Quantcast

expensive hobbies...

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Friend got a grey one with 500 miles on it. It looks absolutely terrifying and I have no idea where you could put down 650hp around here.

Every damn time I get onto the freeway! Up until 90 or so.......

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Friend got a grey one with 500 miles on it. It looks absolutely terrifying and I have no idea where you could put down 650hp around here.
It's actually very composed for its HP. My father-in-law has the Stingrays. I guess since its target audience is retired they have to be able to be driven gently. My FIL has Parkinson's so he isn't allowed to drive. So every time we go down to see him we go for a joy ride and switch and let him drive. On good days he can let it loose lol.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
An LS swapped FD RX7 is a blast. So is the 4 rotor motors. 450hp N/A a little oil in the gas keeps them going forever. With boost and running rich washes the oil from the apes seals.
Even people who know how to take care of the Rotaries still get problems from them. I love those engines but jesus I'm nowhere near rich enough to even consider them.

Also I've heard there is new cool engine swap people are doing after some dude created an 850HP MR2. Can't remember what it was. Maybe a Honda Engine? They can go high when you remember how many people pull crazy herspers from those civics.

Also you've heard of that 4 cyl 1800hp red demon car? 80psi boost, 7s on a stick shift.

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Even people who know how to take care of the Rotaries still get problems from them. I love those engines but jesus I'm nowhere near rich enough to even consider them.

Also I've heard there is new cool engine swap people are doing after some dude created an 850HP MR2. Can't remember what it was. Maybe a Honda Engine? They can go high when you remember how many people pull crazy herspers from those civics.

Also you've heard of that 4 cyl 1800hp red demon car? 80psi boost, 7s on a stick shift.
The 2grfe V6 can be boosted. There is a guy with twin charge (supercharged and turbo)

I had a 2zz Spyder till it was rear ended, 225hp to the wheels with just an aftermarket computer on a 1.8. The v6 mr2 is my next goal.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

related

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The 2grfe V6 can be boosted. There is a guy with twin charge (supercharged and turbo)

I had a 2zz Spyder till it was rear ended, 225hp to the wheels with just an aftermarket computer on a 1.8. The v6 mr2 is my next goal.
Wasn't there also a Volvo V8? There was a british supercar powered by that. Also BMW S54s are really good though I'm not sure about their tuneability

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I had a 89 mustang. Set up for road racing tracks. Handled pretty good but took a lot of money to get it to do so. I bought a 92 Eclipse GSX for winter duty. With just a suspension and boost control it beat my mustang in the turns. A bigger turbo made it beat it in the straits as well. A year later the mustang was sold and I had a car that would do great at autocross, road race and run 11s in the 1/4.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Wasn't there also a Volvo V8? There was a british supercar powered by that. Also BMW S54s are really good though I'm not sure about their tuneability
The S54 responds well to mild boost. Its pretty close to topped out in stock trim. People have spent 1000s to find 50hp more naturally aspirated.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I bought a 92 Eclipse GSX for winter duty. With just a suspension and boost control it beat my mustang in the turns. A bigger turbo made it beat it in the straits as well. A year later the mustang was sold and I had a car that would do great at autocross, road race and run 11s in the 1/4.
I have a soft spot for AWD 1G DSMs. Don't see them very much any more, but those cars were/are cool as hell.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have a soft spot for AWD 1G DSMs. Don't see them very much any more, but those cars were/are cool as hell.
I regret selling mine. It was so competitive it got classed with other cars. So I sold it. Wish I didn't care about such things back then. The aftermarket suspension for the Evo will bolt in with little mods.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I used to drive a bugeye WRX with all manner of mods. VF34, FMIC, UTEC with anti-lag and flat foot shifting, STI RA gears, coilovers, etc.

It was horrible. Yes, it was fast, but it was unreliable, loud, and generally a tarted up econobox, because that’s what it was.

I do not miss that whole era of my life, which some of you are apparently still firmly in.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I used to drive a bugeye WRX with all manner of mods. VF34, FMIC, UTEC with anti-lag and flat foot shifting, STI RA gears, coilovers, etc.

It was horrible. Yes, it was fast, but it was unreliable, loud, and generally a tarted up econobox, because that’s what it was.

I do not miss that whole era of my life, which some of you are apparently still firmly in.
Maybe....

But my tarted up econo-box, other than gas, oil and insurance costs me on average* 500.00 a year to run in maintenance. For a second car, used to run errands and haul me and my bikes around it works perfectly. It does about 10K miles a year on average. At this point in a way it is paying me...

* - over the last 7 years since the build was finished.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I often wonder how much longer my WRX wagon would have gone. I put about 120K on it, for a total of 145-ish when I sold it. There was some seeping around the gaskets, not pissing any fluids, but it would seem that those would be the next thing I would have had to do. Maintenance was changing the timing belt a little past 100K, steering bushings a little later, regular fluids and a/c recharge. Mileage was good for the period, averaged around 29-30 on longer trips, way better than an STI.

At first, completely stock, there was something wrong, it would pull all jerky like. Looking into it more, it appeared to be an OEM "feature", reported by many for the year. Once I put a Cobb tune on it, it was perfectly smooth. I changed the downpipe to Cobb and put a borla turbo-back exhaust on it, mistakenly ordering the "aggressive" rather than the "stealth hush" that I thought I had clicked on. Worked well though and really grumbled like nothing I've heard before or since on a WRX, possibly a combination of the wagon acoustics. Such a low earthquake-type rumble. I literally had guys at the window at a fast food place looking around my car when I'm right in front of them for the "rumbling car", not realizing it was right in front. I stupidly put a manual boost controller on it for a few weeks. While I could reliably go higher on the boost, it was leaning out the engine and with that much boost it fell of faster, so I went back to the stock stuff and made a few tweaks to the waste-gate actuator. Put an STI intercooler on it (in a hot environment I thought that might help) and short-ram intake (which turns out to just be a hot-air-intake whenever stopped). It didn't take me too long to get this all sorted out though, and from that point at Stage 2, it was pretty solid. It was even passable in 2nd gear when I downshifted going up mountains. Try doing that stock with the A/C on and you'd bog and have to go to first a lot of the time, which was just unacceptable. The mods to free it up some helped significantly...although Subaru deserves all the shit they get for not doing stuff like twin-scrolls or short-header turbos like you get on modern cars where the turbo power comes on at 1500-1700, instead of 3000. I ran it for probably at least 100K like this and it seemed solid. Was a lot of fun and practical with the wagon version. If I did it again I'd definitely mod the suspension too.

For the time, the creature comforts were on part with most everything else. I liked the cloth seats better than leather.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Playing around with cars is often way more fun than using them. Also I'm not the fan of the WRX and Subarus in general.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

I would love one of those but would end up in a bag or heavily injured more than likely. 430lbs and 185HP. Totally safe and hey its only a few grand more than a high-end MTB........

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Mileage was good for the period, averaged around 29-30 on longer trips, way better than an STI.
How on earth? My WRX didn't ever come close to that. The horrible gas consumption was one of the biggest reasons why I sold it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How on earth? My WRX didn't ever come close to that. The horrible gas consumption was one of the biggest reasons why I sold it.
The Cobb tuner let you see what it was doing as far as gph/mileage/ratio and injector pulse width. Under WOT and boost, it crammed fuel down as all turbos do, to keep cool, when off the throttle and cruising, 16.4:1. If you kept it off boost while accelerating, you saved a ton right there. Mind you, that mileage was on highway trips like AZ to San Diego and back. The small turbo combined with the 2.0 and the tune all helped. A 2.5 or vf34 or anything like that would make it very difficult to get decent mileage. The later 2006-7 also had much bigger injectors I believe, so turning that up more would dump even more fuel.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Playing around with cars is often way more fun than using them. Also I'm not the fan of the WRX and Subarus in general.
Y u no like massive understeer followed by snap-oversteer?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The Cobb tuner let you see what it was doing as far as gph/mileage/ratio and injector pulse width. Under WOT and boost, it crammed fuel down as all turbos do, to keep cool, when off the throttle and cruising, 16.4:1. If you kept it off boost while accelerating, you saved a ton right there. Mind you, that mileage was on highway trips like AZ to San Diego and back. The small turbo combined with the 2.0 and the tune all helped. A 2.5 or vf34 or anything like that would make it very difficult to get decent mileage. The later 2006-7 also had much bigger injectors I believe, so turning that up more would dump even more fuel.
Yeah I guess part of it could be the difference in motor size. I also had the Cobb tuner and various bolt ons.

Over the course of owning the car (I documented every single gas receipt and mileage), I averaged 21mpg. Driving it around the city you could watch the needle on the gas gauge drop. Having the five speed transmission didn't help at all. Unless I kept the car right around or under 60mph, it'd start getting into the 3000rpm+ range.

But even with all the downfalls of the car, its still the best winter car I've ever driven. The awd was awesome with good snow tires, it was amazing how even on snowy uphill starts it would just grab and accelerate away.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yeah I guess part of it could be the difference in motor size. I also had the Cobb tuner and various bolt ons.

Over the course of owning the car (I documented every single gas receipt and mileage), I averaged 21mpg. Driving it around the city you could watch the needle on the gas gauge drop. Having the five speed transmission didn't help at all. Unless I kept the car right around or under 60mph, it'd start getting into the 3000rpm+ range.

But even with all the downfalls of the car, its still the best winter car I've ever driven. The awd was awesome with good snow tires, it was amazing how even on snowy uphill starts it would just grab and accelerate away.
Are yous guys comparing the same gallon?
Gotta remember the Canukistani one is 20% larger.

USG = 3.78litre
UKG = 4.54litre

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Heh, I had summer performance tires and it was amazing how bad the winter performance was despite the awd!

The 3000+ rpm was bad for noise, but efficiency wasn’t bad with the 2.0 on the highway at 75-80mph, would have been nice to have a 6th gear to bring it down but wouldn’t have climbed hills in 6th. Efficiency was bad when you were accelerating a lot. Like magnitudes worse.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
My DSM average was 28mpg when it had 400ish HP. Ran lean when off boost. I used water injection instead of over rich on boost. I'd get 33mpg on trips.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Y u no like massive understeer followed by snap-oversteer?
That's one thing but I just don't think they are worth the hype. There are so many other better cars that drive better for less money and if you want nostalgia then look for those group b nissans from Japan.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So no billet four rotor in your future then? I'd hate to know what the final build price on this thing will be.
World's

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
So no billet four rotor in your future then? I'd hate to know what the final build price on this thing will be.
World's
Nacho freaks really hate their wallets. I really like the idea of a rotary but I'd have to have tens of millions of dollars to waste my money on such projects. I love them, they are just masochistic.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
World's
I haven't watched his channel in a long time, but look up Rob Dahm's (spelling??) History with that 4 rotor thing.

Will it ever even be finished or run?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I haven't watched his channel in a long time, but look up Rob Dahm's (spelling??) History with that 4 rotor thing.

Will it ever even be finished or run?
I've ridden a 4 rotor Rx7. Was 450hp NA same low center of mass feel in the front you loose with an LS swap.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yes, aftermarket are better.
Since you know obscure Japanese cars. I'd really want to own a 240RS.

A very modern engine at the time. AFAIK Nissan FJ was first sequential injection, iron block. Basically a dedicated performance engine. Nice thing. Supposedly you can easily tune them to over 800hp

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Since you know obscure Japanese cars. I'd really want to own a 240RS.

A very modern engine at the time. AFAIK Nissan FJ was first sequential injection, iron block. Basically a dedicated performance engine. Nice thing. Supposedly you can easily tune them to over 800hp
The FJ24 is similar to BMW's S14 they put in the first M3. Trumped the hot rod Japanese motor from toyota 4AGE 180 with camshaft and compression. There's a 5 valve motor that can get 245. This is out of a 1.6 liter motor.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The FJ24 is similar to BMW's S14 they put in the first M3. Trumped the hot rod Japanese motor from toyota 4AGE 180 with camshaft and compression. There's a 5 valve motor that can get 245. This is out of a 1.6 liter motor.
Yeah S14's used to be super popular in Poland.

Strangely not volvos.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Is it weird that I don't give a flying fuck about cars?

You guys are making me feel insecure.

@ianjenn: would that KTM be a good 'first bike' for a beginner?
Yes, yes, it would.

I have enjoyed riding one, now that Ducati is making a naked V4 the KTM is just kind of low powered.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@ianjenn: would that KTM be a good 'first bike' for a beginner?
I got my motorbike licence back before Australia had power-to-weight restrictions for novice riders. Nevertheless, my first bike was a VTR250 which was a pretty sensible first bike and a lot of fun. Another guy who got his licence the same day was after a Hayabusa but the shop didn't have one so he went with a GSXR1000. He didn't even make it a mile down the road before it flipped out on him and he smashed it.

Me and my buddies got a couple of Suzuki RGV250 2-stroke bikes for track bikes a few years later. Now they were a lot of fun....

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i had a couple yamaha 2 stoke sports bikes (street) a tzr250 & rz500. the tzr was sooo much fun on tight backroads; super light & brappy. the rz had a more primitive (ie, ill handling) chassis, but pulled viciously on the pipe, and sounded badass - like 4 125cc dirt bikes.