Quantcast

expensive hobbies...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Where do you live that you can't have better coffee? Here basically every coffee place has a Mahlkonig EK43 + Nuova Simonelli Mythos for Espresso.

Also a cheap alternative to expensive grinders is buying the commendante hand grinder. Some people claim it grinds on par with ek43 while being reasonably priced plus it doesn't take so much space.

On the bright side I've got a limited ed anaerobic fermentation natural coffee which is a rare mix. Tastes like strawberries.
Canada's capital!

It's not so much that we don't have access to the high-end machinery or beans, it's more that there isn't much of a coffee culture here. People here tend to prefer swill that they have to mask with milk and sugar (otherwise known as Tim Hortons).

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Canada's capital!

It's not so much that we don't have access to the high-end machinery or beans, it's more that there isn't much of a coffee culture here. People here tend to prefer swill that they have to mask with milk and sugar (otherwise known as Tim Hortons).
I thought speciality coffee is everywhere (except France and Italy lol) given that you can find speciality coffee shops even in Indonesia

btw. Seriously consider commendante. It's awesome.

Though I'm lucky since Warsaw is probably one of the best coffee cities in the world. 5 mins from my old job I had a coffee shop that brewed coffees rated in the high 90s, my current office is 5mins from a coffee place run by a 6th Barista or Cup taster (he started in 2 don't remember where he was higher) in the World last year, 2 national Aeropress champion and one girl who was 3rd.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I thought speciality coffee is everywhere (except France and Italy lol) given that you can find speciality coffee shops even in Indonesia

btw. Seriously consider commendante. It's awesome.
For sure there are "specialty" (3rd wave?) coffee shops. But only a handful (hence the 5 mentioned in my OP).

The pervasive coffee culture here (and in the US too I suspect) is that coffee is supposed to be hot, strong, and sweetened with milk and sugar. The kind you get at Tim Hortons (Dunkin' Donuts in the US), McDonalds, or even at Starbucks. If you ask someone to "go for a coffee" that's what the average person will think of.

The notion of "terroir", different methods of processing the beans, roasting them, and preparing the coffee isn't widely held. And that's fine, IMO. For me, I treat coffee like wine and beer in that where it comes from, who makes it and how, matters. Knowing that adds to my enjoyment. It also allowed me to discover new things. But I get that not everyone is into it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
For sure there are "specialty" (3rd wave?) coffee shops. But only a handful (hence the 5 mentioned in my OP).

The pervasive coffee culture here (and in the US too I suspect) is that coffee is supposed to be hot, strong, and sweetened with milk and sugar. The kind you get at Tim Hortons (Dunkin' Donuts in the US), McDonalds, or even at Starbucks. If you ask someone to "go for a coffee" that's what the average person will think of.

The notion of "terroir", different methods of processing the beans, roasting them, and preparing the coffee isn't widely held. And that's fine, IMO. For me, I treat coffee like wine and beer in that where it comes from, who makes it and how, matters. Knowing that adds to my enjoyment. It also allowed me to discover new things. But I get that not everyone is into it.
That's the coffee culture in every city though. Even in Berlin, Oslo or Amsterdam there are more chain stores and most people don't know shit about speciality/3rd weave. Though I get the culture is smaller where you live.

I really like the idea of treating coffee like wine (though wine has a worse blind testing culture). Overall I call it sensory experiences. Coffee, wine, food, whiskey. I know one amazing guy who sells natural wines. He imports them directly and knows each and every one of those he sells since he visits all those vineyards. Food is the same. I have a friend who is a sushi master and he does an omakase ceremony each month. The head of Tokyos biggest sushi academy even praised him highly. So yeah I can relate. Well that and a group of foodie friends who go everywhere and eat like crazy.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
given that you can find speciality coffee shops even in Indonesia
A few years back I was riding motorbikes in Thailand up near the Burmese border high in the mountains. Real jungle stuff with monkeys attacking us at waterfalls, buying fuel for the motorbikes at roadside stands selling old wine bottles full of gas and basically remote as hell stuff. But somehow nearly everyone of the little towns and villages we went to had a full boutique coffee establishment with amazing quality and a selection of beans and whatnot that would compare to the stuff I've seen in London and LA.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
A few years back I was riding motorbikes in Thailand up near the Burmese border high in the mountains. Real jungle stuff with monkeys attacking us at waterfalls, buying fuel for the motorbikes at roadside stands selling old wine bottles full of gas and basically remote as hell stuff. But somehow nearly everyone of the little towns and villages we went to had a full boutique coffee establishment with amazing quality and a selection of beans and whatnot that would compare to the stuff I've seen in London and LA.
I'd not exactly compare it since the roasters there mostly use local coffee and coffee form the region is a bit dominated by the volcanic soil. But yeah the region went hard into speciality. Outside of TW, China and Japan they probably still need better roasters but it's growing fast.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
It starts with the first. You get big clients and it lands you at the second. Then the blow starts. It is a dangerous downward spiral.....

3Col_Product_IQ4150_750x470px.jpg

5d570da8cd978428c40778e8.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 5.47.01 AM.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I always like that Rowan Atkinson used to drive his, I knew he'd crashed it once, didn't know about the second time.

Ouch at a ~$1.3m insurance claim, but not a bad profit selling the car for ~$10m.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I always like that Rowan Atkinson used to drive his, I knew he'd crashed it once, didn't know about the second time.

Ouch at a ~$1.3m insurance claim, but not a bad profit selling the car for ~$10m.
great now i'm picturing mr bean hooning around the english countryside

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
great now i'm picturing mr bean hooning around the english countryside
Supposedly he's a good driver and has a great car collection. I'm still surprised how idiotically rich he got off Mr. Bean and Blackadder

I like the fact that he put car seats for his 2 kids and took them on a 5h drive.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm down in Bellvue next week for a conference and I want to ride my bike. That's going to be a bitch for a few days. Luckily I booked the weekend in Issaquah.
Bay area is San Francisco Bay area. Washington sounds cool though :)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
it seems cheap when compared to the $2700 grinder he's referencing.
Exactly that. Also $2700 for an EK43? Prices went down. it used to be easily 500$ more.

So yeah. 3k USD quality for 250$ with the only downside is you have to use a tiny bit of energy? Sign me up

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
The best car ever made......
I still remember being baffeled when iditos were ranting about the bloated slower accelerating ill handling veyrons, touting it as the new king, as it does a better impression of a land speed car, a poor impression at that.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I still remember being baffeled when iditos were ranting about the bloated slower accelerating ill handling veyrons, touting it as the new king, as it does a better impression of a land speed car, a poor impression at that.

I am 99% positive that the F1 had the highest HP motor that was Naturally Aspirated ever put into a road car. Not to mention it weighs 1500lbs less than most of those "HYPERCARS"....

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I am 99% positive that the F1 had the highest HP motor that was Naturally Aspirated ever put into a road car. Not to mention it weighs 1500lbs less than most of those "HYPERCARS"....
F1 = 110.2 hp / liter
My Civic with 2003 K20a Type R = 110.5hp / litre when it was stock.
458 Speciale = 132.7 hp / liter (Highest to date for a production car that I could find)

The F1's BMW is an impressive lump, and still decent but it is a few places down the list. There are quite a few others between the Ferrari and the F1 including more Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, and another Honda (S2000 is 120hp/l) to name a few.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
F1 = 110.2 hp / liter
458 Speciale = 132.7 hp / liter (Highest to date for a production car that I could find)

The F1's BMW is an impressive lump, and still decent but it is a few places down the list. There are quite a few others between the Ferrari and the F1 including more Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, and another Honda (S2000 is 120hp/l) to name a few.

They claimed 650 HP many broke 700HP. Was there ever a Honda making over 300HP without forced induction? Thats is the thing its a 700HP motor. No turbo or supercharger and it rolls at 7K RPM. Hell the one that won Le Mans was almost a stock F1...

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
They claimed 650 HP many broke 700HP. Was there ever a Honda making over 300HP without forced induction? Thats is the thing its a 700HP motor. No turbo or supercharger and it rolls at 7K RPM. Hell the one that won Le Mans was almost a stock F1...
It may have been able to make more than 700hp. But the biggest thing is it's not over cammed so it makes a decent amount of torque. The motor in my previous Honda Accord made 305hp ( J series v6) we tuned it to 345 and put it in my buddies Acura NSX when his v6 was given him issues.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm with ianjenn/Jm/englert: the best road supercar was done and yet to return, in '92 (or '95 LM) with the McLaren F1.

There's a lot of heavy modern non-alternatives, a few lighter ones without a roof for those who don't want to live beyond the first crash, and even a bunch of poser fake McLarens for rich people (cough Gwin) since Gordon Murray left. But for the kind of purist who wants ~1000kg and the linearity and response of an N/A V12 but also 3 seats and a roof, there's nothing else.

I've mentioned it before but the wiki page on it is one of my favourites:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_F1
Particularly the suspension / kinematics parts

The NSX at 1300-1400kg (or 1700kg for the new one) isn't remotely in the same league.
An Elise or Exige is probably a valid poor man's alternative, though questionable in a crash.
I think the spiritual successor to the F1 will either come (again) from Gordon Murray, or from another clever guy who happens to be one of his old customers.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I'm with ianjenn/Jm/englert: the best road supercar was done and yet to return, in '92 (or '95 LM) with the McLaren F1.

There's a lot of heavy modern non-alternatives, a few lighter ones without a roof for those who don't want to live beyond the first crash, and even a bunch of poser fake McLarens for rich people (cough Gwin) since Gordon Murray left. But for the kind of purist who wants ~1000kg and the linearity and response of an N/A V12 but also 3 seats and a roof, there's nothing else.

The NSX at 1300-1400kg (or 1700kg for the new one) isn't remotely in the same league.
An Elise or Exige is probably a valid poor man's alternative, though questionable in a crash.
I think the spiritual successor to the F1 will either come (again) from Gordon Murray, or from another clever guy who happens to be one of his old customers.
A Lotus Evora with a supercharger might come close. Its 2500lbs like the F1 and 350hp N/A it's a bit longer and a better roads car.

I used to co-own an Elise and it's great for tight road courses and autocross. But I wouldn't want to ride it full out with 600+ HP same as putting a V8 in a Miata.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 5.47.29 AM.png

The ULTIMA is basically a Tube Framed race car. Weighs 2100lbs and has motor options from 500-1200HP. You can get this delivered for $150,000 with serious HP numbers. Or go less and get it under $90K. This is the best preformance option out there. Those world records are from the old model BTW.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
F1 = 110.2 hp / liter

That wasn't in Hp/Liter but in pure HP.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

What about Koenigsegg 1:1? Though I've heard mixed things about their handling and F1 seemed like a complete package not a car chasing speed records.

As for response, I think we can discuss the new hybrids. Those kind of create an interesting response though they are heavy but that is offset by low cog and some beeb boop beep.

BTW. If people love naturally aspirated engines we should talk about Honda S2000. It has the highest specific power output of any mass produced naturally aspirated car with 124hp/L

Also if you wanted something cheaper than an F1 but that's light, non turboed and reliable and safe Ruf RGT always seemed like a great car.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

View attachment 138360

The ULTIMA is basically a Tube Framed race car. Weighs 2100lbs and has motor options from 500-1200HP. You can get this delivered for $150,000 with serious HP numbers. Or go less and get it under $90K. This is the best preformance option out there. Those world records are from the old model BTW.
The difference between it and F1 is that's its a race car, F1 is not. There are many road legal race cars that get great results but they are less refined than F1s

BTW if we are talking about car dreams I'd love to own an Aston Martin Lagonda. It's an Aston Martin Wagon where the cockpit looks like it's from star trek and the car is so ugly it's beautiful.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah that ULTIMA would be a stiff road car. No ABS, Traction or other BS so you have to be able to drive. I really want one of these. Its a BackDraft Racing Shelby. 485-885 HP they weigh 2100LBS. They are 1' longer and a bit wider than Original.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
If I'm not mistaken there's a few that have beaten it. The new Ferrari Superfast has some preposterous amount of NA power, like 790 or something.

Nothing has ever come close to the early to mid nineties hyper cars in terms of awesomeness though. F1, Benz GTR & Porsche GT1, those were some downright insane cars.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah that ULTIMA would be a stiff road car. No ABS, Traction or other BS so you have to be able to drive. I really want one of these. Its a BackDraft Racing Shelby. 485-885 HP they weigh 2100LBS. They are 1' longer and a bit wider than Original.

Yeah but unless you're a race car driver I don't think that kind of performance makes sense. For a weekend warrior, it's better to have a weaker car that still has great handling. A tuned Corolla AE86, MR2, S2000, Miata, LS Swapped RX7 since it's lighter than 2JZ and RB (or if you hate yourself and your wallet keep your rotary for the amazing sound), e30.

Also since we've mentioned swaps this makes no sense:

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
A little tangent, but seems fitting in the context of this thread.

All this reminded me of a friend in California, who had an older Ultima with an aluminum Buick V8 when I was doing track days actively during the last decade.

One day, he and his track rat buddies rented Radical SR3s at Spring Mountain Raceway, located north of Las Vegas. One of the guys spun out right in front of him. He got tangled up, damaging the giant carbon wing on the Radical he was driving.

The damage cost him north of $10k plus copious amount of booze he consumed afterwards.

Yeah but unless you're a race car driver I don't think that kind of performance makes sense. For a weekend warrior, it's better to have a weaker car that still has great handling..... e30.
I have a '91 318is :) It's slow but fun at the track, and my bike fits in the truck with wheels off.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah but unless you're a race car driver I don't think that kind of performance makes sense. For a weekend warrior, it's better to have a weaker car that still has great handling. A tuned Corolla AE86, MR2, S2000, Miata, LS Swapped RX7 since it's lighter than 2JZ and RB (or if you hate yourself and your wallet keep your rotary for the amazing sound), e30.

Also since we've mentioned swaps this makes no sense:
The SHELBY is just bad ass. Not sure but it is supposed to handle very well. I think the 500HP would be the best bet.....

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Love the ultima gtr, it demolished all the top gear times on their test track!
Also holds the 0-100-0 street legal record look that up on youtube.... Its nuts
I also have a love for gt40 replicas when built to excess...
Wouldnt mind a modernized cobra or daytona speca with a 500" all aluminum with kassee boss 9 heads or even sohc cammer heads easy 950hp with 750ftlbs

On the topic of lightweight
Radical SR8 i dont remember if its two zx12 heads or two busa heads on a common bottom end, but like 350hp in a 1200lb car......
Fast times

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I am also really really obsessed with these twincharged gems
Action starts at 3:40
Instant throttle response, boost immediately from the supercharger and that actually excites the turbo.
Pretty inear and it doesnt have all that gross backfire antilag.
1960lbs...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I love GT40s, but I think I'd want mine relatively period correct. Huge, thirsty V8, 4 or 5 speed manual gearbox, wide fat tires, zero spoilers or aerodynamic enhancements. There is nothing more terrifying than shitty old cars.