Quantcast

experience with Gusset Pigmy cranks ? (versus Profile)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Any of yall had experience with Gusset Pigmy cranks ?
Think they are lighter than Profile Race cranks ?

It says 500g for the arms with Gusset.... The entire Profile crankset including spindle and bb is 1042g.

Gusset Pigmy-3 853 Crankset with BB
  • The ultimate in lightweight strength for Downhill, Freeride or 4X racing
  • Gusset worked with English steel experts Reynolds to produce a state-of-the-art butted, air-hardened 853 CrMo armset at only 500g
  • 853 offers better strength and fatigue resistance than regular CrMo
  • Dual drive with sprocket torque bolt hole on both left and right arms
  • One-piece spindle boss and sprocket fixing boss for precise alignment
  • IASC English threaded CrMo cup 4 cartridge bearing BB with adjustable chainline, 68/73mm (246g)
  • 153mm width 48 tooth stepped 20/19mm BB axle with one-key release (OKR) bolts/caps included (332g axle with bolts)
  • Bolt-on spider sold separately: use BTI part number GU-1192 (104BCD)

Compare to Profiles....

Race Cranks

• Tubular welded CrMo crank arms are available in more colors and sizes than any other crankset.

• BB spindles available in Solid and Hollow CrMo and Titanium

• Limited Lifetime Warranty on arms and spindles

• LHD and RHD compatible. 170, 175, 180mm

• Available in 145, 160, 165, 170, 175, 177, 180, 185, 190mm

• Available in Black, Chrome Plated, Raw, White

• Crankset with Mid BB and Hollow CrMo spindle: 1042g

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
they are interesting certainly. I wonder if they truly got an 853 tubeset built to their crank specs or if it is off-the-shelf 853.

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
I have rocked them on my mtb for about the last 3.5-4 years. Good ****...set up is a little weird, but if you read the directions...yer totally fine. I've had absolutey no problems mainly riding dj's and some cement park. I have never owned profiles though, but they are better than the primo's I have on my bmx imo.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Ran a set of these for about a year before I sold my bike (with them).

I put 'em through regular abuse and I gotta say, they're pretty solid cranks. Weight wasn't really a concern for me.

Sep 12, 2004
i was going to order the gusset 853 cranks until i looked at the price for them. i really liked that they just used a standard 48 spline spindle - pair those crank arms with a ti spindle and theyre the lightest bmx style cranks you can buy (i havent seen anything lighter)

i didnt want to spend the extra cash and wound up going with colony colonial cranks