Quantcast

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
not confusing just musing on a marketing ploy to get hippies to buy your crap. I needed some yogurt at costco and they were out of the ususal stuff I buy so I grabbed a tub of what they had, to me Yogurt is yogurt. This stuff is runny crap. I fed it to my dogs.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
so how is it a marketing ploy?
well most vegetarians, profess that their diet is kinder to animals and better for the environment, huge maketing scam.....

But here they are eating a animal by product from a grain fed methane creating cow, that as soon as its milk production drops off will get turned into hamburger and leather clothes

:thumb:

make the yogurt out of Soy Milk and I will buy the "Vegetarian" label

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well most vegetarians, profess that their diet is kinder to animals and better for the environment, huge maketing scam.....

But here they are eating a animal by product from a grain fed methane creating cow, that as soon as its milk production drops off will get turned into hamburger and leather clothes

:thumb:

make the yogurt out of Soy Milk and I will buy the "Vegetarian" label
see posts #2, #5, #8. Also, never heard a vegetarian claim that their diet is "better for the environment".

Vegetarian = no meat / parts from a dead animal. So milk is OK, gelatin is not.

vegan = nothing from an animal period.

Why is this so difficult to understand? :confused:

edit: yogurt made with soy milk and no gelatin would be vegan yogurt. not vegetarian

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
see posts #2, #5, #8. Also, never heard a vegetarian claim that their diet is "better for the environment".

Vegetarian = no meat / parts from a dead animal. So milk is OK, gelatin is not.

vegan = nothing from an animal period.

Why is this so difficult to understand? :confused:
I live in hippy hell, Santa Cruz County, I here this drivel all the time from the leather shoe wearing vegetarian set [who by the way all look sickly]

the I'm holier that you semantics game of vegetarian/vegan is hysterical

I'm gonna BBQ some Tri Tip tonight and have some beer

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
not confusing just musing on a marketing ploy to get hippies to buy your crap. I needed some yogurt at costco and they were out of the ususal stuff I buy so I grabbed a tub of what they had, to me Yogurt is yogurt. This stuff is runny crap. I fed it to my dogs.
yea this thread is full of fail, considering your complete lack of knowledge of what your slamming.
Have fun with your dogs $hitting all over your carpet:thumb:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I live in hippy hell, Santa Cruz County, I here this drivel all the time from the leather shoe wearing vegetarian set [who by the way all look sickly]

the I'm holier that you semantics game of vegetarian/vegan is hysterical

I'm gonna BBQ some Tri Tip tonight and have some beer
It is hear cuz you HEAR with your EAR. :p

mmmmm....tri-tip....:drool:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Actually I was a vegetarian for six years back in the 80's so I do understand...and it is bull****
Not really getting what could be bull**** about it since there are all sorts of reasons why people choose to be vegan or vegetarian. And I'm not sure how you could really show that a vegetarian diet isn't any better for the environment on the whole since it uses less land and energy, kills less animals, requires less animals and all that..... I'm not a vegetarian and I deal with lots of nutters who have some crazy ideas about health and diet, but you sound more "holier than thou" than any vegetarian I've talked to.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
...it uses less land and energy, kills less animals, requires less animals and all that...
It's less clear than that. Vegetarians get their calories from somewhere, and if you eliminate animals you replace those calories with other stuff, stuff that requires energy to produce, transport, etc. Sure, you kill less animals, but it's not the bonus for environment it might appear. I've even read that since meat packs a lot of calories, in some ways it's better.

Either way, massive feedlot (animals) and monoculture (corn, soybeans) practices of industrial agriculture are basically horrible for the environment.

And if done right, farm animals are a critical component to a diversified, sustainable farm. Animals provide fertilizer (that along with the sun) grow the grass and crop scrap that feed the animals. Remove the plants or the animals and you often end up turning to chemicals that are based on fossil-fuels - not exactly sustainable.

Did someone say Michael Pollan?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Actually I was a vegetarian for six years back in the 80's so I do understand...and it is bull****
So.... you were a vegetarian that avoided any animal product like milk, eggs, etc? I'm still finding it hard to figure out what your original post is about, since vegetarian yogurt made from milk is a-ok by any vegetarian I know of. Just admit you F'd up and mistook vegetarian for vegan...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
It's less clear than that. Vegetarians get their calories from somewhere, and if you eliminate animals you replace those calories with other stuff, stuff that requires energy to produce, transport, etc. Sure, you kill less animals, but it's not the bonus for environment it might appear. I've even read that since meat packs a lot of calories, in some ways it's better.

Either way, massive feedlot (animals) and monoculture (corn, soybeans) practices of industrial agriculture are basically horrible for the environment.

And if done right, farm animals are a critical component to a diversified, sustainable farm. Animals provide fertilizer (that along with the sun) grow the grass and crop scrap that feed the animals. Remove the plants or the animals and you often end up turning to chemicals that are based on fossil-fuels - not exactly sustainable.

Did someone say Michael Pollan?
I know it's not simple. But meat takes more energy to produce than plants by weight, calorie or whatever else. And, yes, massive feedlots and monoculture are not good. But they are necessary to accomodate people's desire for meat. Less meat probably means less of those horrible things. It's not simple, but it makes no sense to suggest that because it's complex, your choices don't really matter.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I know it's not simple. But meat takes more energy to produce than plants by weight, calorie or whatever else. And, yes, massive feedlots and monoculture are not good. But they are necessary to accomodate people's desire for meat. Less meat probably means less of those horrible things. It's not simple, but it makes no sense to suggest that because it's complex, your choices don't really matter.
QFMFT!

I've been rocking Crossfit for almost 3 months now fully vegan. There are 2 other vegans in my group and we are all kicking ass and healthy. Saying things like "my friend looked sickly until he started eating meat" is ridiculous. There's multiple ways to skin a cat (weird pun intended).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
QFMFT!

I've been rocking Crossfit for almost 3 months now fully vegan. There are 2 other vegans in my group and we are all kicking ass and healthy. Saying things like "my friend looked sickly until he started eating meat" is ridiculous. There's multiple ways to skin a cat (weird pun intended).
Every time you start your 400+hp Audi, a cow in Candler gets asthma.