Quantcast

Explaining Religious Psychosis

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Whether you believe in accountability or a moral imperative, isn't it better to treat others with respect and not mock beliefs? Even from the comfort of a keyboard.

Just sayin'.
Perhaps if we find God we'll be as fortunate as this guy and blow up our dog over the delusion?

A Washington father of one who blew up the family dog because he believed it was possessed by the devil will not be charged with animal cruelty because, according to authorities, the dog didn't suffer.

Skamania County deputies arrived at the Sevenson home of Christopher W. Dillingham early Sunday morning following multiple reports of a loud explosion.

Dog parts were found strewn across the 45-year-old's yard.

Deputies say Dillingham, a fireworks stand owner with a lengthy criminal record, blew up a homemade explosive device attached to Cabella's neck because he believed the yellow lab was evil.

Dillingham said his ex-girlfriend, who had given him the dog after her cousin could no longer care for it, "put the devil in it."

He was also in the process of preparing for a nuclear "rapture" and had removed all the metal objects from his home because they were inhabited by "the souls of demons."

Dillingham was ultimately booked on charges of reckless endangerment and possession of an explosive device, but not on animal cruelty charges.

Undersheriff Dave Cox explained that a cruelty charge requires proof of animal suffering, which was absent in this case, because the dog's death "was instantaneous."

Skamania County Prosecutor Adam Kick told KPTV it was possible animal cruelty charges will be added later "if the law allows."

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
How can man, a finite being with obvious limited capabilities, attempt to explain "god", an infinite being ? But that's another rant...
THIS!!! My main arguement with Systematic Theology and the folks I used to hang with that had (in their minds) God/Bible/Jesus all figured out. You'd never find a Jewish theologian make such arrogant claims..........

Back to our regularly scheduled discussion................

FSM

in this bullshit mess.
Jul 1, 2013
Always and Every Where
THIS!!! My main arguement with Systematic Theology and the folks I used to hang with that had (in their minds) God/Bible/Jesus all figured out. You'd never find a Jewish theologian make such arrogant claims..........

It's been a while since I've read the New Testament, but I seem to recall the Jews thinking they had Jesus pretty much nailed. Theologically speaking.

YetiLuv

Chimp
Aug 4, 2013
Amherst, NH

I could not agree more. There has always been and still are smallish groups of christians connected by a thread since the first century AD--these folks have always stood outside of the 'organized church' in whatever form existed at the time(s). The differences in belief and conduct has always been significantly different than the bulk of professing christianity. For all of the reasons that folks have brought up and more, many professing christians give the worse 'press'. That is just the way it is. Pick any group of people of any kind and you'll find the same sort of thing....humans being what we are. Personally, I left organized christianity nearly 40 years ago--but my faith lies in my Lord and the experiences that I've had knowing him that have given me a 'sureness' of many things. Could I be delusional? Of course I have to admit that this is possible. However, believe me when I say that I've seen and experienced remarkable things that can't easily be explained away. I have no fixed creed or group follow pressure whatsoever that influences me. Only my remarkable personal experiences that have confirmed God. I could tell stories of actual events that just might curl hair. There are very many folks that can say the same. Like so many others of like experience, you'd have a hard time putting us in a mold.

YetiLuv

Chimp
Aug 4, 2013
Amherst, NH
Cool! Thank you, but 'cause I'm a little slow and you are obviously very intelligent, could you explain exactly how you come to that conclusion. Inquiring minds and all. Man, do I enjoy this.
Thanks again.
:-)
I normally like arguing with religious people. A lot off times they can actually make a case for themselves.
You however, are a complete idiot.
I think you might even be the dumbest person on the entire internet...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just as there is autistic spectrum disorders, similarly there are religious spectrum disorders. Your cult might be benign, but it's still a cult.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
eager to await the results of letting ~billion muzzies riding their ramadan high know about this

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Heard this on the radio last night. For me, this is the money quote: "Patients report that what they experienced felt more real than reality — so intense that it's often described as life-altering.".

It's why I'm no longer a religious person. I saw and experienced all kinds of sh1t that in some corner of my mind still feels real even though I empirically know it's not. Any persons experience with "god", or dead relatives, or what have you is no more real than any of the things I "saw" or experienced.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
As a side note, I know I’ve expressed this a few times, but it really does trouble me that it seems that Christianity is perceived as exclusively revolving around where one goes when they die. It’s not just perceived that way by those outside the faith, but also by a HUGE swath of those inside the faith. Obviously I don’t believe that, but I’ve beat that decomposing horse so much on here I’ll spare you all the rant……

Andyman, Andyman to the white courtesy phone........
1. This is always been a sticking point for me. This idea that whatever you do “for God” is automatically going to be a “success”. Life wasn’t easy for those first followers of Jesus, why do we think it should be any different? My favorite author Rob Bell wrote a great book on the relationship between suffering and creativity and following Jesus…Interview with Rob about suffering.........

2. This bit me on the a$$ years ago, I felt that as a "good Christian" I shoudl automatically say yes when asked to do something around the church. Interestingly enough, at one point Jesus says “no” to a village that wants him to stay and keep healing folks. I was asked not to preach that again after I did a teaching on that one Sunday morning for a sermon I did several years ago.

3. I know this is a dead horse I’ve brought up multiple times, but it’s not hard to imagine that a “mega church” with all it’s overhead spending millions of $’s on entertainment and light show and coffee shop, ad nauseam, all the while there are people within a few mile radius that are going hungry and homeless is not what Jesus intended. You know that whole “Your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven” deal……..you know make earth like heaven……..anyway.

4. Aaaaahhhh yeah……….once I started digging seriously into the historical context of the Bible some 12 years ago…..that whole “the pastor is right” thing fell apart rather quickly for me.

5. I think the church shoots itself in the foot when it tries to put that “perfect” polished image forward, instead of a bunch of flawed humans that are doing their best to live out the teachings of Jesus and make the world more like heaven in whatever way possible. I think Wesley put it really well…. “Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.”

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
5. I think the church shoots itself in the foot when it tries to put that “perfect” polished image forward, instead of a bunch of flawed humans that are doing their best to live out the teachings of Jesus and make the world more like heaven in whatever way possible. I think Wesley put it really well…. “Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.”
So why not just drop all the boogie man bullsh1t and just live by the teachings of Jesus? He seemed like a cool dude, with some wisdom and kindness. Why throw in the "invisible man in the sky is angry at you" crap?

In other words, be good and kind to others but drop all the fairy-tales. Is that so hard to do?

Jesus isn't the problem, it's the angry, vengeful, vain and bitter "God" of Abrahamic religions that's the problem. I believe it is the single biggest problem in the world.

Belief in an invisible man has caused more suffering in human history than belief in any actual man.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
To answer my own question:

Humans are lazy and basically fvcked up. No majority in any society is going to be good to each other without threat or promise of reward. That threat/reward system is even more vital in an relatively uneducated society. (See: USA)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
So why not just drop all the boogie man bullsh1t and just live by the teachings of Jesus? He seemed like a cool dude, with some wisdom and kindness. Why throw in the "invisible man in the sky is angry at you" crap?
Because the Abrahamic religions by and large are all about power and control.
Scaring people into obedience is the easy way to go, this also works well for governments (which is what organised religion wishes it could be), you just have to look at Nixon, Bush, Obama and Blair to see this in action.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Because the Abrahamic religions by and large are all about power and control.
Scaring people into obedience is the easy way to go, this also works well for governments (which is what organised religion wishes it could be), you just have to look at Nixon, Bush, Obama and Blair to see this in action.
bible = slavery through literacy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As a side note, I know I’ve expressed this a few times, but it really does trouble me that it seems that Christianity is perceived as exclusively revolving around where one goes when they die.
Just this morning some crazy people knocked on my door trying to sell me on how I could be saved and not go to hell when I die. Holding a bible in one hand and some kind of pamphlet with "TRUTH" in the other. I was staring at the bible she was holding though.

I mean seriously, that's the number one reason people believe in that religion. It's risen out of the fear of death, and whether you recognize that or not doesn't really matter. If your god was real and you knew without a doubt there was absolutely no way (in hell, lol) you could get to heaven, no matter how much you tried, no matter how you repented, no matter what you did, would you still go to "hell", would you still go to church and all that? I would guess the majority of the churchgoers would become indifferent and concentrate on having fun in their lives, going back to the idea that the number one reason to believe and be "good" was that you'll be "saved" and go to Cloud City with Lando and all the aborted babies (but I think they are supposed to go to hell, since nothing in the bible says they are innocent).

I told her "I don't need any 'crazy stuff' today!, no thanks!".

She said "Crazy!?" in a loud voice, as if surprised. The door was closing then, but I've had longer conversations with those that were selling "crazy", maybe next time I'll do that again.

The problem with christians and many religions is they can't keep their crazy 5hit to themselves. Keep it in your building and your home. I don't want it in my house, school, or government. Of course, they are told by their pastor and book to go and "spread jebus" like a virus, which keeps them trying to interject their craziness into the lives of those of us that do not care for it. Then of course they act all butt-hurt when told to take down their nativity scenes on government property.

Last edited: