Quantcast

expensive hobbies...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
So, if it's rwd, a wing usually works in conjunction with the front of the car, as no downforce on the front and there will be no steering, on a rough surface, it would see that this would complicate shock performance significantly, as I can't think of many off-road applications where they run wings for downforce. And while you might find some outilers with various spoilers or wings, I would think they are more about just cosmetic flair than functional purpose. Maybe on a very clean and prepped hard surface for RC road racing, but I'd think the front aero would have to be part of it. There's also a speed you have to go to make a wing effective, I'm not sure it scales down, as in if you are actually producing downforce with such a small airfoil. I'd have to go back into my textbooks to see (scale effects).

View attachment 144992
If you saw what at what an "off-road" buggy rc track looks like it would make more sense.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Another electrical item I will use to 5% of it's potential, auto ranging on mine was a bit slow and I'm too lazy to hit manual so I ordered one of these, I also can't be trusted having on board current test, my tips and fuses hate me.

1590583692728.png
It was a bike related purchase, the equipment being tested was owned by a MTB wholesaler.

Still have to get a better hydraulic crimper.

EDIT- I'm already regretting wasting money on something decent, I don't know why but any bit of equipment that has mains rated wire is generally an unreliable piece of shit. As a mechanic, I am supposed to be the one doing the shitty wiring jobs that electricians hate.
20200528_201545.jpg
To run a rotating beacon you "need" a three core and a two core cable, when they don't go around a bend in a rollover just whip out the holesaw then chuck some BP connectors and a chocolate block on the wires in the only spot where you'd really need them to be double insulated.
I should have just bought a portable wall to headbutt.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You could use it to it's full potential if you hook it up in series and measure some volts?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What size stuff are you doing that requires hydraulic crimpers?

You bastard....
I have only done 70mm cross section so far but some older or larger bits of gear run 100mm, I'm yet to have to have to do any wiring on one. I bought it just to do new power wires for a friend's 4WD winch, some moron ran it through a battery isolator and ran the negative to the other battery, they managed to melt the wiring to the OBD port.
Currently have this, it is okay but does quite a short crimp on larger lugs and can be difficult to get a double crimp on flared lugs.
1591782418659.png

I did short out a 1000kg battery a couple of months ago, that was pretty rad, lead melts fast!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
What is the wing for?
Apart from what everyone already said - 1/8 buggy is a racing class and they've looked like that for ~35+ years now. I don't proclaim to know the specifics but they do handle worse without them (I've tried). That's just how they come.

Like someone else said, it makes them much easier to carry, and it also adds a tonne of protection for more expensive parts when you crash from mid-air / flip / etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Apart from what everyone already said - 1/8 buggy is a racing class and they've looked like that for ~35+ years now. I don't proclaim to know the specifics but they do handle worse without them (I've tried). That's just how they come.

Like someone else said, it makes them much easier to carry, and it also adds a tonne of protection for more expensive parts when you crash from mid-air / flip / etc.
Yeah, I seriously doubt it's aerodynamic advantages though, without splitters and other devices. Aero principles say that form drag is very high at low Reynolds Numbers, which is why golf balls, that still travel relatively slow, are dimpled. More than anything it's probably adding drag and a stabilizing force (being behind the CG).