Quantcast

Explaining Religious Psychosis

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Republicans Propose Declaring Idaho A 'Christian State'

The measure argues that the Christian faith is under "strident attack" in the United States, and cites as evidence the absence of Christian traditions and symbols in public institutions such as schools.

Not being openly promoted by the government now means "strident attack". By this logic all other religions are also under attack as well as my penis. Illogical logic is illogical.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Guess this also goes in here too - most popular and destructive modern faith/delusion - Corporate America:

http://www.utne.com/economy/meaning-at-work-ze0z1502znut.aspx

Like so many social categories, “the job” has been taken for granted as a thing of lasting value and dependable stability. The idea of having a job, however, is founded on a distinct cultural history in the West. In the Western world, at least, it has come to be taken as a given—a fundamental part of being human. We can trace the origins of this particular notion of work to the Industrial Revolution. Although we may now shudder at the thought of a jobless world, the modern job was something fashioned to service the economic realities of the industrializing world in the nineteenth century. Many at that time saw the idea of discretely packaged vocations as a violation of people’s basic freedoms, and it was met with no shortage of criticism. Nevertheless, the job as we know it was a response to the demands of the kinds of work and the particular workplace that the industrial economy of the 1800s spawned.
Given the necessity for believing in “the way,” what amounts to a kind of dependency or forced addiction appears to have developed: “At a certain point in the corporation, you change your worth. You trade in your career capital to benefit the company. You’re worth more to the company that you’ve been working for than you are on the street. You get up to here [he raises his fork to eye level before me], but if you were to go looking for another job you don’t start there. That’s just the way it works. I think that corporate America takes advantage of that. It’s the ‘golden handcuffs.’ And you have to have faith.”
The idea that work might be used to provide a way toward finding greater fulfillment is not new. It was established in a fundamentally religious context during the Reformation with deep roots in the Protestant ethic of work. Luther said that one might live acceptably before God by devotion to one’s secular “calling” as God’s will. It was on this basic notion that the ethic of self-discipline, duty, asceticism, and a basic concern with achievement and personal betterment through work would be based. The true believer would come to have the conviction that work was worthwhile in its own right as an indirect way of rendering service to God and by developing one’s own moral character. In the end, work would become the very core of moral life and thus—as the philosopher Charles Taylor suggests—a way of finding orientation in the world.
The faith in the delusion is misplaced:

We are entering a world where the preponderance of accountability for risk-related decisions such as concerning finances, insurance, and privacy will be shifted to the individual as companies as well as state and federal government agencies reign in support services and benefits as a means of cutting costs.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Iconoclasts are common among all of the deluded through out the ages.

These days radical Christian Americans also look favorably on the Dark Ages with efforts to replace science, history, and other topics with delusional ignorance. Book burnings/bans are not uncommon.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
http://gossip9aija.com/news/see-baby-girl-born-with-elephant-nose/

A baby girl born with an “elephant trunk” is being worshipped as a Hindu god in a village in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, in northern India

The girl, who has not yet been named, was born to Rambabu Sarvesh and his wife Banna Devi on Thursday. Since then thousands of onlookers from all over the country flocked to a small village to see the new-born infant. The locals believe that the baby girl is an incarnation of the Hindu deity Ganesha, who also has a trunk.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
http://www.eater.com/2015/4/1/8325219/indiana-pizza-parlor-public-deny-service-lgbt-gay-law-discrimination

I don't know of any gay folks who would order pizza for a wedding, but rock on with your Christian values.
What if you wanted to order pizza while wearing a nice wool/cotton blended scarf?

Deuteronomy 22:11: Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together.

I hope they don't use ingredients that were grown in the same field or have customers with labradoodles

Leviticus 19:19: 'Do not mate different kinds of animals. "'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. "

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I actually support a christian's right to discriminate on behalf of religious belief. They should just then be required to adhere to every line in the bible.

Reading up a little more on Leviticus, the book that defines homosexuality as bad. Women are also supposed to sacrifice a dove and a pigeon eight days after her period. Men are to do the same every time they blow a wad. You are supposed to sprinkle your house with birds blood if you have mildew.

There are also a lot of things that will require a large number of goats, and blood. Lots of goats and blood.

Last edited: