Quantcast

exit 5X

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
66 said:
Actually no. I saw a big deal going on but was lucky to keep away. What happened?
Ur...sorry for the attitude Matt.

I don't really want to go into details because there is just too much drama, but apparently mountain biking in Washington and Oregon is illegal :nope:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Certified Drunk said:
Matt, Why are you bringing this up in the first place????? :mumble: You might as well have let the cat out of the bag!

:confused: What cat? Dude, honestly who didn't know people were shuttling the Pass? Migel was up there almost every weekend with his rig.

You can still keep it on the DL but there are signs EVERYWHERE now(vs. yesterday and last week) and the USFS will write tickets in the range of $100+ and that's not including the attitude you'll get from the King County Sheriff.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
For being on the trails themselves? What if you park at the base and ride up. Yes i know nobody except for me will do that......

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
*sigh*

i was wondering how long it was going to take before USFS came down on this. really sad. maybe this is a sign that people want lift access? :)

time to take my "skateboarding is not a crime" tshirt and use a sharpie to turn it into a "mountain biking is not a crime shirt" :(

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
seand said:
*sigh*

i was wondering how long it was going to take before USFS came down on this. really sad. maybe this is a sign that people want lift access? :)
I don't think there was ever a question that ppl wanted lift access, but in reality I don't think the Pass will ever open again for mt. bikes. The USFS has a hold on the majority of the area up there.

Plus there are endangered species on the Pass :rolleyes:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
seand said:
*sigh*

time to take my "skateboarding is not a crime" tshirt and use a sharpie to turn it into a "mountain biking is not a crime shirt" :(
I was wondering the same thing too - just sounded too good to be true. Oh well, at least people had fun while it lasted.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
Anyone want to buy a new Giant, and a used M1??? :( (Not really) But it's getting to the point where it's kind of pointless to have a dh bike when you don't have anywhere with in an hour driving distance to ride it with out getting a ticket!!! :mad:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
MUTOLI said:
Anyone want to buy a new Giant, and a used M1??? :( (Not really) But it's getting to the point where it's kind of pointless to have a dh bike when you don't have anywhere with in an hour driving distance to ride it with out getting a ticket!!! :mad:
Thats why i have a agressive trail bike as well as a DH bike......

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
thats why my FS bike is put away :)

it seems my trailbike (hardtail) is the only thing that I ride anymore...

it really is sad, but such is life i guess.

flashgordon

Chimp
Oct 18, 2003
Woodinville WA
The USFS can screw off for all I care thay cant stop us from riding.Thay cant make up laws too suite there needs. theres a procces that must be followed in order for a law to be passed,show me where it states where braking any law.there just trying to BULLY us it's all a bunch of BS

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
flashgordon said:
The USFS can screw off for all I care thay cant stop us from riding.Thay cant make up laws too suite there needs. theres a procces that must be followed in order for a law to be passed,show me where it states where braking any law.there just trying to BULLY us it's all a bunch of BS
Yea, that will help get more trails open!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
flashgordon said:
Eh, I totally agree with it being unfair, but the USFS lady...Kelly B was acctually pretty nice dealing with Kevin. The cop dude was a total dick, and not just because he was telling us to leave...a true dick.

I'm trying to search where it lists the laws about it being illegal, but it's all government crap....

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Snacks said:
Eh, I totally agree with it being unfair, but the USFS lady...Kelly B was acctually pretty nice dealing with Kevin. The cop dude was a total dick, and not just because he was telling us to leave...a true dick.

I'm trying to search where it lists the laws about it being illegal, but it's all government crap....

Kelly is the lady that I dealt with up at 38 back when that episode occured she was extremely nice back then also.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Freak said:
Kelly is the lady that I dealt with up at 38 back when that episode occured she was extremely nice back then also.
Ya, she was pretty nice considering the fact. She kept thinking she talked to all of us before, but honestly we had never seen her, just heard about her....she probably can't tell us apart.

I wanted to tell her she'd get alot farther if the cop kept his yap shut, but I was afraid if I opened my mouth I'd say too much :mumble:

flashgordon

Chimp
Oct 18, 2003
Woodinville WA
When was the last time a trail got opened OH YA NEVER!!!!!!!!!! YAH Kelly Biotch is real nice as she kicks us off public lands and lies through her teeth. THIS COMPLACENCE IS RUNNING RAMPENT AND IT'S MAKING ME SICK,SICK,SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
flashgordon said:
The USFS can screw off for all I care thay cant stop us from riding.Thay cant make up laws too suite there needs....
They own the land...I think they can do what they want. Whether the proper procedure was followed or not, which none of us know's, when it comes down to it, you are riding on government land....they say what goes.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
just like parachutte pants this topic is back in style......

i dont care about all this really. I visit those places once in a while. If they were extinct it wouldnt really put a damper on my riding... My DH ride is genrally only used at races and events, or whistler. Oregon is on it, and i'll probably start spending more time down there.... it is after all home.....

:nopity:

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
It does suck for DH'ers over the past few years. Lifts have stopped running in the summer, trails are getting shut down, etc.
I know there are some projects in the works but moving forward, there is going to have to be a partnership between land owners and land users. I don't think that exists too much for MTB'ers right now.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
flashgordon said:
When was the last time a trail got opened OH YA NEVER!!!!!!!!!! YAH Kelly Biotch is real nice as she kicks us off public lands and lies through her teeth. THIS COMPLACENCE IS RUNNING RAMPENT AND IT'S MAKING ME SICK,SICK,SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so why not put your money where your mouth is, get a public council meeting together, and be heard in the correct forum. The only way to spark a change is to correctly address those that make the laws restricting your desired actions. Until you do that, or until anyone does that, things will continue on the path they are currently moving on.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
seand said:
so why not put your money where your mouth is, get a public council meeting together, and be heard in the correct forum. The only way to spark a change is to correctly address those that make the laws restricting your desired actions. Until you do that, or until anyone does that, things will continue on the path they are currently moving on.
Ya, that sounds all nice, but honestly it still won't happen. Kelly even said it would take 10+ years to get the trails re-opened.

The DNR is better to work with.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Parachute pants are back in? damn, I need to make a trip to Goodwill.

Maybe i'll find a nice DH bike there while I'm at it.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Borneo said:
Parachute pants are back in? damn, I need to make a trip to Goodwill.

Maybe i'll find a nice DH bike there while I'm at it.

I just dusted mine off.

At this rate there will be some good DH bikes at goodwill.............

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Snacks said:
Ya, that sounds all nice, but honestly it still won't happen. Kelly even said it would take 10+ years to get the trails re-opened.

The DNR is better to work with.

I've worked with justin@bbtc and had a conversation with him very similar to the one we are having, and it ended in the same fashion :)

i know it would take forever to happen, but i was just giving flashgordon a hard time.

dnr is great to work with. ive had many great experiences with them :)

i think a night ride (tiger or suntop) is in order this evening.

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
Reminds me of a comment Greg Herbold made in a video way back in 1992 or something... roughly, "After riding the chairlifts this weekend at this DH race, I'm going to have a lot of climbing to do to get right with God".

Shuttling and chairlifts are great if you're on good terms with the landowners, but don't think they owe you anything.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Snacks said:
...but apparently mountain biking in Washington and Oregon is illegal :nope:
Actually, what she said was DOWNHILLING is illegal in WA and OR state. I was just assuming she meant on USFS controlled land as DHing is certainly legal in Port Angeles, Montesano, Beacon hill (Spokane), Post Canyon, Government Camp, Willamette Pass, Santiam(?), etc.
However she did say we could ride the roads. YAY!