Quantcast

expensive hobbies...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
my 4runner, mad money in the hood, system, rims, and exterior
snowboarding (but my dads best fishing buddy is the original burton rep so its all cost but still expensive)
fly fishing
rock climbing- full rack cost mad money

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Fly fishing is crazy expensive when compared to regular fishing. When we went to Bozeman I looked at some fly rods and they were about 600 for a cheap one.

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
Yah.

Two Technics 1200's, a Vestax 07 pro, AB International amp, Yamaha cabs, Alesis efx, Numark cd decks.

There's a lot more money than that tied up in the records themselves, though.

p6

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
partsbara said:
surfing... are you kidding me... surfing has to be one of the cheapest... hell, board, wettie, leg rope... thats what i used to love about it... a good wetsuit is expensive but if you rinse it out and dry it in the shade you get 3 - 4 years out of one... snowboarding on the other hand... that is some spendy crap...

the most $$$ i used to put into surfing was gas money and i only lived about 70kms from some of the sickest waves in australia (the world infact)...

parts <-- land locked for too long :(
Not really all that cheap. A good, solid, zipperless wetsuit will run you $300+, and then a quiver of boards for different conditions will cost $300-500 for custom shaped boards, plus leashes, bags, fins (in different sizes) etc... Surfing gets expensive after a while and eats up a load of space.

Hell when I was into bodyboarding I'd spend the $300+ on a wetsuit every 2-3 years, but I went through 3-5 bodyboards a year and each one was custom shaped for me at around $250 each. Plus fins, and leashes, and bags it all adds up.

My girlfriend's dad collects longboards (guy has a LOAD of them). I know some he's paid $100+ for, some he's paid $1000+ for and possibly a few are well above that.

Surfing will never be cheap (unless your kid wants to try it and fails :) )

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Older Chevy trucks, or pretty much cars in general.
Daily driver (kinda) right now is 98' chev 2500 crew swb 4x4. A month ago I put a new engine in my '82 Chev 2wd K5 Blazer. Spent all day saturday cutting off POS tow ball on it and putting on new front and rear bumpers.
Also have '81 GMC 4x4 Jimmy (waiting for funds for new T350), '86 Chev 1/2t 4x4 diesel, '86 GMC 1500 4x4 gas, '79 1/2t 4x4 Suburban, and part own (parts) '85 chev K5 4x4. Almost own (we'll see how it works out) an '81 Chev 2wd K5 Blazer that is slammed, flowmaster exhaust, rollpans front and rear, LED lights in the rear, all exterior trim and handles are shaved except the tailgate handle - had BB chev but nothing in it now.

Need to sell some of these bikes and get one of these things finished right.....

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Spunger said:
Not really all that cheap. A good, solid, zipperless wetsuit will run you $300+, and then a quiver of boards for different conditions will cost $300-500 for custom shaped boards, plus leashes, bags, fins (in different sizes) etc... Surfing gets expensive after a while and eats up a load of space.

Hell when I was into bodyboarding I'd spend the $300+ on a wetsuit every 2-3 years, but I went through 3-5 bodyboards a year and each one was custom shaped for me at around $250 each. Plus fins, and leashes, and bags it all adds up.

My girlfriend's dad collects longboards (guy has a LOAD of them). I know some he's paid $100+ for, some he's paid $1000+ for and possibly a few are well above that.

unfortunatly all too true... but i got a hookup on my new fish :D

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Skiing, the skis arn't to bad, I got some Volant Machetes this year for pretty cheap. But the lift tickets kill you.

Im also a computer nerd, that really expensive. A few upgrades and you down 2 grand.

I play paintball which isn't to bad and ive been rock climbing/mountaineering alot lately and I like the cost of these things much better.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Spunger said:

surfing was still one of the cheapest hobbies i ve ever had... no one really needs a full quiver... most people can get away with two boards, hell i travelled around the world surfing (indo, england, ireland, portugal) and i got by in all kinds of conditions with a 6'8" merrick for 2 - 6' and a 7'6" for big days... boards can be kind of expensive tho'... they are about 700 - 750 aussie back home now... thankfully i have a couple of decent hookups...

one double board bag, 3 leashes, a couple of sets of fins (FCS is the shiat) and some wax - all for the price of a decent set of cranks and a chainguide...

collecting surfboards doesn t really come into the picture... collecting anything is expensive...

plus, bodyboards don t really count as SURFING :devil: i can buy a 2 pack of sponges at the grocery store for 0.79c ;)... now i see where you got your name from :)

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
i race 1/8th scale off road buggys and it costs a bomb for everything
in fact it costs too much

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
I collect tools and metal working machinery.
Boat racing got to be a pretty expensive. I had to stop for a long time. The new boat is just about do so we'll see how long I can stay out there this time.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
LukeD said:
who here has some expensive hobbies? on top of downhilling i'm an ice hockey goalie. been looking at new gear lately and i'm about to drop $1100 on new pads...that's just the pads not including gloves which r an extra $300 or so. pants r in the $200 range, chest/arm is another $200 something...jeez, all that on top of my new DH bike which is on its way and my car is about to die...not to mention bills have to be paid. i need another job lol
Yeah, flying is way more expensive than mountain biking for me. It doesn't even come close. If I went for a 4-6 hour XC flight in a twin engine aircraft, I was spending $1000-1300 for just that flight. A decent single engine with nicer avionics goes for about 90-100 an hour. Back when I was getting flight instruction (I am a flight instructor now) I had to pay $48 per hour on top of the aircraft rental for the instructor. I've just rented aircraft though on some days or weekends and decided to "go somewhere", which was always lots of fun. The ****tiest part about it is that after spending tens of thousands of dollars (actually close to a hundred thousand) I now have to accumulate a certain amount of hours to just get consideration for hiring by airlines or whomever I want to work for. So in the meantime I have to work for penuts as an instructor to accumulate enough hours to apply to something like a regional airline, which also pays penuts for the first few years (starting wage for a regional airline pilot is around 17,000-20,000, utterly pathetic). So, this has been an expensive hobby/pursuit/life, but there's nothing I'd rather be doing job-wise than flying, so I'm going to keep at it.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Motocross. let's see, $5000.00 for a bike, around $1200.00 for gear($600 helmet, $300 boots, etc.)$15 a day in race gas, $150 to join a track(yeah, 150 bucks so that you can then pay to get onto the damn track), $10-25 per person to get on the property of the track. Then, who knows how much when you crash your brains out, then get landed on, then run over, with tire marks on your right shoulder, and huge gashes on your face from who-knows-what! (been there, still do it)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Other than DH riding, I like getting tattooed. That gets expensive. This year has been slow on equipment buying and tattooing because of my recent move out west.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
prophet6 said:
I'm a dj.

The equipment costs a ton, and records aren't cheap. And you can never have enough of them...

p6
My brother got into that a while ago...got Technics turn tables and Pioneer mixer. He would end up spending a lot of cash on records that were rare or from europe. He wants to sell them now, the bum.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Off road racing.
At least a $1300 enrty fee, each race. Gas, Tires, Suppies for ONE race $5000+. Oh yeah, our car is worth only about $40,000, we race in an affordable class :eek: . Some guys are rolling out there in Million dollar cars and have a million dolar budget for every race, three helicopters..

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I just bought a dirt bike. I am poor because of Downhill Bikes and Skis and I havent bought much new equipment for either sport in well over a year.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Fonzie18 said:
Off road racing.
At least a $1300 enrty fee, each race. Gas, Tires, Suppies for ONE race $5000+. Oh yeah, our car is worth only about $40,000, we race in an affordable class :eek: . Some guys are rolling out there in Million dollar cars and have a million dolar budget for every race, three helicopters..
yeah, thats the winner.
there are very few hobbies more expensive than auto-racing.
its a lot of money some people dump into it.

group N cars waste a 2000 bucks turbo, and a 1500 bucks exhaust in no time with the antilag. brakes and tires are gone in a few hundred miles. and get like 3 miles a gallon on 8 bucks a gallon gas. not to talk about WRC level cars and their maintenance.

a guy i who know spends 800 bucks just in putting new valves on his rims and balance checking the rims and tires before races. or the 220k tte celica gt4 he totalled on a tarmac stage last year.

fonzie, have you ever thought about racing in public roads city to city races? for 5000 bucks you can pretty much race in the affordable categories in a 1400 miles, 5 stage tarmac to gravel race here. i think jim buffum came a few years ago.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Fonzie18 said:
Off road racing.
I sell and install s.s. braided hose and AN fittings for the motorsports market. I was plumbing a long travel sand car the other day. Not a racer, just a toy for the dunes @ Glamis. He had a twin turbo small block in it. Said he had 89K invested at that point. He spent another couple K with me and didn't even bat an eye.

You should see the cash the big rollers spend on their offshore boats. 15K in just the exhaust systems. 75K for an engine (less drive) and they have 2 in the boat and a few spares back at the house.

I donno, maybe someday my ship will come in too.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
zedro said:
your already out there???!! thanks for the heads up :angry:
Sorry about that, not many people had a heads up. It was pretty last minute...a big scramble to get it done. I'll be around towards the end of the summer to visit (July or August). Depending on the cost of the flight, I might bring my bike back for some riding.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I did some work for a guy who ran one of the premier unlimited hydro teams.
That is some expensive ****.
I walked into his shop to deliver a part and he had three turbine engines from a chinook helicopter sitting on stands. The were fresh of the dyno at 7k HP.
I forget what he said they cost but they were pricey.
He also had a 18 wheeler to tow all his toys. The crazy thing is, his bills weren't being paid by a sponsor. He was buying everything out of his own pocket.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I have over $6000 invested in 3 bikes, but I ride 2-5 times a week. My theory is: For the amount of time spent using the equiptment, that more than reasonable. Consider dropping $7000-$20,000+ for snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs, etc. that you actually only use 20 times a year.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Hi -Fi can get stupid expensive. I have what is ocnsidered an "entry level system" that breaks down like this:

Intergrated amp: $1000
CD Player: $1000
Speakers (only 2) $1500
Turntable $800
Tuner $500

Honestly, I have seen people drop $30,000 on an amplifier, three or 4 times that on speakers. $10 grand on a CD player. THOUSANDS of dollars on wire (WIRE for Chrissakes)! Not to mention the fact that the whole industry (like a lot of other industries) runs on the premis that what you own is not good enough and MUST be upgraded.

The totally screwed up thing is that "what you do" is sit on your a** and do nothing (with a soundtrack).

Hi-FI is not a hobby, its an illness.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
rigidhack said:
Hi -Fi can get stupid expensive. I have what is ocnsidered an "entry level system" that breaks down like this:

Speakers (only 2) $1500
Turntable $800
Tuner $500

Honestly, I have seen people drop $30,000 on an amplifier, three or 4 times that on speakers. $10 grand on a CD player. THOUSANDS of dollars on wire (WIRE for Chrissakes)! Not to mention the fact that the whole industry (like a lot of other industries) runs on the premis that what you own is not good enough and MUST be upgraded.

The totally screwed up thing is that "what you do" is sit on your a** and do nothing (with a soundtrack).

I know what you mean....my dad just dropped 8000$ on some headphones :thumb: .......if that was a bike..... :devil:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
rigidhack said:

Speakers (only 2) $1500
Turntable $800
Tuner $500

sounds like crack... :)

and i thought my JBL speakers rocked... i can only imagine the sound some of those babies must pump out

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
partsbara said:
sounds like crack... :)

and i thought my JBL speakers rocked... i can only imagine the sound some of those babies must pump out
Yeah , it does sound pretty damn good. I broke the window in my old apartment with a RATM track a high volume. Rattled it right out of the frame. System didn't even break a sweat. :) Neighbours werent to stoked about though. :nope: [F* you I won't do what you tell me!]