Quantcast

Explaining Religious Psychosis

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I rarely ever contact my sister as she is a con-artist and crazy. She recently found god, I am pretty sure this is just a way of getting money a church worth of people. Anyhow, she recently was driving across country with six of her young hell-spawn in the car and got a flat tire. She had no spare. She declared it was a miracle that AAA showed up to help. I couldn't help but to correct her on the fact that miracles have no worldly explanation and that AAA showing up after a phone call had a very logical explanation. The actual miracle would have been if she had a reliable car before hauling 6 young kids across the country in the middle of the fucking winter. This was all on Facebook and I stirred up a hornets nest of her church friends telling me it was all gods work. My only reply was if that was the case that my pointing out her erroneous description of a miracle was also gods work and they should show it some damned respect. It was all quickly erased.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I rarely ever contact my sister as she is a con-artist and crazy. She recently found god, I am pretty sure this is just a way of getting money a church worth of people. Anyhow, she recently was driving across country with six of her young hell-spawn in the car and got a flat tire. She had no spare. She declared it was a miracle that AAA showed up to help. I couldn't help but to correct her on the fact that miracles have no worldly explanation and that AAA showing up after a phone call had a very logical explanation. The actual miracle would have been if she had a reliable car before hauling 6 young kids across the country in the middle of the fucking winter. This was all on Facebook and I stirred up a hornets nest of her church friends telling me it was all gods work. My only reply was if that was the case that my pointing out her erroneous description of a miracle was also gods work and they should show it some damned respect. It was all quickly erased.
spending time on facebook....poor life choices.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
She declared it was a miracle that AAA showed up to help.
I saw a video on CNN or HuffPo recently about a coffee shop employee who rode the bus everyday received a car from her customers as a collective Christmas present. She of course was ecstatic about the car and moved to tears by the generous gift. But the first thing she said, was "God is so good to me..." Uhh, no real actual humans are good to you.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
"When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible.”"

Um hello who the hell do you think wrote the Bible {pick an edition , any edition) in the first place you moron

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-01-22/im-woman-america-and-i-wasnt-allowed-drive

I grew up in a small, densely populated village in upstate New York called Kiryas Joel. And in Kiryas Joel, woman don’t drive. It’s a village of ultra-Orthodox Hasidic Jews. In my hometown, women can't be jailed for driving like they can in Saudi Arabia. But driving is still forbidden. A woman who drives would risk being shunned, and her children expelled from the private Hasidic school. She could be excommunicated from the community.

Growing up, it never dawned on me that driving was a possibility. No woman in my family or neighborhood ever did. We were taught that our tznius, our modesty, would be at stake. But I think there’s something else. For Hasidic women, being banned from the wheel means being tied to your husband and to your community. Driving gives you the keys to freedom and independence.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alabamas-top-judge-gay-marriage-rulings-are-federal-tyranny-n294991

Alabama's controversial Supreme Court Chief Justice, Roy Moore, urged the state's governor on Tuesday to oppose a federal judge's decision to strike down the state's gay marriage ban, saying "we must act to oppose such tyranny" being imposed by "judicial fiat."

Moore, known for unsuccessfully trying to block the removal of a plaque bearing the Ten Commandments that he'd installed at the state courthouse in 2001, told Gov. Roy Bentley in a letter that nothing in Alabama's constitution allowed the federal government to "redefine" marriage to include gays and lesbians. The state supreme court, he said, has described marriage as a "divine institution."

"Today the destruction of that institution is upon us by federal courts using specious pretexts based on the Equal Protection, Due Process and Full Faith and Credit Clauses of the United States Constitution," he wrote in the letter posted to AL.com.

^^ and this clown is the head of the state supreme court?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/02/iceland-temple-norse-gods-1000-years

Seems they're less crazy than the Christians in the area...

Worship of the gods in Scandinavia gave way to Christianity around 1,000 years ago but a modern version of Norse paganism has been gaining popularity in Iceland.

“I don’t believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet,” said Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson, high priest of Ásatrúarfélagið, an association that promotes faith in the Norse gods.

We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology.

Membership in Ásatrúarfélagið has tripled in Iceland in the last decade to 2,400 members last year, out of a total population of 330,000, data from Statistics Iceland showed.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Too many people have faith in a delusional world view:

The experiments, which Lerner expanded over the next few decades, were investigations into that fundamental human impulse enshrined in ancient religions, new-age platitudes, and countless clichés: a belief that people get what they deserve, that what goes around comes around, that chickens inevitably come home to roost.

This is, of course, a demonstrable lie—life is unfair; chickens wander all over the place—and yet it remains a remarkably powerful belief. Since Lerner’s experiments, “belief in a just world” (or BJW) has been a tested against a variety of attitudes and actions. People who strongly believe in a just world have been shown to be prone to blame sexual assault victims, more willing to malign people suffering from minor illnesses, less compassionate towards victims of spousal abuse.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nonsense, the most basic principle of religion is: "whatever you believe=true!"

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Which means he's not associated with anyone, including other atheists. You can't be a generic member of a group that's not a visible, coherent group.

It’s a little odd that believers would dislike atheists so much, says Will Gervais, a graduate student at the University of British Columbia who did the new study with his advisor, Ara Norenzayan. Atheists are a small minority in America, they are not a visible or coherent group, and most aren’t particularly noisy about their beliefs. Previous studies by the same authors have found that the dislike mostly comes from distrust. “It seemed like distrust was driven by the belief that people act better if they feel like they’re being watched by God,” Gervais says.