Quantcast

Exclusive Justin Leov/TWR Interview with Ian Hylands Photos

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Trek World Racing is one of the best teams in the world, that much is undeniable. Its athletes consistently top the results, athletes like Kiwi Justin Leov; here is our interview with Justin and photos from his season.
---

Photos by Ian Hylands

First, what have you been up to since September and the end of the 2010 season?

JL: Well it been a busy offseason, I’ve been riding and traveling around NZ a lot. I’ve also been building a pump track in my back yard, renovating our house and I got engaged so planning a wedding as well.

Do you have a specific or arduous training regiment laid out or is it more about having fun and approaching the races loosely?

JL: I share the same coach as Blinky (Sam) and Cameron Cole so we’re pretty well planned out for what we need to do. This year I’ve been trying to structure my training around doing as much as I can off road. It’s more fun but I think it’s better to always try and have some skills mixed into what you’re doing, because we do race in a skills environment.

Living in the Southern Hemisphere you get to race year round, whereas many racers spend the off-season away from the track. In what way do you consider this an advantage? Do you see any adverse affects?

JL: You definitely have to be careful not to over race yourself and it’s easy to get caught up and do that. I usually pick the races closest to home and the key ones I see have relevance to the World Cups. Being able to race all year has to be an advantage, you can test your riding and make adjustments before the World Cup season hits and you can keep yourself pushing forwards.

Where is your favorite place to ride at home in New Zealand?

JL: I really enjoy Queenstown at the moment, the tracks are epic and now the gondola is open that makes it more of a draw card.

Looking ahead to this year are there any tracks that you’re excited to race, and any that look a bit daunting?

JL: I’m really looking forward to Fort William, it’s typically been one I’ve struggled with in the past and I’ve thought about it a lot in the offseason as to why. It will kind of be a small victory to do well this year and figure that place out. They’re all daunting tracks, especially in the European weather conditions, but that makes World Cups what they are!

Photo by Greg Waugh.

You had a lot of success at the ProGRTs and at Crankworx last year, will your schedule permit you to race many North American races this year?

JL: Yes, I’m going to be at the US Open and a few of the Pro Gravity series races again this year. I enjoy the racing in the US and the tracks are a lot of fun to race. I unfortunately won’t be at Crankworx this year though.

What are your main goals approaching the 2011 World Cups?

JL: I really want to see the podium again in 2011 and if I can show consistency again in the World Cup series I will be happy.

Who is one person on the circuit that you have developed a rivalry with over the years?

JL: To be honest I want to beat everyone, but especially the guys around my age.

Being part of a team like TWR, how would you describe your relationship with your teammates?

JL: We’re a tight group at TWR. You have to be really when you travel and live with a group for the amount of time we do. The chemistry is an important thing in a team and I’ve actually been lucky to have that the whole time while riding for TWR.

Are there any major differences in how you prepare versus how Neko, Aaron and Tracy approach race day?

JL: We all have our little things, I’m not sure what Aaron does these days but my little vice is to have a good coffee from our truck before I head up the hill for my race. It seems to pick me up and get me in the zone before the start.

With the addition of Gwin to the roster, do you see the team dynamic changing at all?

JL: No I’ve worked with Gwin before. He’s mellow and shares the same goals. He wants to get it done.

Who or what has been the single biggest influence on your riding style?

JL: Good question, I think you ride the way you do and that’s your own style. I’ve definitely picked up small things from my fellow Kiwis especially Cameron Cole. But I wouldn’t say I ride like any of them. That’s what’s cool about this sport, there are so many different styles and more than one way to race fast down the hill.

Photo by Greg Waugh.

The clock is always the ultimate judge of speed, but is there any racer who you feel is faster than his/her race results have shown?

JL: Ben Reid, that kid is scary fast in practice but hasn’t quite put it together yet in the final.

Thanks very much Justin, best of luck this season.

Thanks a lot.

[fblike]http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3613332#post3613332[/fblike]

Attachments

neych4

Chimp
Jul 26, 2011
this is really cool...i like JMK Design your show. i am always looking forward to your further info and show....

Last edited: