Quantcast

Experience with Mavic Tubless XC rims?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I've had a set of X3.1s for a while now, but haven't used them much (bought them as a 'trail' set of wheels for my freeride bike and just ended up running the heavy wheels all the time).

I've now had them on my XC HT for a few months, but until about a month ago, I was doing mostly fireroad riding on them. Been running Conti Vert Pro USTs. Now I'm looking at a new hardtail which will be my all-round trail-ish bike.

Trying to decide what to run, wheel-wise. What's everyone's experience with the X3.1s/whatever 800-series they are now (819?)? Are they closer to XC rims or the all-around bash'em 519 style rims?

Speedgoat swore they were equivalent to the 519s when I bought 'em, but I just wanted to hear from some other users' experiences...

I'm thinking about having 2 wheelsets for this bike, too. We'll see.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
ive been running the x3.1's on my XC race bike for about 3 years now. They were built up on a hugi onyx rear hub and cannondale front hub. After 3 years of abuse they have seen better days but the rims for the most part still hold air rather well. I usually ride with about 30-35 psi in the tires as well.

i think theyll be fine used as a set of "trail" rims.

matt

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, I guess what I'm asking is...how far can I push them? I tend to ride my "xc" bike just like my DH bike...

I think I'm better off getting 2 wheelsets in the end...I'll put 2.3/2.1 trail tires on the XC bike and 2.5/2.2 Michelin UST Dh tires on the DH wheelset. Heck, I have some wheels I can do it with already, just need cut off the old rims and buy new rims and spokes.

MD

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I had a set of the x3.1's for a couple of seasons with no problems on my xc bike.I think they would be ok as a "light" trail wheelset.On the other hand if you ride as agressively trail riding as dh'n then I think you might be better off just gettin another wheelset.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
well im not sure how you ride, but i wouldnt start jumping on to sharp pointy rocks with mine. i mean i dont do huge drops or anything on them, nothing over at most 3 feet, but ive beat the hell out of mine on the rocky east coast and the rims have held up fine. I would use them for a "trail" bike.

matt

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I run a Crossroc UST front and a Hadley/823 (I think that's the number, it's the new XC one) rear with Vertical Pro 2.3s and a little Stans. I love them. I've never had any flats, air stays in for quite some time, mounting wasn't too bad and they seem pretty durable. I ride fairly hard (bike is a giant vt, used for trailriding) and quite often in the spring, summer and fall. I think I've only had to true them once or twice.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Did Mavic do away with the CrossMax XL's for '05? I couldn't find them on their website. I think they may have changed the name to CrossMax Enduro or something...

I have heard good things about the XL's even though I can't see how 24 alloy spokes could possibly be strong? Maybe that's the ticket Mike?

I recommend purchasing some extra spokes for any Mavic wheelset because if you break one you can't just buy one anywhere. The bummer is that Mavic only sells like 10-packs and they are $$$.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
punkassean said:
Did Mavic do away with the CrossMax XL's for '05? I couldn't find them on their website. I think they may have changed the name to CrossMax Enduro or something...
yes they do - I was just looking at them in the 2005 Mavic catalog when i was at LBS this week.

they were under Cross Mountain Wheelsets.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, here's a-what-I'm-a-gonna-do, then:

I'll run the X3.1s most of the time, like I'd planned to anyhow. But since I just scored a cheap, cheap new 823 DH UST rim, I'll get another one from Go-ride (they include the spokes with the rim purchase, so it's not so bad...) and build them up anyhow, seeing as I have the hubs available. This way, I can ride the XC wheels 80% of the time, but when we're truly doing something rough on the HT, I'll have something secure to ride on. If it turns out I only use one wheelset out of the pair, I'll sell it. Viola. Easy enough, and sorry to have asked the sort of stupid question I find annoying (ie, "even though I know the answer I'm gonna ask you guys because).

Mike

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ditto... Love my 3.1's Rode the HECK out of them.

MY local shop (the Bike Co. who wrenches for Hans and Lopes) swears by them too... they use them on all their trail bikes and run them down some nasty DH trails.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
-BB- said:
Ditto... Love my 3.1's Rode the HECK out of them.

MY local shop (the Bike Co. who wrenches for Hans and Lopes) swears by them too... they use them on all their trail bikes and run them down some nasty DH trails.
They're riding these suckers down Direct Dial and Telonics...?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
MikeD said:
They're riding these suckers down Direct Dial and Telonics...?

Yup.
I have too...

Remember thos shots of the Turner 6-pack on DD or Iris (I confuse the two)? I think it had the 3.1 replacements on it.

lol... I keep forgetting you are local.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hm, maybe I won't be buying those DH wheels straight-out, then...inneresting...