Quantcast

Experience with the Sedro Wolley DNR? Help us!

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
We are in need of some help with the event we are hoping to put on in September. We have been working with the Sedro Wolley DNR for over a month now, trying to get answers on what we need to do to get land approval to host this event. Initially the individual we were in contact with gave us hope, saying that there is an 80% chance it would get approved. We have since been passed on to two other individuals who now are saying that chances are they wont approve it but will review our formal proposal.

We are drafting a proposal right now that includes:
-Details on the event with estimated attendance in max of 250 for two days
-Detailed orthophoto maps with course locations and designated parking area and vehicle travel paths
-Proposal of 2 or 3 yearly trash clean ups of the proposed event area, the first to be before the end of June and the second to be in October
-Proposal of assistance in preventing users from interfering with the salmon habitat that is in danger in this area.
-3-5 professionaly made signs explaining the status of the area and asking users to refrain from using the area within the sign boundaries
-Providing information on our team website regarding the salmon habitat and trails that are restricted

What bugs me right now is they allow dirt bikers to use the Reiter Pit area to host events as long as they do annual trash clean ups and other things, they have larger turn out, more impact (although dont get me wrong, I am not against dirt bikes) and far more people traffic, why cant we host a small mountain bike event?

Anyone have experience working with anyone at the Sedro Wolley DNR? Or have suggestions on what we can do to get this event to happen, we need land approval before we can get going with anything else.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
We tried to get access to Reiter Pit to hold races up there last year.

Getting any answers out of the DNR was a joke. We were passed on to one guy that was never at his desk. He was always out in the field or on vacation. We left numerous messages with him or anyone else we could get in touch with no avail.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by Snacks
We tried to get access to Reiter Pit to hold races up there last year.

Getting any answers out of the DNR was a joke. We were passed on to one guy that was never at his desk. He was always out in the field or on vacation. We left numerous messages with him or anyone else we could get in touch with no avail.
We are trying to get access to the North Fork Area, its known by other names but its off the North Fork road here in Bellingham. Initially they told us they were glad we went to them to get approval, I am just going to be really bummed if yet again our conference has no collegiate championships, we need this event!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by mplutodh1
We are trying to get access to the North Fork Area, its known by other names but its off the North Fork road here in Bellingham. Initially they told us they were glad we went to them to get approval, I am just going to be really bummed if yet again our conference has no collegiate championships, we need this event!
Oh ya, when we called them about getting approval for the events they were really positive, and then it all came to a halt.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
We are in need of some help with the event we are hoping to put on in September. We have been working with the Sedro Wolley DNR for over a month now, trying to get answers on what we need to do to get land approval to host this event. Initially the individual we were in contact with gave us hope, saying that there is an 80% chance it would get approved. We have since been passed on to two other individuals who now are saying that chances are they wont approve it but will review our formal proposal.
We are drafting a proposal right now that includes:
-Details on the event with estimated attendance in max of 250 for two days
-Detailed orthophoto maps with course locations and designated parking area and vehicle travel paths
-Proposal of 2 or 3 yearly trash clean ups of the proposed event area, the first to be before the end of June and the second to be in October
-Proposal of assistance in preventing users from interfering with the salmon habitat that is in danger in this area.
-3-5 professionaly made signs explaining the status of the area and asking users to refrain from using the area within the sign boundaries
-Providing information on our team website regarding the salmon habitat and trails that are restricted
What bugs me right now is they allow dirt bikers to use the Reiter Pit area to host events as long as they do annual trash clean ups and other things, they have larger turn out, more impact (although dont get me wrong, I am not against dirt bikes) and far more people traffic, why cant we host a small mountain bike event?
Anyone have experience working with anyone at the Sedro Wolley DNR? Or have suggestions on what we can do to get this event to happen, we need land approval before we can get going with anything else.
My club hosts events in the Reiter Trail area. The land is used by DirtBikes, 4x4's, horses, ATV's, HIkers, MTB, etc. My club has a long standing relationship with the land owners (I am not clear if DNR owns the land as it is rare l see rangers there....and if they did (like Tahuya) they would be all over that. I think much of the land is owned by a tree farmer. :think: but I am not sure.

A college buddy (jason) called me this morning and said he ran in to my old college roommate(rob) in MT Vernon. I guess he works for the DOE (ecology) and lives up in Sedro. I don't know if that can help you in the future but he used to ride MTB's alot and raced a couple times. I can't say for sure if this new info can help you but it might be something you can use. I haven't seen Rob in over 3 years and I will probably not meet up with him for for a month or two...as our schedules allow.

I do think some of your biggest obsticles are:
- No trail exists there
- Salmon habitat (that is a biggie)
- Event staging area
- Future abuse (they have to monitor it not you)
- Of course liability
- Studies required in order to approve use of the land.

It isn't as easy as walking in and signing your name on a peice of paper. I don't think you believed it was going to be easy, but this is also a government agency that is the stewart of the land and things don't happen over night. Telephone calls and attending meetings and getting your foot in the door is important. Finding a freindly ear is another....though they might not have the pull to make what you want happen it is a start. None of this is practicle (traveling for 5pm meeting every 2 weeks in Sedro, kissing arse, etc.) but is standard proceedure from what I see.

Keep trying new people and ask what do they need from you to make this work........

Good luck.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Are you using existing trail systems? I forgot Kai told me you were using Northfork....:duh Rhino: :)

Any other events take place at teh Northfork area? Contact the clubs that put them on and get contact names and suggestions...they probably have the right people to contact.

RHino

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Oh ya, when we called them about getting approval for the events they were really positive, and then it all came to a halt.
Sounds like someone got overrided by a superior. Did you ask why so that you could correct it in the future?

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
The trials motorcycle community has events at Reiter all the time as well as the cross country moto guys.I see the Everett powersports tent at some of these events,call and talk to them.The 4wd and moto community has our annual cleanup coming up on the 2nd of May out at Reiter,some of the people you might need to talk to should be present there.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Sounds like someone got overrided by a superior. Did you ask why so that you could correct it in the future?
I wouldn't say it got overrode, just there was zero contact made with the man that was to give the final okay. We called and left message after message, we asked to talk to someone that was more avaible, they never got back to us.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I wouldn't say it got overrode, just there was zero contact made with the man that was to give the final okay. We called and left message after message, we asked to talk to someone that was more avaible, they never got back to us.
Did you give up? Sounds like you needed to make nice with the guy holding you up. The whole process sucks.

Rhino

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Did you give up? Sounds like you needed to make nice with the guy holding you up. The whole process sucks.

Rhino
We ran out of time. We need to have all the paper work turned into NORBA six weeks before an event. Then we got the okay for Monty and PA.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
We ran out of time. We need to have all the paper work turned into NORBA six weeks before an event. Then we got the okay for Monty and PA.
I know you guys aren't doing it any more but did you follow up with him for future events....if you wanted to do it there?