Quantcast

Exercis's and stretches

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
Could any of you suggest some exercise's you do before and after riding, as im getting bad muscule strains in my legs, back and abdominal area.

Many Thanks

Jason

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
if you pm me your email address...i can scan some stuff I've gotten from my massage classes. We incorporate a lot of stretches in sports massage.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Graphics said:
if you pm me your email address...i can scan some stuff I've gotten from my massage classes. We incorporate a lot of stretches in sports massage.
Ooo! I need those! I am by far and away the least flexible person I know. Perhaps you wouldn't mind sending them to me as well?

Unless of course you want to demonstrate. I'd be up for that.

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
Polandspring88 said:
Ooo! I need those! I am by far and away the least flexible person I know. Perhaps you wouldn't mind sending them to me as well?

Unless of course you want to demonstrate. I'd be up for that.
I said we INCORPORATE them in our massages...i DIDN'T say I DO them!!! but....:nope:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
What I use: Check out the book Core Performance by Mark V. There's a section in the book called Movement Prep. I do those series of stretches everytime after I workout, plus another few stretches for my abs, back, achilies/calf, plantar fascia, and ITB.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Try the book "Stretching" (I know, original title...dont blame me, I dint write it. Keep reading to see who is responsible.) by Bob and Jean Anderson (See, I told you to keep reading. Persistence pays off!). It is 20 something years old, and has stretches for before and after many activities. Dont just stretch for pedaling, incorporate it into your daily routine. It is a quality of life issue that is sorely neglected by most of us...

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
JohnE said:
Try the book "Stretching" (I know, original title...dont blame me, I dint write it. Keep reading to see who is responsible.) by Bob and Jean Anderson (See, I told you to keep reading. Persistence pays off!). It is 20 something years old, and has stretches for before and after many activities. Dont just stretch for pedaling, incorporate it into your daily routine. It is a quality of life issue that is sorely neglected by most of us...
Agreed. Best thing I ever did for my body was buy this book and use it. The newest version even has specific stretches for mt. bikers.
You can also go to www.webmd.com and type in specific injuries for PT suggestions. Worked great when I strained my rotator cuff.
Just did that again over the weekend so I'm hoping it works again.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i must confess i don't do as much stretching as i should. My work is physical so i stay pretty strong, and also after many years of riding steady i rarely have any soreness or muscular pain unless i overdo/undernourish and cramp.

But i do work on my core every morning. i used to have one leg shorter than the other which gave me scoliosis. So with a bad back over the years i've done a daily regimen of various crunches. Your abs support your back and it's crucial to keep them strong if you have back problems.

Before and after a ride stretching is a good idea....

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
JohnE said:
Good suggestion. I'll have to check it out

edit: I really like stretching on a stability ball. It's such a gentle way of stretching your back and it makes a huge difference esp. before riding a road bike.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Note: I am not a personal trainer, but I do know that any serious stretching performed before exercising can lead to muscle pulls. If you insist on stretching before really exercising, I suggest doing some small cardio work for at least 5 minutes to loosen your muscles.

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut