Quantcast

expensive hobbies...

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
who here has some expensive hobbies? on top of downhilling i'm an ice hockey goalie. been looking at new gear lately and i'm about to drop $1100 on new pads...that's just the pads not including gloves which r an extra $300 or so. pants r in the $200 range, chest/arm is another $200 something...jeez, all that on top of my new DH bike which is on its way and my car is about to die...not to mention bills have to be paid. i need another job lol

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, skiing/snowboarding is expensive! as is eating nice food, and my trumpets/piano (altho those don't need updating every year. few things to wear out :D ).

oh yeah, and photography. how did i forget that? must be repression

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
my dad got me the watches bug.
hes got quite a collection.

a 1998 rolex daytona steel white dial, a rolex daytona paul newman, an extremey rare steel rolex daytona made for the peruvian air force (the only factory engraved rolex´s in existance). a IWC portuguese perpetual calendar, a omega speedmaster Michael Schummacher edition, a gold-steel rolex submariner and an audemars royal oak black dial and a few others

someday theyll be mine!!!!!!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
zedro said:
no, thats called shopping for and wearing jewlery :sneaky:

remember, you dont want the wife thinking taking the credit card for a spin is a legitimate hobby!

yeah right, like using a 600 bucks CK hubset, or a 900 bucks campagnolo carbon crankset doesnt fall in the same category as "wearing jewerly".... :blah:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
The Kadvang said:
Surfing... i need to shell out for a new wetsuit this season, and snowboarding.

surfing... are you kidding me... surfing has to be one of the cheapest... hell, board, wettie, leg rope... thats what i used to love about it... a good wetsuit is expensive but if you rinse it out and dry it in the shade you get 3 - 4 years out of one... snowboarding on the other hand... that is some spendy crap...

the most $$$ i used to put into surfing was gas money and i only lived about 70kms from some of the sickest waves in australia (the world infact)...

parts <-- land locked for too long :(

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Yeah, I play hockey too. Broke about $800 worth of sticks this season :( .

It was my last college season as well, so from here on out it is the beer legues for me :blah:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Paris said:
here's an expensive hobby for ya...

haha, reminds me of a guy here in town owns the biggest ass car collection in south america. about 120 classic cars...

from a half million bucks 1954 Allard Lemans, to dodge chargers rt, to shelby mustang to stingray corvette to ford t´s and loads of cars north of the 200k mark... hes got his own museum to show off his cars.... :dead:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
partsbara said:
surfing... are you kidding me... surfing has to be one of the cheapest... hell, board, wettie, leg rope... thats what i used to love about it... a good wetsuit is expensive but if you rinse it out and dry it in the shade you get 3 - 4 years out of one... snowboarding on the other hand... that is some spendy crap...

the most $$$ i used to put into surfing was gas money and i only lived about 70kms from some of the sickest waves in australia (the world infact)...

parts <-- land locked for too long :(
exactly, but when the time comes to get a new wetsuit thats 300 bucks down the drain i need for bikeyz

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have two other hobbies which are expensive. the frist one is radio control car, in that i have about 4G, son of these are can get up to about 80 real mph. the other hobby i have is model trains. don't laugh its not nearly as easy as you would think. i make very scale model of reality. also i have about 4G in model train also.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
zedro said:
seriously, if i'm not wrecking my board, i'm probably not having much fun. Dont ride much anymore, east coast prices are ridiculous for what you actually get
one of my mates here is the most destructive bastid i know when it comes to boards... he s on his second for the season... he took #2 out for it s first ride last week and it looked like he d been riding it down the road... his first board was a lamar and he almost folded it doin rail slides... popped the edge out of the thing...

animal boy

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
partsbara said:
one of my mates here is the most destructive bastid i know when it comes to boards... he s on his second for the season... he took #2 out for it s first ride last week and it looked like he d been riding it down the road... his first board was a lamar and he almost folded it doin rail slides... popped the edge out of the thing...

animal boy
i dont like normal trails; hell i dont believe snow is a requirement to snowboard. Usually i cant wait to get into the brush before all the snow gets there. Nothing like impacting an edge on a 1 week old board.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
zedro said:
i dont like normal trails; hell i dont believe snow is a requirement to snowboard. Usually i cant wait to get into the brush before all the snow gets there. Nothing like impacting an edge on a 1 week old board.

i got pretty pissed off when i went boarding in austria (solden) the first week this year... i almost tore the base off my board (ride - yukon)... well i exaggerate, but i did some major damage... turns out the base was too thin to patch so it s p-texed out the wazoo... not too bad i guess, it s 4 years old so i figure i ll hook up a new one for next season

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
zedro said:

actually z you d be a good friend for a mate of mine... waayy back, in 1991 when we first got into boarding we were at a resort north of melbourne.... after riding all day we hit the boozer... $20 for a jug, yes jug of margarita... they served them in plastic jugs and everyone just walked around drinking out of these massive jugs... at the end of the night there was a very sketchy drive down to the place we were staying... anyway, this fvckin mental bastid decides he will snowboard down the road behind the car... about 1/2 way down the mountain and there is no snow anywhere... he is still 'riding'... finally he gives up as the board will no longer slide, possible has something to do with the fact that he s trying to ride on wet black top... needless to say that was the last ride that board ever saw...

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
ALEXIS_DH said:
haha, reminds me of a guy here in town owns the biggest ass car collection in south america. about 120 classic cars...

from a half million bucks 1954 Allard Lemans, to dodge chargers rt, to shelby mustang to stingray corvette to ford t´s and loads of cars north of the 200k mark... hes got his own museum to show off his cars.... :dead:
Where in Peru are you?

I was there about a month ago...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
partsbara said:
... anyway, this fvckin mental bastid decides he will snowboard down the road behind the car... about 1/2 way down the mountain and there is no snow anywhere... he is still 'riding'... finally he gives up as the board will no longer slide, possible has something to do with the fact that he s trying to ride on wet black top... needless to say that was the last ride that board ever saw...
ha, we used to do that but just sliding on our feet holding onto the bumper or door jams; its especially fun during snowstorms and 'taking' the bus by holding on for dear life cruising along the boulevard (saved us a buck a trip!).

Then one time when my buddy's driving, the idiot hits the black top and i stop dead and face pant. The result was two bronken front teeth with the nerves dangling out from the bony stumps. Great fun tho.

TimeBomb

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Brockton, MA, U.S.A.
I play hockey too and like you said, it gets expensive. My younger brother plays net too. I can't believe the amount of $$$ he spends on equipment :eek:. My older brother scuba dives. That is very expensive.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm slowly getting into woodworking, I've only got a few tools, but I've got enough to build the stuff a typical beginner would build and I'm always on the lookout for some new or used tool at a good price. What makes woodworking expensive is after you dump 1K into tools, furniture grade hardwood is pretty darn expensive. I was thinking I could save money by building a bedframe, after looking at how much lumber it would take I'm having second thoughts. A queen size bed frame with a simple headboard, no footboard, and a pull out linen drawer underneath either side is going to cost me in the neighborhood of $400 just for the lumber, knobs, fasteners and other hardware will add close to another $100 to the cost, plus whatever cutting bits I decide I want to use that may or may not get used on another project.

By definition isn't a hobby something you spend money and time on with the sole reward of personal enjoyment?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Kornphlake said:
I'm slowly getting into woodworking, I've only got a few tools, but I've got enough to build the stuff a typical beginner would build and I'm always on the lookout for some new or used tool at a good price. What makes woodworking expensive is after you dump 1K into tools, furniture grade hardwood is pretty darn expensive. I was thinking I could save money by building a bedframe, after looking at how much lumber it would take I'm having second thoughts. A queen size bed frame with a simple headboard, no footboard, and a pull out linen drawer underneath either side is going to cost me in the neighborhood of $400 just for the lumber, knobs, fasteners and other hardware will add close to another $100 to the cost, plus whatever cutting bits I decide I want to use that may or may not get used on another project.

By definition isn't a hobby something you spend money and time on with the sole reward of personal enjoyment?
Woodworkers emporium in las vegas has killer deals on stuff. I owned a car audio shop and built custom 80% of the time. They had some really hard to find stuff as well as the general stuff.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
iafr8e said:
VW's are my main hobby, gets pretty expensive. Don't have any pics of my daily, but here's one of my current project.

Yeah, I ended up all bilstein (4 tube bypass on the rears w/ 16" 60mm coil overs on the 5' trailing arms and 14" 60mm on the fron and hydraulic bumps on all 4 corners. ford 9" with a strange nodular housing richmond 5.29 gears, full spool, daytona bearing pack and a 1310 yolk.
BFG baja ta's and the only thing stock was the 2 front door skins and the roof above them. The rest of the 4-runner including the rear top half was zeus fastened fiberglass.
Cactus pump, beard seats and belts, fortin shifter, 302 built w/ t400 tranny.
hella hid lights on roof and 9000's on the front.
We just moved up here from SD Cali.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Homeowner.
No really. I finally got out of paintball. $100 a day in paint makes bikes look cheap. Now i spend all my extra money on my house. At least I'll get some of it back when I sell.