Quantcast

expensive hobbies...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Id go period correct too
Thats 1007hp
I have the holmam and moody fuel injection manifold for that engine.....
With an 8 stack on top it would be period correct for a can am car.....

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
The ULTIMA is basically a Tube Framed race car. Weighs 2100lbs and has motor options from 500-1200HP. You can get this delivered for $150,000 with serious HP numbers. Or go less and get it under $90K. This is the best preformance option out there. Those world records are from the old model BTW.
that's impressive bang for the buck there. i haven't paid much attention to the current state of the hypercar art, so did a quick google to see what's what. evidently the .1% need more toys - there's actually a fairly extensive selection of $2m+ options these days. crazy stuff.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Remember when cars had 400hp and omg that was CRAZZZZZY fast? You can get a Camry with more HP than a Subaru STi now.

Modern cars are so bland and boring. And when every car has a performance or special version, are they really anything special? Looking at you Mercedes....

I'm with the others. The McLaren F1 is one of the greatest cars. The LM version looks even better, in my eyes. Though its strange, a lot of other cars from that era are shit sticks.

Still do want to own a BMW Z3 M Coupe one day.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
A little tangent, but seems fitting in the context of this thread.

All this reminded me of a friend in California, who had an older Ultima with an aluminum Buick V8 when I was doing track days actively during the last decade.

One day, he and his track rat buddies rented Radical SR3s at Spring Mountain Raceway, located north of Las Vegas. One of the guys spun out right in front of him. He got tangled up, damaging the giant carbon wing on the Radical he was driving.

The damage cost him north of $10k plus copious amount of booze he consumed afterwards.

I have a '91 318is :) It's slow but fun at the track, and my bike fits in the truck with wheels off.
You can always swap for an inline 6. Those are quite tunable. Also yeah e30s are fun to drive.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I am also really really obsessed with these twincharged gems
Action starts at 3:40
Instant throttle response, boost immediately from the supercharger and that actually excites the turbo.
Pretty inear and it doesnt have all that gross backfire antilag.
1960lbs...
My father had a Delta HF back in the days. He of course crashed it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
But but it has everything that every car company is trying to do in some form or fashion, whether they actually do anything or not...
  • Angry squinting LED lights....or lasers because lasers are better than LEDS amirite
  • shitty plastic grill with shitty plastic pattern
  • front lip...that does fuck all. but its carbon so........
  • side skirts that OMG fold into the trendy side scoop
  • mirrors with MOAR leds.....and another speed hole?
  • speed holes!
  • without seeing the back I am guess it also has....
  • obnoxious rear defuser that does fuck all.......in carbon because why not
  • fake exhaust holes in the plastic bumper with chrome highlights....or carbon because why not
  • ???

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I love GT40s, but I think I'd want mine relatively period correct. Huge, thirsty V8, 4 or 5 speed manual gearbox, wide fat tires, zero spoilers or aerodynamic enhancements. There is nothing more terrifying than shitty old cars.
I guess you never met a tax inspector

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How could I forget about the trendy LED light bar on the back! Derp!

Looks like its packing a few carbon canoe paddles back there between the exhaust.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That diffuser is probably functional.

(If for nothing else one could probably cut some watermelons in half if one placed them just so and backed up carefully)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That diffuser is probably functional.

(If for nothing else one could probably cut some watermelons in half if one placed them just so and backed up carefully)
Yeah on a car like this no doubt.

But even Mercedes A class cars and others have little nubbin defuser things molded into their bumpers.

It's like all the cars with fake vents; Jeeps, Toyota Supra etc etc. Why? They obviously do nothing, are there just to look sporty or aggressive and I'm sure it just adds to the cost and complexity of the manufacturing process.

/getoffmylawn and bring back good simple design etc.gif

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
But but it has everything that every car company is trying to do in some form or fashion, whether they actually do anything or not...
  • Angry squinting LED lights....or lasers because lasers are better than LEDS amirite
  • speed holes!
  • fake exhaust holes in the plastic bumper with chrome highlights....or carbon because why not
  • ???
I got a friend of mine who is a general fan of super and hyper cars into reading this thread. When he reached the Bugatti he laughed and told me most of the folks who appreciate these cars are complaining the company is trying to lipstick the pig. Same engine, same chassis, brakes and gearbox as their previous models. They are essentially selling a VERY expensive body kit

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
further down the rabbit hole of automotive ridiculousness... this one is $12m before tax. total bill of sale was apparently $19m. only one built, tho.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
  • speed holes!
  • ???
Worst IMO is the huge grille/intakes being done on cars now, like BMWs. They are mostly covered up for aero and just look dumb.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Yeah but unless you're a race car driver I don't think that kind of performance makes sense. For a weekend warrior, it's better to have a weaker car that still has great handling. A tuned Corolla AE86, MR2, S2000, Miata, LS Swapped RX7 since it's lighter than 2JZ and RB (or if you hate yourself and your wallet keep your rotary for the amazing sound), e30.

Also since we've mentioned swaps this makes no sense:
An LS swapped FD RX7 is a blast. So is the 4 rotor motors. 450hp N/A a little oil in the gas keeps them going forever. With boost and running rich washes the oil from the apes seals.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah on a car like this no doubt.

But even Mercedes A class cars and others have little nubbin defuser things molded into their bumpers.

It's like all the cars with fake vents; Jeeps, Toyota Supra etc etc. Why? They obviously do nothing, are there just to look sporty or aggressive and I'm sure it just adds to the cost and complexity of the manufacturing process.

/getoffmylawn and bring back good simple design etc.gif
Hey, when I go to the carwash and come out, steam vents out of my hood nostrils and it looks pretty badass...just sayin.

01fd2ce5f9edada46ec83114440407a2ee3b7a546c.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I got a bit lost on my way to a Postie bike GP today and spotted a couple of McLarens driving on some of the worst roads around.
Had a bit of a look around online and it seems that they were hire cars, site suggests that they were 2013 McLaren 12Cs.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
You can get a Camry with more HP than a Subaru STi now.
1. No you can't.
2. Even if you could, I'd still rather have an STi. There are cars for people that love to drive (STi) and then there are today's over-powered grocery-getters filled with creature comforts (301hp Camry).

Admittedly I'm a bit biased being the owner of an STi. It's uncomfortable in traffic, has a cheap interior that is sometimes a symphony of rattles, and the road noise is tolerable at best.

But man is it fun as hell to drive.

Apples and oranges...

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
1. No you can't.
2. Even if you could, I'd still rather have an STi. There are cars for people that love to drive (STi) and then there are today's over-powered grocery-getters filled with creature comforts (301hp Camry).

Admittedly I'm a bit biased being the owner of an STi. It's uncomfortable in traffic, has a cheap interior that is sometimes a symphony of rattles, and the road noise is tolerable at best.

Apples and oranges...
Yup, I have an 03 Civic Si hatch (SiR Canada) with a full Type R engine / 6 speed LSD tranny swap, big brakes, IHE, K-Pro, suspension, etc etc etc.

Is it fast by today's standards - Nope.
What it is though, is cheap to run and maintain, loud, very agile and a whole lot of fun to wind out to 8500 rpm whilst going up through the gears.
Sometimes simple is good.

Shadetree mechanics for the win.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
1. No you can't.

Apples and oranges...
I'd rather have the WRX these days, the STi engine is just way too old now. The fuel economy of the STi compared to the WRX that only makes around 20-30hp less on the dyno is abysmal. Then there's the gearing and 3500 at 60mph or whatever. Fun, but to really make it worth it the STi should be pumping out around minimum 350hp these days and more like 400 and there should be a decent over-drive gear. My main beef with Subaru was how they were always the absolute last to adopt something and especially in bringing it over to the US, like twin scrolls, 6 speeds in the wrx, direct injection, offering the horrible 4EAT in the FXT and WRX.

I still have a warm place in my heart for a WRX or STi though. I'd love an old 04 STi in pristine condition. That's way to hopeful though, so an 08+ hatch would be my realistic choice. Super utility with the hatch. Sad they didn't keep going that way.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
further down the rabbit hole of automotive ridiculousness... this one is $12m before tax. total bill of sale was apparently $19m. only one built, tho.

Notice...they painted the F-ing tires.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
1. No you can't.

Apples and oranges...
301hp vs 310hp, not exactly a big difference. But yes, you're correct, the Camry does not have more HP than an STi (yet).

But it just highlights my point that cars in general are more capable and powerful in general now. A 2009 Toyota Camry v6 had 268hp vs 301 today. The STi engine is ancient and it shows, its had what, a handful of HP added over the last decade? A 2003 BMW M3 made 333hp and now they can make over 500.

I had an older WRX so know all about the plastic rattly interior. :busted:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I still have a warm place in my heart for a WRX or STi though. I'd love an old 04 STi in pristine condition. That's way to hopeful though, so an 08+ hatch would be my realistic choice. Super utility with the hatch. Sad they didn't keep going that way.
Pristine '04 would be killer, good luck finding that though.

I have a '12 hatch. The EJ25 is old for sure, but it's a solid platform. I'm at just over 100K driving 70 miles/day running an OTS Cobb Stage 1 tune. Honestly, 320-ish HP is enough for me. I'll prob do some driveline upgrades and minor body work and drive the car into the ground just like that.

I still think it's tough to beat a WRX/STi in terms of performance per dollar. Even in stock form the STi is such a raw, almost violent car so it kills me to see it compared to something like a Camry.

In a strange way I'm glad they're getting rid of the EJ and (probably) not brining back the hatch. Makes cars like mine that much more awesome.

Last edited:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
301hp vs 310hp, not exactly a big difference. But yes, you're correct, the Camry does not have more HP than an STi (yet).

But it just highlights my point that cars in general are more capable and powerful in general now. A 2009 Toyota Camry v6 had 268hp vs 301 today. The STi engine is ancient and it shows, its had what, a handful of HP added over the last decade? A 2003 BMW M3 made 333hp and now they can make over 500.

Can't argue with the fact that power levels in general have increased significantly. My guess is that Subaru looked at ROI for increasing power on the STi and figured they'd sell just as many if they didn't change it at all. I feel like it's just not that competitive of a class. After all, you could throw an aftermarket downpipe onto an otherwise stock STi along with a few hours of dyno tuning and you're easily at 350 reliable hp for around $1K. These cars really come alive with a good tune, it's a shame they don't have better tunes from the factory. I'm sure they have to consider people running garbage gas and whatnot, so I guess it makes some sense.

Cars are a combination of priorities just like anything else:

1. Relatively inexpensive
2. Performance-oriented
3. Comfortable

Pick any 2 of the above, but you can't have all 3. At this point in my life at 38 years-old I'll take 1 and 2

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

That 301hp Camry motor fits nicely in the back of a second gen MR2.