Quantcast

Explaining Religious Psychosis

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Story of the day from my Tico BiL

It's a rainy morning and somebody ring the bell at my house , they were jehovah's witnesses , the lady started talking about God's love to me.
I asked her....can u please read to me 1 Timothy 2:11-15 and she red it , when she finished reading it, I asked her again....what you think about that....her answer was....have a great day

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just saw an infomercial for faith based debt reduction. Give these people money and they will pray for your debt to go away through supernatural effects.

Maybe the republicans can offer healing vibes and prayer as part of their health care plan.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just saw an infomercial for faith based debt reduction. Give these people money and they will pray for your debt to go away through supernatural effects.

Maybe the republicans can offer healing vibes and prayer as part of their health care plan.
Prayer is already the solution for GSW injuries and being dead from a mass shooting so that might work.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Here's a fun game to play at your next party. Ignore anything you may know about a religion but describe it'd main deity based on the actions of leaders who claim piety in said religion. I'll start

Jesus: A wealthy warlord bent on acquiring power and destroying those that disagree with him. Promotes a social system based on favoring the privileged and punishing the disadvantage for their terrible state as they are to blame for their own terrible condition.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Another reason I cannot attend church any longer...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mother in law recently passed away. She was a life long church goer, a really sweet and goofy old lady with a big heart. (She also always got me cool Xmas gifts, but thats another story.) When my father in law got sick, the two of them moved to Kentucky (Yeah, I know...) to be nearer to family, away from the church and town where their kids were raised. As they were old and in a seniors home, they didnt attend church regularly, but made it when they could, attending the sister in laws church. FiL passed 6 years ago or so, and she was simply hanging on since then. When she passed, the sister in law asked the pastor from her (SiL) church if he would deliver a eulogy for MiL...pretty simple right?

He said he didnt know if he could, but he would pray about it...well, apparently Missouri synod (him) Lutheran Jeebus hates Wisconsin synod (MiL) types, because he came back and said he couldn't.

My translation- she never put enough $$ into his branch of the church, so he wouldn't. Not couldn't, simply wouldn't.

He knew her, its not like she was some stranger. They ended up going begging to the pastor of another church who said he would do it.

HOW HARD IS IT TO SAY A FEW KIND WORDS ABOUT A SWEET OLD LADY ON HER PASSING FROM THIS WORLD INTO THE NEXT?

So if you want an explanation for religious psychosis, try this Money talks, bullshit walks.

Reminds me of when my Mum passed, and I said offhandedly to a hardcore Xtian (former) friend of mine- "Well, I guess she is in a better place now..." His reply was something along the lines of "Not necessarily..."
Like I said...former friend.

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Some bald dude.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A bit laughable from infamous human rights violators like Russia, but JW cult banned:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39661339

Russia court outlaws 'extremist' Jehovah's Witnesses

"One pamphlet distributed by the group quoted the novelist Leo Tolstoy as describing the doctrine of the Russian Orthodox Church as superstition and sorcery.

Officials have accused the religion of destroying families, propagating hatred and endangering lives."
JW's and Russian nationalists are both well known for hating gays and transgender people. JW official children's brainwashing video:

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here in the US JWs, like other extremist cults, shun education - critical thinking shrinks the membership:

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/19/510585965/poor-education-leads-to-lost-dreams-and-low-income-for-many-jehovahs-witnesses

JW's abuse US tax laws like Scientologists and others cults:

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20150307/NEWS/150309486

Scientologist and JW's cult have much in common:

But even former JWs realize that bans aren't usually the best approach:

http://jwsurvey.org/news/banning-witnesses-making-bad-situation-worse