Quantcast

expensive hobbies...

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Music can be pretty expensive. I'm planning to be a professional flute and saxophone player, and (hopefully before I start college) I need to buy a really serious flute ($15,000+) and piccolo ($3000+). In addition to that, I need at least one each of a professional-quality soprano, alto, and tenor sax, each of which is $3000-$5500. As a sax player, you should be at least proficient on clarinet, so there goes another $2000-$4000. Plus, you have to spend what averages out to a few hundred annually on maintenance.

At some point, I'll probably need a car, too. :rolleyes:

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
This stuff is to expensive, so I gave it up for biking, and they are all lying in my garage waiting to be sold to a good home. I couldnt drive them for one tank of gas/battery charge with out breaking something. By the end, these here 4 rc cars cost around 3000 with all the gas, parts, batteries, chargiers, etc...

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
haromtnbiker said:
This stuff is to expensive, so I gave it up for biking, and they are all lying in my garage waiting to be sold to a good home. I couldnt drive them for one tank of gas/battery charge with out breaking something. By the end, these here 4 rc cars cost around 3000 with all the gas, parts, batteries, chargiers, etc...

Yeah, - but it is a funny hobby indeed !! :D

DHGH

Chimp
Aug 31, 2004
Ice hockey, electric guitars, SCUBA diving, skiing, MX...all ridiculously hard on the wallet.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
8K on some headphones is pretty silly, but then again so are a lot of things.

if i had the $, i'd pump it into a kickass home stereo, but i'm assuming that my kids want to go to college at some point, so the 15 year old gear i've got will have to do (and still sounds pretty damn good).

my disposable income is usually split between buying cds/lps and wine (although my wine collection is a pittance, really).

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
zedro said:
not to mention the sound of humans and animals bleeding to death :thumb:
sir you are incorrect. I have never in my life shot a single animal or human.

And I don't have the money to buy the paper targets that scream anyways.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
rigidhack said:
Hi -Fi can get stupid expensive. I have what is ocnsidered an "entry level system" that breaks down like this:

Intergrated amp: $1000
CD Player: $1000
Speakers (only 2) $1500
Turntable $800
Tuner $500

Honestly, I have seen people drop $30,000 on an amplifier, three or 4 times that on speakers. $10 grand on a CD player. THOUSANDS of dollars on wire (WIRE for Chrissakes)! Not to mention the fact that the whole industry (like a lot of other industries) runs on the premis that what you own is not good enough and MUST be upgraded.

The totally screwed up thing is that "what you do" is sit on your a** and do nothing (with a soundtrack).

Hi-FI is not a hobby, its an illness.
I was into home theater/Hi-Fi for a while.

Mine:

Preamp: $5,000
Amp: $2,500
DVD: $1,200
CD: $1,100
Tuner: $600
VCR: $400-died, now have a $99 Sony
Speakers: $3,000
Subwoofer: $1,200
Cables: $300

Sounds good though:thumb:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
clancy98 said:
shooting? nobody shoots here? expensive. guns and bullets, guns and bullets.
Yeah, but I try to keep it cheap with .22LRs most of the time. Got a ruger 10/22T with scope and bipod, walther P22, and a glock G36.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
$1100 on a cd player seems nuts. could you do an ABX comparison between a $1000 model and a $200 model and realistically tell the difference a high percentage of the time? for things which physically impact the sound (ie, turntable/cartridge, speakers), i can see spending the extra cash to make an audible difference. but sooner or later you get into esoteric pseudo blackmagic regions when it comes to audiophile mumbo-jumbo.

kinda like seeing the difference between a $50 and $250 dollar bottle of wine. does it exist, or is it mainly subjective? blind testing is the best judge.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
As some of you know I'm into Snocross, have 3 race sleds, and 2 trail sled, plus 5 vintage racers that we've restored from next to nothing. Race sleds ar emoney pits, make very little when you win, yet my open mod is an $18K+ creation that runs alot of Ti and Aluminum. Complaining about shock prices? My rear track shock is an Ohlins that costs ~$1400...It ain't for the empty walleted because once you start, your wallet only gets emptier. :)
Other hobby is my Jeep, 98 Cherokee with Accurate Power 4.6L Stroker, pulls nice, but it's going to be Cummins time awful soon

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
Fourwheeling for sure is the most expensive...and when ur realy do the real stuff like rockcrawling...

jeep-$5000
Axels-$8000
suspension-$4-7000
rollcage material-$2-4000
ruber+ rims-$3000
drivetrain-$5000
tools-alot
welder-alot
gas
trailer
towrig

heres the start of mine

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
$1100 on a cd player seems nuts. could you do an ABX comparison between a $1000 model and a $200 model and realistically tell the difference a high percentage of the time? for things which physically impact the sound (ie, turntable/cartridge, speakers), i can see spending the extra cash to make an audible difference. but sooner or later you get into esoteric pseudo blackmagic regions when it comes to audiophile mumbo-jumbo.

kinda like seeing the difference between a $50 and $250 dollar bottle of wine. does it exist, or is it mainly subjective? blind testing is the best judge.
This is a CD player I bought back in 1989, it was one of the top of the line Yamaha's. Back then it put most other players to shame, it still sounds better than most mid range players but not as good as the top players today. So the answer is YES you can here the difference especially if you have it hooked up digital direct.

Edit: This is being tested with a well recorded CD.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
narlus said:

Having done lots of AXB comparisons...yeah you can hear the difference. Sometimes it is not all that subtle either. You can (usually) tell the difference between a $200 CD player and a $1000 player. You can also tell the difference between a $1000 player and a $10,000 player, but you run into the whole law of diminishing returns thing REALLY fast. Once you have heard a really good player, the cheapies sound, well, CHEAP. :stosh:

I had a CD player that originally retailed for $5000 (Krell) and it was truly phenomenal. I sold it after about a week for three times what I paid for it, because the idea of having food in the house was even more phenomenal. :D

Oh yeah, the Mummies rule!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
My hobbies are drinking coffee and sleeping. They are kinda mutually exclusive. Luckily i just got hooked up with a new coffee sponsor!

I'm thinking about taking up full-time employment as well. It might get in the way of my sleep habit.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
It's no auto racing, but it ain't cheap either.

$2700 for a Gibson LP Custom, $200 for enough Monster Cables to hook everything up, $300 for my Fulltone stompbox, $100 for the Mr Crybaby, and $1000 for my Twin.

Then there's the SG, the Sheraton II, and the Duo-Jet. And I can't forget about my Warwick fretless or the American P-bass and my Ampeg bass rig. Oh yeah, and the keyboards/stands with the effects processor and a couple of Roland 15s, plus MORE monster cables, power conditioners, racks . . .

Stupid money. Stupid impulsive consumption habit.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
rigidhack said:
Having done lots of AXB comparisons...yeah you can hear the difference. Sometimes it is not all that subtle either. You can (usually) tell the difference between a $200 CD player and a $1000 player. You can also tell the difference between a $1000 player and a $10,000 player, but you run into the whole law of diminishing returns thing REALLY fast. Once you have heard a really good player, the cheapies sound, well, CHEAP. :stosh:

I had a CD player that originally retailed for $5000 (Krell) and it was truly phenomenal. I sold it after about a week for three times what I paid for it, because the idea of having food in the house was even more phenomenal. :D

Oh yeah, the Mummies rule!

Oh my G.. you have had a Krell ???

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
James | Go-Ride said:
It's no auto racing, but it ain't cheap either.

$2700 for a Gibson LP Custom, $200 for enough Monster Cables to hook everything up, $300 for my Fulltone stompbox, $100 for the Mr Crybaby, and $1000 for my Twin.

Then there's the SG, the Sheraton II, and the Duo-Jet. And I can't forget about my Warwick fretless or the American P-bass and my Ampeg bass rig. Oh yeah, and the keyboards/stands with the effects processor and a couple of Roland 15s, plus MORE monster cables, power conditioners, racks . . .

Stupid money. Stupid impulsive consumption habit.
You work at a mail order bike shop though, all that money is just a drop in the bucket for a high roller like yourself. :D

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
ya know seeing that porsche sp? reminded me, anyone near va ever thought about starting up a rally racing team, kinda been a think ive been wanting to do for severaly years

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Trucks/metal fab. Kind of expensive, especially now that metal is almost $3/ft.

Truck-$I don't want to know
Bender-$600
Welder-1000
Notcher-$250
my precious tools-$???

Oh well, it's worth it in the end.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Biking, snowboarding ... paying bills on time. Funny no one mentioned getting by. Environmental Scientist in a good ol' boy town is not easy.

edit: sorry for the frustration, this town is getting to me.

whitewater kayaking was expenive to get into, but not too bad once you had everything. plus water hippies are usually pretty cool about giving you shuttles back to your car.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
skiing-dropped about $800 this season just for the hardwear, last year was the clothes.

dirtbiking-about to drop 2500 on a used CR250

Truck - mmmm always wanting to do stuff to that

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
for me we have biking, snowboarding, camping, landsailing, and then....music
2000 records @ $12.00 each
2 x 1200's @ $500 each
2 x monitors at @ $700 each
2 x small monitors @ $200 each
console @ $2800
firewire interface @ $2000
G4 powerbook @ $4000
21" monitor @ $500
silver cables @ $???
DJ mixer @ $800
programs $500
then there's the time to build all the custom furniture for my studio...
and to think I'm really just collecting at this point.
Camping and backcountry gear gets pretty spendy too.
Too many damn hobbies, but it's a fun life. No wonder I'm in soo much debt.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
clancy98 said:
shooting? nobody shoots here? expensive. guns and bullets, guns and bullets.
I've got a custom AR-15 that will shoot 1/4 MOA, am about to get a new 6.5 grendel upper for it, should be a bit more fun. Also, just placed an order for a custom .300 mag, 26" krieger, JP muzzle brake, mcmillin A5 stock, jewel trigger, leupold tactical, should shoot pretty dam tight out to about 1200 or so yards. Kinda pointless though, knowing I'll never shoot past 300

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
krazydher1 said:
Fourwheeling for sure is the most expensive...and when ur realy do the real stuff like rockcrawling...

jeep-$5000
Axels-$8000
suspension-$4-7000
rollcage material-$2-4000
ruber+ rims-$3000
drivetrain-$5000
tools-alot
welder-alot
gas
trailer
towrig

heres the start of mine

8k? for axels? Where do you buy your stuff?...you could be rolling on 2.5 ton rockwells for that price. Last summer I helped a buddy install custom dana 60's in his jeep. Was under $5k total, including fabing new suspension links.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
My other hobbies?

Hm,

Electric guitars
Model aircraft and miniatures
Home cinema & Hifi

James nice gibbo you got there bro. However i d rather get a strat rather than having to battle through Gibsons (nowadays) dodgy QC.

I am so torn between spending $ for guitars and bikes... i guess guitars makes more sense for the moment, as my bikes are v.good, whereas i need a good tube amp and a USA fender ;)