Quantcast

Explaining Religious Psychosis

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just had to walk away from a conversation with my Dad. Not surprisingly, after my uncle died unexpectedly a few years ago he had a real check to his mortality. Moving to TX hasn't helped this, because churches are an easy way to be social. So he started going to church over the last few years.

He was having a conversation with MIL1 about how he's been looking at religion from the standpoint of an engineer... Yadda yadda. And how Christianity is the one he feels he fits in best with... Yadda yadda. So I asked if he's ready the bible yet, which he said he has not. "So if you haven't actually read the book on which the whole religion is based, how do you know if you actually agree with it? Or do you just agree with the parts that have been picked out and told to you?" He challenged me as to whether I have read it, which I have a few times, which has made me a vehemently atheist as I am today.

He tried to change topic about how the "non-moral" people have killed more and any other ever, but didn't like that I pointed out Hitler was German Christian, which was a Protestant sub-sect. Or that god* has wiped the earth clean of life multiple times, which is far more that any of the most despicable humans ever did.

So fucking frustrating that he's drifting down the 70y/o, falling into religion because of fear of death, track.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just had to walk away from a conversation with my Dad. Not surprisingly, after my uncle died unexpectedly a few years ago he had a real check to his mortality. Moving to TX hasn't helped this, because churches are an easy way to be social. So he started going to church over the last few years.

He was having a conversation with MIL1 about how he's been looking at religion from the standpoint of an engineer... Yadda yadda. And how Christianity is the one he feels he fits in best with... Yadda yadda. So I asked if he's ready the bible yet, which he said he has not. "So if you haven't actually read the book on which the whole religion is based, how do you know if you actually agree with it? Or do you just agree with the parts that have been picked out and told to you?" He challenged me as to whether I have read it, which I have a few times, which has made me a vehemently atheist as I am today.

He tried to change topic about how the "non-moral" people have killed more and any other ever, but didn't like that I pointed out Hitler was German Christian, which was a Protestant sub-sect. Or that god* has wiped the earth clean of life multiple times, which is far more that any of the most despicable humans ever did.

So fucking frustrating that he's drifting down the 70y/o, falling into religion because of fear of death, track.
It's never too late

I think we can still get him on a Qanon path

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

"Hey Dad, quit being a dumbass."

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You seem to be seriously plugged into this shit.
Somewhat. Although the specific daily nuances of Q shit in particular is kind of hard to keep up with because it's multiple sources and constantly evolving.

I like to know where the bullshit comes from when idiots spew it. It's no different than understanding the protocols of the elders of zion and where even that came from. Violent morons rarely have new ideas, just new wrappers.

That's why I always know brain is just reading a pre-prepared script.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What MP was rebelling against mostly was Victorian culture. While it was an obvious hit at religion...the entire premise of their comedy was centered around the ridiculousness of the Victorian way of life, being "proper", not showing any weakness, etc. That guy debating them is exactly who they were targeting, from the time they started. Not because he's religious...but because of his Victorian mindset. At least, that's what Jesus Cleese said when I saw him in person...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
What MP was rebelling against mostly was Victorian culture. While it was an obvious hit at religion...the entire premise of their comedy was centered around the ridiculousness of the Victorian way of life, being "proper", not showing any weakness, etc. That guy debating them is exactly who they were targeting, from the time they started. Not because he's religious...but because of his Victorian mindset. At least, that's what Jesus Cleese said when I saw him in person...
I found the old codger lamenting how British society was going to hell in a handbasket especially amusing. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Other than maybe graham chapman, I'm glad every python outlived those pieces of shit.

I never would have thought someone could be more pompous than john cleese but those two blathering two by fours up an anus probably went on about the divinity of slavery and the western destiny a few years earlier.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

My sister was mad because my father the moderate Republican stayed an Atheist up and through his last breath. I just smiled and then she got mad at me because I too am completely anti religion.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A friend of mine grew up in an evangelical family. He eventually grew up and escaped the cult. His mother just bought him this book.

1696785526193.png

What if you or someone you loved missed out on the Rapture? What happens to those who are left behind? Trusted Bible teacher Dr. David Jeremiah shares the help and hope people will need as they face the End Times in this timely, easy-to-understand guidebook for believers and non-believers alike.

:rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
A friend of mine grew up in an evangelical family. He eventually grew up and escaped the cult. His mother just bought him this book.

View attachment 201707

What if you or someone you loved missed out on the Rapture? What happens to those who are left behind? Trusted Bible teacher Dr. David Jeremiah shares the help and hope people will need as they face the End Times in this timely, easy-to-understand guidebook for believers and non-believers alike.

"Trusted Bible teacher"

l3fQf1OEAq0iri9RC.gif

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

View attachment 201707

In the 90's there was a whole series of "Christian fiction" ( :rofl: )books based on this premise called "Left Behind". It was very fire/brimstone and quite popular amongst the evangelical crowd in highschool.

Edit: a quick dive into Wikipedia shows their is quite the multimedia empire based on that series. 16 books, at least 5 movies and an audiobook. More evidence that fleecing the rubes is good business I suppose.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In the 90's there was a whole series of "Christian fiction" ( :rofl: )books based on this premise called "Left Behind". It was very fire/brimstone and quite popular amongst the evangelical crowd in highschool.

Edit: a quick dive into Wikipedia shows their is quite the multimedia empire based on that series. 16 books, at least 5 movies and an audiobook. More evidence that fleecing the rubes is good business I suppose.
You forgot the South Park episode.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Another week of people blowing one another up or shooting each other over their different imaginary flying spaghetti monsters in the sky or perceived "special" places on the ground.

Sucks to be worm food and nothing more over such things.

FSM

in this bullshit mess.
Jul 1, 2013
Always and Every Where
Another week of people blowing one another up or shooting each other over their different imaginary flying spaghetti monsters in the sky or perceived "special" places on the ground.

Sucks to be worm food and nothing more over such things.
Abrahamic religion is a mess. If it were up to Me, these folks would smoke some weed and chill the fuck out.