Quantcast

Explaining Religious Psychosis

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Actually god(s) are no better compared to placebo. It has been mentioned numerous times in this thread that non-religious mediation and trance are just as effective as religious delusions:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/2012/12/03/the-effectiveness-meditation-treat-array-illnesses-has-led-studies-how-meditation-can-change-the-brain/O9JnHwcTl6VgHMo7TiT4eL/story.html

Since Herbert Benson, the cardiologist and author of the groundbreaking 1975 book, The Relaxation Response, first began pioneering mind-body research forty years ago at Massachusetts General Hospital, numerous scientific studies have offered evidence for both Bray’s hopes and Fairbairn’s experience. Researchers at universities across the world have reported positive results from meditation in a wide range of ailments, including high blood pressure, stroke risk, heart disease, weight management, chronic pain, and mental health.
Another random study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1609875

A group mindfulness meditation training program can effectively reduce symptoms of anxiety and panic and can help maintain these reductions in patients with generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, or panic disorder with agoraphobia.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
‘We think that God would probably have sent healthy juvenile-sized animals that weren’t fully grown yet, so there would be plenty of room,’
in the vein of this thread, i find it fascinating when people decide when it's appropriate to engage reason & pragmatism. if you believe there was a great global flood; fine. don't then try & reverse engineer the "easier parts"

to truly do this right, shouldn't they have this on caissons w/ a hydraulic system to simulate life on the rough seas? i'm sure PETA would take issue w/ all the vomiting kittehs (go wildcats!).

and then only run this water world for 40days...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
just like it's hard to eat corn on the cob w/o any fuggin teeth (blues bros ftw), it's hard to supplicate & genuflect w/ stumps (but prostrating oneself should come naturally, so there's that...)

also, nick vujicic should change his name to matt

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
meanwhile in California: can you say power trip, how dare you not follow me

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Vacaville-pastor-accused-in-firebombing-5139068.php

Vacaville pastor and three others have been arrested on suspicion of firebombing the home of his ex-girlfriend, police said Monday.

Mark Lewis, 39, the pastor of Fellowship Baptist Church since 2000, allegedly targeted the home of his former girlfriend on Chateau Circle about 3:30 a.m. Thursday, when someone tried to throw a Molotov cocktail into the residence

The investigation turned to Lewis when police determined that a woman who lives at the home had an active restraining order against the pastor, police said.

Investigators believe Lewis is linked to several other incidents targeting the victim since Christmas, including harassing phone calls, the breaking of her car windows and another arson in which the bushes in front of her home were set ablaze.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Mark Lewis, 39, the pastor of Fellowship Baptist Church since 2000, allegedly targeted the home of his former girlfriend .................................insert crazy sh!t here......
Not surprised about the Baptist church thing........

What is odd is that the pastor had a girlfriend, and was 39. Most mainstream Baptists require a pastor be married. At that age I'd guess he is divorced........so this is well out of the "mainstream" of the typical Baptist crazy sh!t.........

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
^^^This. I finally got around to reading the much ciritsized book by Rob Bell over the holidays "Love Wins" where he goes into this whole concept of how many Christians understand God and hell to be this God with a dual personality so to speak. It was very thought provoking, I'd recommend it.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
^^^This. I finally got around to reading the much ciritsized book by Rob Bell over the holidays "Love Wins" where he goes into this whole concept of how many Christians understand God and hell to be this God with a dual personality so to speak. It was very thought provoking, I'd recommend it.
then you'd also like [the lesser known] peter hiett on this topic.
thought provoking indeed.
it cost him his ordination in the presbyterian church, which was worth whatever value one cares to assign to such a thing

sample: http://godslovewins.com/blog/peter-hiett/four-under-developed-truths-by-peter-hiett/

along w/ thislife.org and adam&drew show, he's one of my regular pod feeds

then you'd also like [the lesser known] peter hiett on this topic.
thought provoking indeed.
it cost him his ordination in the presbyterian church, which was worth whatever value one cares to assign to such a thing

sample: http://godslovewins.com/blog/peter-hiett/four-under-developed-truths-by-peter-hiett/

along w/ thislife.org and adam&drew show, he's one of my regular pod feeds
So much wasted mental effort... I wallowed through The Lost Origins of the Essay by John D'Agata, a collection of writings across the world from 2,700 B.C.E. to roughly the present. Many of the works were seriously enjoyable; the most tedious were English people wasting tremendous intellectual effort attempting to fathom their imagined god and their presumed soul's fate after death. Rationalism per se does not provide sufficient depth to describe our experience of life. There's an approximately infinite portion of the universe that we will never understand. I hold that a simple sense of wonder and awe suffices to deal with what we will never understand and that imagined deities and contorted logical systems wrapped around them detract seriously from our ability to deal with the real world in which we live.

[steps off soapbox]

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
There's an approximately infinite portion of the universe that we will never understand. I hold that a simple sense of wonder and awe suffices to deal with what we will never understand and that imagined deities and contorted logical systems wrapped around them detract seriously from our ability to deal with the real world in which we live.[steps off soapbox]
I couldn’t agree with you more. In Judaism the whole “mystery” of God/universe/life to come, etc was/is embraced, and little is pontificated along those lines. They just are. What there is an abundant amount of commentary on from that tradition is how to interact with this world and others in a manner that is meant to restore creation to a state where “everything sad becomes untrue”.

I argue this is where Christianity lost the plot (among other ways). Since the Reformation, there is a HUGE effort to analyze the minutiae of God and His attributes. My question is why? My feeling is this is basically to arm oneself so they can wade into an apologetics fight with someone of different beliefs and be able to “prove” them wrong. My problem with this is what’s the point to this world as we live right now? I argue this is a wasted effort that could be much better used to do things that actually make Heaven a reality on earth now today vs. some theoretical, ethereal understanding that may or may not be right. Obviously my assumption is there is a God described in the Hebraic Text. So assuming that is true, wouldn’t such a God be beyond understanding? Which leads back to the question of what’s the point of trying to understand a Being that cannot be understood? Why not use that effort to restore creation??

Anyway, I’m totally with you on the uselessness of said efforts………………I’d say these days it even becomes more pronounced with so many “Christians” acting outwardly in a manner that is in conflict with what their Messiah taught yet claiming to have all the answers to life.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Andyman_1970;3952806 My question is why? My feeling is this is basically to arm oneself so they can wade into an apologetics fight with someone of different beliefs and be able to “prove” them wrong. [/QUOTE said:
Simple answer, it's the duty of all those who are Saved, to spread the Gospel. And most often this is carried out in an aggressive and antagonistic manner by those who do not fully comprehend the message the are spreading. Most of the more vocal and preachy Christians have never read the Bible, the very book the espouse. Their ideas are solely disseminated from their minister leaving no room for their own interpretation.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
See also Jehovah Witnesses refusing medical treatment (blood transfusions, organ transplants, and vaccines) based on delusional beliefs.
Used to be a guy here who was a hard core born again jehovah. Phil would leave that watch tower BS everywhere and proselytized to everyone he could except me. He was convinced I was Hell Bound because of all the blood products I'd received in hospital. I was a lost cause. :rofl:

/coolstorybro

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Used to be a guy here who was a hard core born again jehovah. Phil would leave that watch tower BS everywhere and proselytized to everyone he could except me. He was convinced I was Hell Bound because of all the blood products I'd received in hospital. I was a lost cause. :rofl:

/coolstorybro
Does Hallmark make special "You're going to Hell" greeting cards for Jehovahs visiting friends in the hospital?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Growing up reverse Religious Psychosis kept a grip on me, more like Satan instead of a detached religious foundation. I grew up in Bristol Conn., a city of 60000 which at one time thrived at a pace with the rest of the Country. The people are the same still, it's the level of exclusivity having changed with Business climate(s) and restructuring.

Long ago crew near my home neighborhood felt the need to pad a Family narcotics distribution ring by spreading out into other New England States, and turning other people's live apolitical by having the community be found - forced even - to assimilate to the struggle of an already toxic corner of the City; Religious fundamentalists were finding the harassment of some quite prominent US Military War Veterans by any means - any means - valuable to other politics. Wedging themselves between the extended family of some of The Greatest Generation and the fringes of the terror set - numbers got ran, Drugs money cashed out and new 'streets' to wander.

I stood in the middle of this then 25-30 years ago, finding left by myself to try to stay straight. Now closely fifteen years ago this year of 2014 the expanding cartel had a house party spill into the street, upset the neighborhood with my Church Pastor shortly after being murdered in the Church's Chapel. Father attempted to intervene that evening returning to Rectory, a couple turns away. 1999/06/25, in BRISTOL, CONNECTICUT, US, + Father Robert Lysz

Like I said --​
Satan.

I had backed out of a hitch with the Military around this time, which was becoming non-productive due to too many issues with one scuttlebutt from the drug cartel electing to serve. Using his government time instead to align personal views as a non conformist and anti-establishment type, effectively placing others at risk.
Other family of mine had to contend with this same basic element wanting to serve during the decision for Recruiter Hitch, a constant battle with making an estimated judgment upon total strangers. He and I had to stop talking for a bit at the advisement of the DoD Police - it got that bad.

Years later and gone by, word got to me from across the Country of trouble w/ local police asking questions about suspects in a related-case - I reached out, struck up some small talk back home, and must have been thought to be needing 'protection', or perhaps offering it due the nature of what hung overhead.
I relocated, and wasted 5 years offering silent support - at times expressing strong optimism toward the whole juvenile element from being kids, instead the massive disproportionate ego I'd already accepted in return grew more and more out of control.
The last words spoken to my one-time riding partner, first-name basis for over 30 years - it's now 4 years ago. Not a word. Asking why I be brought to the outdoor party only down the road, crap lies I was given was the end of anything to do with the 'pretty boy' of the set. Two faced liar having sympathy for the Devil, long way from Hell to look that good anymore. Right next-door to Hell for any more worth.

Had one total random encounter with a crew from another part of town just a few years ago - dude always thought himself being slick as greased **** by working around these same operations from my part of town, my being able to choose words now had bragging on of all people Aaron Hernandez, the former NE Patriot, as 'close'. I just knew, KNEW, there was nothing good to come...

Religion and God are always a personal thing - seeing the loss of self in one-time familiar friends and neighbors is always a byproduct of society as a whole; the doings of 'The Bristol Boys' are simply Satan's Disciples.
It's humanity and human emotion manifesting itself - not Religion stand alone - which is the work of God. Any divine understanding to be had is the same as understanding one's neighbor.

So - I don't always carry on like this... but when I do, I carry on like this.