Quantcast

Exclusive: 2013 Heavy Pedal Tour-Canyons Bike Park

abercrave

Chimp
Oct 31, 2013
As a biker, I agree wholeheartedly with the article. But, as a Utahn, I have to disagree with that last bit. The 3.2% law only applies to draft beer and alcohol sold in grocery stores. We even have some awesome breweries here. Right off the bat I'm thinking of Epic, Red Rock, Squatter's, Wasatch, and Uinta, but that's only a small sampling. The only catch is that you have to hit up their breweries or restaurants, a bar, or one of the state-run liquor stores to pick up their high point offerings (as well as other more well-known national and international brands).

Z-bomb

Chimp
May 22, 2006
Small correction for abercrave:
The "3.2%" law was written just after prohibition ended, and back then everyone measured alcohol content by *weight* not volume. 3.2% ABW equals 4% ABV. Which is why whenever you look at a bottled beer from a UT grocery store or gas station it says "4% ABV".

Let's end the stupid 3.2 thing and call a spade a spade. It's 4% folks, and, as abercrave correctly stated) it only applies to beer bought in a) a grocery store; b) a convenience store; or c) on draft anywhere (bars included). You can get 13.5% ABV Samichlaus at the liquor/wine stores and lots of stuff in between, you just have to plan ahead a little unfortunately.

Pro tip: The only place you can buy refrigerated bottled beer that's strong (anywhere from 4.5% - ~13%) is Epic Brewing at 825 S. State St. in Salt Lake. They make some killer beers and are open every day, including holidays, when the liquor/wine stores are not.

abercrave

Chimp
Oct 31, 2013
@Z-bomb:

I think most people are aware of the lack of a distinction between the units, but they still know it - and refer to it - as the "three-two" law. I've yet to hear mention of the "four-oh" law...