Quantcast

Exiting the rat race

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I didn't see a positive net worth until I was 40 mainly due to selling homes in a down market, once you do hit break even the assets add up more quickly than you would think.

I have no advice but what worked for us was paying off the cars and not getting new ones, not spending more on a house than we gross in a year and cutting back on bike bits.

The other interesting thing I have learned is that older I get the more satisfied I am with my job so, because I have qualified pension with cash value and 401K match, I could retire at 55. Sticking out to 62 nearly doubles my benefit, sticking it out to 67 triples it... as long as I continue to like my job I will continue to work.

What will stop me from tetiring early is the high cost of health insurance, my dad retired at 60 and paid nearly 3K a month for 2 years and $1800 for another year until my mom turned 62. He hated his job so it was worth it to him.
Good advice. I plan to adhere to it with modification. House was about 1.8x gross, we'll probably get a Tesla or two down the road (but after more pressing financial things are taken care of), and I cut back on the bike bits long ago. :D

I'm probably too comfortable with debt, but I feel no compulsion to pay it off early since it's all at low effective rates at this point: highest is 2.875%, lowest is near 0%.

I think I'll truly hit 0 net worth this fall, at age 34, fwiw. Goal from there is to increase net worth by at least $100k/yr before accounting for market changes so as to hit financial independence asap.

In hindsight I should have retired five years earlier. That, however, might have caused some transformative personal changes in 2011 and 2012 not to happen...
It's hard to second guess past choices. Seems like you've been making the most of your newly free time, though. :thumb:

The fact that you're in your mid thirties and looking forward to hitting positive net worth is an interesting symbol of current times. I started with positive net worth lets say in my teens sometime and with the exception of a mortgage never incurred debt. Everything else was paid for up front with cash. This did not depend on family money, it was based on earned income and savings.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's all the student loans. At least for me it was state med school student loans (parents paid for my Ivy League undergrad), plus being on the hook for my non-working wife's small undergrad and big master's degree debt. Due to the length of medical training, which for me was a total of 10 years past undergrad plus a year off before starting that train, I basically couldn't even cover interest on my loans until last year.

For people who just went to undergrad I would hope that they would be out of the hole by their late 20s. Sadly this isn't the case. People are generally bad with money.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yup. One house, one wife, and hopefully one job (now that I'm done with those years of training where I necessarily jumped around).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
As much as you think you will need. Double it. Even if you don't hit your goal. You're still well ahead. Once you become accustomed to living below your means. You more then likely will continue to think like that well into retirement. I have plenty of time to spend money now and I do. You get your statement and think... Hell I can do that or buy that. Once you dip below your projections as I have their is no longer a way to recover from those dips. So I am back living like a Ghettobird until I recover.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The fact that you're in your mid thirties and looking forward to hitting positive net worth is an interesting symbol of current times. I started with positive net worth lets say in my teens sometime and with the exception of a mortgage never incurred debt. Everything else was paid for up front with cash. This did not depend on family money, it was based on earned income and savings.
were you not a teen before the advent of the credit card?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is why people bitch and moan when their gas bill goes up $40/month. They live that close to the edge.

/notwinning

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
It's too easy to spend money you don't have, ever notice that those who pay cash buy more modest vehicles and keep them for a longer period of time? I had a 500 dollar car payment in the mid 90s and it didn't bother me at all, I'd be pissing a storm if I had to that today.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I financed both of my vehicles for 65 months... because DCU has/had the same rates until that point. I invest the difference and it makes cash flow easier since I am salaried and paid monthly but have a non-negligible yearly bonus.

At these rates it makes no sense for people who have their financial shit in order not to finance: 1.24% on the EV, 1.49% on the gas guzzler. I'm planning on keeping the former until 2020 when its extended warranty is up, the latter forever.

I agree that the stats do not bode well for the populace in general, who roll in negative equity from prior loans and make poor financial decisions, on the other hand.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Because you have a lot of young/stupid money, too. There are 20somethings around here rolling M5's, R8's and GTR's (average sticker price near 6 figures). When I was in my 20's, my truck payment was $135 a month for 48 months through the credit union. :panic:

My buddy Danny is nearing 40 and just bought a GTR. But his is an '09 he got for $48k and paid cash because he's got it like that.

<edit> $135 being about $225 in todays money (because I am old). :rofl:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Because you have a lot of young/stupid money, too. There are 20somethings around here rolling M5's, R8's and GTR's (average sticker price near 6 figures). When I was in my 20's, my truck payment was $135 a month for 48 months through the credit union. :panic:

My buddy Danny is nearing 40 and just bought a GTR. But his is an '09 he got for $48k and paid cash because he's got it like that.

<edit> $135 being about $225 in todays money (because I am old). :rofl:
My first mortgage payment was $165.00, I put 10K down on a 26K house...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My new truck payment is $220, so i will call it $135...
My car payment is $275, but my interest rate sucks due to vehicle age (an '01 purchased in '14 with 70k miles). I could get a personal loan at a better rate and pay the higher interest bitch off, but I'm lazy (and only have like a year left). :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
PITI on my mortgage is just shy of $3,400. The two car notes are just over $900 combined. Two student loans are about $3,100 combined on 7 and 10 year repayment, respectively.

The upside is it's going to feel like I have a metric shit-ton of money once this debt is retired as we live within our means after servicing all these debts dutifully (and we don't carry any high interest debt).

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
holy balls, Toshi. :twitch:

my first home was a townhouse, cost $79,000.
my second home was moving into my ex's city condo. we had deeded parking spaces that sold for $60k /ea.

these days I squirrel away every buck I can, and still manage to have a decent quality of life.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Educational investments and housing aside, debt decreases your ability to control future regardless of interest. Living within ones means shouldn't include too many monthly payment options, particularly when depreciating assets are involved.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Debt is leverage. I am highly leveraged. It's also all in my name plus I'm insured for death and disability alike so I and my family will be ok in most any circumstance.

Given this I see no reason to not maintain this leverage. It'll unwind eventually but for now it let's me live month to month, not rely on the bonus too much, max out my tax deferred spaces (401(a), 403(b), 457(b), HSA), and put away what extra may exist into Betterment.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
52 years old.
Currently run a 2003 Civic SiR.
Bought new, paid off 2006.
Currently not stock - many many modifications. Engine swap, IHE, suspension, big brake swap etc etc
Basically a toy, (8500 rpm redline is a whole bunch of fun )

Other car is a 2006 Mazda 6 Wagon.
Again bought new, and paid off years ago.
Just had a full body job and paint. (Canadian winters can suck - lotsa salt = lotsa rust)
Mechanically solid, low mileage - much better ROI to fix the body then replace it.

Would I like a couple of new vehicles?
Ya, to a point, but when I look at costs, vs what is available / new tech / quality - I just don't see any value.

When the current vehicles ( which are worth pretty much nothing book wise) start costing close to a car payment a month in maintenance / or are just plain worn out - then I guess I will look at something else.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My truck is a '92 I paid cash for (left over from the insurance payout on the first Vette). In the near 4 years I've had it it has only cost me a $130 radiator and I might change the oil one day, too. :rofl:

I hate my student loans, but I needed education.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That link just redirects to the standard "rates as low as 1.99% APR*" page for auto loans.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That link just redirects to the standard "rates as low as 1.99% APR*" page for auto loans.
They offer loans for Mecum auctions, so you can get pre-approved $300k for the '63 all original Vette, and you can do it for as little as 1.99%!!! In a year, the Vette will be worth DOUBLE what you paid for it while only gaining minimal interest. It is the most sound investment strategy I have ever seen.

Pump and dump of classic cars.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It saddens me that I'll never be able to afford, or at least justify, a Singer 911. (If I could afford it why didn't I retire that much earlier?)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It saddens me that I'll never be able to afford, or at least justify, a Singer 911. (If I could afford it why didn't I retire that much earlier?)
Just keep your eyes out for an ole water cooled. I'd have to think that would be tons of fun.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just keep your eyes out for an ole water cooled. I'd have to think that would be tons of fun.
Water cooled? Sacrilege. A grandma-garaged 993 with 20k miles for a steal would be great down the road...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Water cooled? Sacrilege. A grandma-garaged 993 with 20k miles for a steal would be great down the road...
I meant air cooled, I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The upside of such an unconventional venture is huge. So is the downside. The lesson he should have learned is that with $3M he didn't need to gamble but rather just settle for the same returns as everyone else, as that would have been pretty swell in and of itself.