Quantcast

Excellent Subaru News!

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
MunkeeHucker said:
Does that mean an end to those Saabaru's? That Gm made saab sell?
Yes it does

Automotive News said:
Toyota to buy 8.7% of Fuji Heavy from GM

Reuters

CLICK HERE FOR UPDATES

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. will buy an 8.7 percent stake in fellow Japanese automaker Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. from General Motors, which will dissolve its ties with Fuji, the companies said on Wednesday.
GM, which owns 20.09 percent of Fuji Heavy, has been struggling to repair a balance sheet dogged by huge pension and health care liabilities and address sliding U.S. sales amid cut-throat competition in the auto industry.

The U.S. automaker could use the cash as financing becomes more expensive following the downgrade of its debt to junk status this year by three top ratings agencies.

GM will sell its remaining 11.4 percent stake in Fuji Heavy, which makes Subaru cars and has an edge in all-wheel-drive technology, in the market.

Toyota will buy 68 million shares in Fuji Heavy and the two companies will study opportunities for tie-ups in research and development as well as production, Fuji Heavy said.

Fuji Heavy said it would end a joint-development project with GM's Saab brand and would book a 5 billion yen ($43.73 million) special loss in the current business year.

It revised its earnings outlook on Wednesday to reflect the one-off loss, saying it now expected a group net profit of 12 billion yen in the year to March, down 20 percent from its May projection of 15 billion yen.

Analysts have lately questioned the value of the Fuji Heavy-GM alliance as Subaru battles its own drop in sales.

Fuji Heavy recently began building a Saab model for GM, but their cooperation beyond that is limited to some joint parts procurement and collaboration on research and development.

GM also owns one fifth of Japanese minivehicle maker Suzuki Motor Corp. and about 8 percent of truck maker Isuzu Motors Ltd.

Toyota has capital alliances with Japanese minivehicle maker Daihatsu Motor Co. and truck maker Hino Motors Ltd., which are both majority-owned.

Before the announcement, Fuji Heavy shares ended the day up 2.27 percent at 540 yen, while Toyota stock closed down 0.94 percent at 5,250 yen. The Nikkei average was down 0.36 percent.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Any early speculation on what this might mean for Toyota or Subaru future offerings? If any joint R&D happens in the future perhaps a gradual introduction of Subaru AWD technology to Toyota models? Subarus with hybrid engines? Or will this just strictly be one for the books and bean counters?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
DamienC said:
Any early speculation on what this might mean for Toyota or Subaru future offerings? If any joint R&D happens in the future perhaps a gradual introduction of Subaru AWD technology to Toyota models? Subarus with hybrid engines? Or will this just strictly be one for the books and bean counters?
I'm hoping for the formers, not the latters. I'd love to see a full size Outback hybrid. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
I'm hoping for the formers, not the latters. I'd love to see a full size Outback hybrid. :thumb:
I want to see AWD via a traction motor at each wheel. Could make for some very interesting dynamic stability programs.

Instead of hybrids I want a Mr. fusion so I have a better way of getting rid of left overs. The French are supposedly close to it.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Andyman_1970 said:
Hopefully Toyota will put a stop to the new grill design on the Tribeca and Impreza.............
ew, the Tribeca. :rolleyes: It will suffer the same fate as the Baja. Which was f'n ridiculous anyway...who remakes a Brat?! Wasn't that like the preferred vehicle of pedophiles in the 80's? Too bad the Baja didn't have the plastic molded seat bolted in the bed. :rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
TN said:
ew, the Tribeca. :rolleyes: It will suffer the same fate as the Baja. Which was f'n ridiculous anyway...who remakes a Brat?! Wasn't that like the preferred vehicle of pedophiles in the 80's? Too bad the Baja didn't have the plastic molded seat bolted in the bed. :rolleyes:
You may be right. But never underestimate the number of people who will buy a vehicle with 7-passenger seating simply because they want/need the space but will *not* buy a minivan due to some personal hangup. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Toyota bought only 8.7% of the company that owns Subaru. I don't think this gives 'yota the power to go in and do whatever they want, some cooperation maybe.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Westy said:
Toyota bought only 8.7% of the company that owns Subaru. I don't think this gives 'yota the power to go in and do whatever they want, some cooperation maybe.
Yep. Hopefully there will be some technology cooperation, etc.

Better to cooperate with Toyota than GM, IMO.

BillT

Monkey
I think this news will mean just about nothing to the consumer. I don't think we're going to have boxer engined Celicas or hybrid Tribecas anytime soon.

BTW, the Tribeca is actually selling pretty well. They sold almost 1900 in September which is not bad compared to the 1630 Impreza sedans and 1150 Impreza wagons they sold especially given the price differences between the models. Once you get past the grill and the fact that the engine could use 30-50 more hp, the Tribeca is really nice. Its interior is the best that Subaru has ever done.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
BillT said:
Once you get past the grill and the fact that the engine could use 30-50 more hp, the Tribeca is really nice. Its interior is the best that Subaru has ever done.
I have to agree. I finally had a good look at a Tribeca in person at a Subaru dealership last week while they were doing an oil change for my Outback and I was quite impressed.