Quantcast

expanding my horizons

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
hey,

i am in a rut here in socal riding. i tend to hit the same trails in the simi/santa monica area. time for a change. who is out riding this weekend some place a bit more north (SB) or south (OC) and willing to show a new guy around? i got a hardtail and a DH rig and am open to checking out new sheezy. i am not that fast and i am not much of a jumper, but i do ok. i don't have big lungs, but slow and steady will at least finish the race.

help a :monkey: out

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Yeah, hit up Fontana this weekend. And check out the Skyline Ride thread. We'll be doing another Mt. Wilson shuttle sometime later this month as well.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
You're in Hollywood? That's not for at all. Hit Fontana this week and Skyline next week. Mt. Wilson is right up your alley so you should most def. hit the next one.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
gonna pass on fontana. did it once a few years ago. i am not a big fan of the dh race scene. i am down for the skyline ride. i am assuming this is a bit more of a dh ride? i would need to do a saturday ride next weekend (going on vacation early the following sunday).

any good XCish rides in the angeles forest? i have not hit that area much. i would like to just kick back and pedal through some of the natural goodness for a bit. suggestions?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You need some Mt. Wilson therapy...just treat it like an XC ride, not a DH one, even if you're shuttling. "DHing" on Mt. Wilson is bad, mmmmkay?

MD

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
MikeD said:
You need some Mt. Wilson therapy...just treat it like an XC ride, not a DH one, even if you're shuttling. "DHing" on Mt. Wilson is bad, mmmmkay?

MD
understood.

is trailhead of choice (maybe an online map) or is wilson a place that is hush hush and only to be shown by friends? i have never been and my try this weekend.

R

Rabie

mandown said:
understood.

is trailhead of choice (maybe an online map) or is wilson a place that is hush hush and only to be shown by friends? i have never been and my try this weekend.
What day? I'll probably go check out the Fontana course on Saturday, but may be down for a Wilson ride on Sunday.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
LOON - i just got bummed at fontana about the amount of time it takes to drive and then the amount of time spent on the shuttle relative to the amount of time on the course.

Rabie - probably gonna go out on saturday. sorry. that is the dedicated "ride day" for me and my crew based on the other sheezy we got goin' on in the rest of our lives. however, if we have a ton of fun at wilson, or if we don't go at all, we may be back next saturday as well. so keep me in mind and post up or send a pm.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Fontana should be pretty fun, they have two shuttles now, much less time spent waiting, more time spent riding. Wilson is a great shuttle, but unless you're going with people who have been before, it would be pretty easy to get lost.

Besides, what other 'shezzy' you got going on with your homies? Going to Whistla camp this year?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
W4S said:
Fontana should be pretty fun, they have two shuttles now, much less time spent waiting, more time spent riding. Wilson is a great shuttle, but unless you're going with people who have been before, it would be pretty easy to get lost.

Besides, what other 'shezzy' you got going on with your homies? Going to Whistla camp this year?

thanks for the update.

i got personal obligations that take time on sunday. my bud has a kid he's gotta deal with on sunday's too (the wife gives him one day to ride and he picked sat).

ima be all up in whistla this year. bummed that there is no big bear. going there helped me out tons to prepare for whistler (not that they are much alike, just that it was good to go fast on a big mountain). this will be my last whistler year for a while. after this, i sell teh bb7, get a more "all purpose" bike and start lookin for new trails in other parts of the continent.

GunShow?

Chimp
May 12, 2004
mandown said:
LOON - i just got bummed at fontana about the amount of time it takes to drive and then the amount of time spent on the shuttle relative to the amount of time on the course.
Adam, I'll be at Fontana this weekend, but come down to the OC soon and Santos and I will show you some good riding.

If not, I'll see you in August......For heli drop #2

Brent

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
GunShow? said:
Adam, I'll be at Fontana this weekend, but come down to the OC soon and Santos and I will show you some good riding.

If not, I'll see you in August......For heli drop #2

Brent
WERD!!!

andy shandy already told me the heli is a go. DOPE!!!

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Mandown,
I see your thinking/preparing for Whistla.... thats good. hey I might do Fontucky Sat...they do say its fun.
However, I do reccomend Bootleg Canyon for a Whistla primer. Yeah its 4 hrs... but ther's some good stuff for all levels.
Im debating between Fontucky and Bootleg for this weekend

If you or anybody ends up doing Wilson On Sun, please advise.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Edgy said:
Mandown,
I see your thinking/preparing for Whistla.... thats good. hey I might do Fontucky Sat...they do say its fun.
However, I do reccomend Bootleg Canyon for a Whistla primer. Yeah its 4 hrs... but ther's some good stuff for all levels.

might have to hit a bootleg run with you soon. sounds fun and i have wanted to hit that spot. how do you do the trip? all in one day? spend the night?

R

Rabie

Edgy said:
Mandown,

Edgy, go to Fontana on Sat and let's do Wilson on Sunday. In two weeks, I'll be down to join you at Bootleg every weekend.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
mandown said:
might have to hit a bootleg run with you soon. sounds fun and i have wanted to hit that spot. how do you do the trip? all in one day? spend the night?
We usually drive up Sat morn ride all day, stay overnite(its cheap) and ride a half day Sun. I'm available for any riding every other weekend and I'm down for just about anything..SB, SD, AZ, etc. Let me know in advance if you have any ideas.

Rabie....I'm still up in the air bout Bootleg/Fontucky this weekend. Mark just called and said hes down for Bootleg this weekend, the weather is prime and if I don't ride this weekend it'll be 2 weeks till I can out again.....gotta go, while the gettins' good.... I'll let you know either way :evil:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
mandown said:
understood.

Saturday is practice only, and the course is supposed to be sick. I think most people will be heading out there this weekend. Other than that, I would be willing to take a drive up to SB for some riding. I live in the Simi area, and like to hit up other spots. However, I will be in good ol' Fontucky this weekend...