Quantcast

Exclusive Scoop: New Tires From WTB

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
From the Bigwheeled Ballyhoo, Decorah, Iowa: We saw a very rare WTB prototype 29"er tire on a Niner Bike at the Ballyhoo this weekend. It's a 2.1" tire called the Prowler. It's kind of a mix between an old Dart version 2, the tread on the Magic compound Darts, and an Ignitor. Evenly spaced, slightly curved rectangles running along the length of the casing, which looked slightly crowned, very WTB-ish, with side knobs. I'm thinking it would be a great front tire, not so much a rear, although the Niner was set up front and rear with them. We had slightly greasy trail conditions, and these tires were hooking up better than some and clearing better than alot of others were. Niner boys say there are only three of these proto types in existence right now.

That's not all. We know now that WTB is coming out with three other tread patterns in sizes ranging from the 2.1 through 2.3 and up to another 2.55 incher.

So, to recap, there will be two 2.1 tires a 2.3, and a 2.55 coming later in the year. (Think Interbike)

We also got to ride the Fox fork on the new '08 Paragon. I thought it was every bit as good as a Reba in performance, but the real kicker is the way the 51mm offset works with the G2 geometry. Nuetral handling in slow or fast conditions. Like an old friend, you knew just what to expect the bike to do in every situation. No wheel flop at crawling, grunting climb speeds and absolutely rock solid on descents.

We didn't have a manual, and the mechanic with the demo trailer didn't have a clue on the proper set up. So, we guessed! It was set at 50psi in the main chamber when we checked it, and at 240 lbs, I didn't like the squish. So we upped it to 85psi eventually, and that performed exactly as my 150psi/140psi Reba settings. I changed the rebound slightly during the run, which I can't say I could feel, maybe I just thought it calmed it down, but more testing would be necessary to judge that. The lock out worked great. The closer you moved the lever to full lock out, the more it affected compression, or so it seemed. Again, more time needed and a proper manual to discern exactly what it was I was tweaking on to make a call here.

This fork is laterally rigid though, I can say that much. Nary a flinch from those stanchions even on some crazy off camber runs and over diagonally placed roots and rocks. The fork was quiet with the exception of an occaisional hiss on really big hits.

The Paragon is going to be one of the top hardtails this coming year. It's spec'ed better than '07, has a completely new frame and look, and rides so good! I included some shots to highlight the frame's improvements. All hydroformed tubing. Even the chainstays have assymetric hydroformed shapes and are clearanced for up to 2.55" tires.

The Hi Fi was also there, but I didn't get a chance to ride it. Many were singing it's praises though, so I suspect it's also going to be a hot bike for '08.

The wheels were the new Rhythm Pros that are tubeless ready, so these bikes will be tubeles compatible right outta the box, for you guys that gotta have that.

We'll be putting more up on all of this at Twenty Nine Inches, but you got the scoop here first! :monkeydance: