative times you must change it to the 1904 format. To do this:
And THAT was the answer I was looking for! Thanks! Ever in the Richmond area, give me a shout, beers for sure!

I already owe BV almost an entire brewery! ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Awesome. Thanks for the info.