Quantcast

Explaining Religious Psychosis

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My wife tells me yesterday, she has a student in class that has some pretty strong autistic tendencies and receives some special education help. Apparently, this child's favorite way of expressing his frustration is a solid, out loud burst of "JESUS CHRIST". For some reason that escapes me, the districts Special Education Director thought that a reasonable solution to this would be to placard the child's desk with the words "jesus christ" crossed out in the fashion of a no smoking sign. Or a Bad Religion t-shirt :rofl:. According to my wife, it actually worked for the kid, but it took all of 24 hours for some class parent to lose their shit, on both my wife, and the school administration. Which, in this town, I kind of feel like they should have seen coming.

/coolstorybro

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My wife tells me yesterday, she has a student in class that has some pretty strong autistic tendencies and receives some special education help. Apparently, this child's favorite way of expressing his frustration is a solid, out loud burst of "JESUS CHRIST". For some reason that escapes me, the districts Special Education Director thought that a reasonable solution to this would be to placard the child's desk with the words "jesus christ" crossed out in the fashion of a no smoking sign. Or a Bad Religion t-shirt :rofl:. According to my wife, it actually worked for the kid, but it took all of 24 hours for some class parent to lose their shit, on both my wife, and the school administration. Which, in this town, I kind of feel like they should have seen coming.

/coolstorybro
Did your wife and the administration tell said parent to fuck right the fuck off?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You can tell I've been out of the south aka co springs for a while.

It took me a minute to realize why a parent would have a problem with that. I forget that people still believe that shit and get offended by the same dumb shit that the creator of the entire universe would have a problem with.....obviously.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

The lord has no idea what's going on

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that FSM's got a sick sense of humor, and when Drumpf dies I expect to find him laughing:

Waiting for a sign
Redfield spent the weekend Trump was sick praying. He prayed the president would recover. He prayed that he would emerge from the experience with a newfound appreciation for the seriousness of the threat. And he prayed that Trump would tell Americans they should listen to public health advisers before it was too late. violent resurgence. Redfield, Fauci, Birx and others felt they had limited time to persuade people to behave differently if they were going to avoid a massive wave of death.

There were few signs that weekend that Trump would have a change of heart. It had already been a battle to get him to agree to go to Walter Reed in the first place. Now, he was badgering Conley and others to let him go home early. Redfield heard Trump was insisting on being discharged and called Conley on the phone. The president can’t go home this early, Redfield advised the doctor. He was a high-risk patient, and there were no guarantees that he wouldn’t backslide or experience some complication. (Many covid-19 patients seemed to be on an upswing and then quickly deteriorated.) Trump needed to stay in the hospital until that risk had passed. Conley agreed but said the president had made up his mind and couldn’t be convinced otherwise.

If they couldn’t keep him in the hospital, the advisers hoped that Trump would at least emerge from Walter Reed a changed man. Some even began mentally preparing to finally speak their minds. It would surely be the inflection point, they all thought. There’s nothing like a near-death experience to serve as a wake-up call. It was, at the end of the day, a national security failure. The president had not been protected. If this fiasco wasn’t the turning point, what would be?

Just as the country had been watching a few days before, many people tuned in again as Trump took Marine One back to the White House’s South Lawn on Monday night. They saw him step out in a navy suit, white shirt and blue-striped tie, with a medical mask on his face. He walked along the grass before climbing the steps to the Truman Balcony.

But Trump didn’t go inside. It was a moment of political theater too good to pass up — as suffused with triumph as his trip Friday had been humbling. He turned from the center of the balcony and looked back toward Marine One and the television cameras. It was clear that he was breathing heavily from the long walk and the climb up the flight of stairs.

Redfield was watching on television from home. He was praying as Trump went up the steps. Praying that he would reach the Truman Balcony and show some humility. That he would remind people that anyone could be susceptible to the coronavirus — even the president, the first lady and their son. That he would tell them how they could protect themselves and their loved ones.

But Trump didn’t waver. Facing the cameras from the balcony, he used his right hand to unhook the mask loop from his right ear, then raised his left hand to pull the mask off his face. He was heavily made up, his face more orange tinted than in the photos from the hospital. The helicopter’s rotors were still spinning. He put the mask into his right pocket, as if he was discarding it once and for all, then raised both hands in a thumbs-up. He was still probably contagious, standing there for all the world to see. He made a military salute as the helicopter departed the South Lawn, and then strode into the White House, passing staffers on his way and failing to protect them from the virus particles emitted from his nose and mouth.

Right then, Redfield knew it was over. Trump showed in that moment that he hadn’t changed at all. The pandemic response wasn’t going to change, either.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
going back to page one, I think I ate the same blotter

that video -- FRICKING GLENN BECK APPROVED INTERNET GOLD, BTW -- says i can see God by taking LSD.

i want my money back. i saw lots of stuff (trees growing, walls breathing, pavement disecting itself, clouds turning to giant snowflakes, a frisbee going through someone), but no God. unless of course, that was Him in plain sight.

now i don't know what to believe. i guess i need the faith of a[n obviously] crazy child

why are there psychotic atheists? were they raised catholic?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
This makes me nervous.

The root of the discord lies in the fact that many Christians have embraced the worst aspects of our culture and our politics. When the Christian faith is politicized, churches become repositories not of grace but of grievances, places where tribal identities are reinforced, where fears are nurtured, and where aggression and nastiness are sacralized. The result is not only wounding the nation; it’s having a devastating impact on the Christian faith.
Moses told them this would happen. Maybe these Christians should spend more time reading the Bible?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Haley and I went don't the religion rabbit hole this am.

H: Why is school closed today
Me: Because they know kids will stay up late trick-or-treating.
H: But not everyone does?
Me: Enough do that it makes sense to take the day off. It's like Christmas and Easter holidays.
H: But not everyone celebrates those? What about Haunnaka (sp?)? But I guess it's around the same time.
Me (going too deep): Well they're both Abrahamic religions, so it's the same book and same god. They just believe different stories within it. Islam is part of it and believes a third book.
Haley: Then why do they all fight if it's the same book and same god?
Me: Lots of reasons, but I'm not getting into those with you now.
H: It's just stupid. Why do people fight for no reason?

I told her this am that I do want her to read the bible when she's old enough to understand it, so she can make her own decisions, but also to understand what other people believe in. She wants to learn about Hinduism, Buddhism, and the Greek/Roman gods now too.

Inquisitive little girl. Sucks that other girls at her school telling her that she'll go to hell because she doesn't go to church setting a precedent for her to not like people who are religious.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Me: Enough do that it makes sense to take the day off. It's like Christmas and Easter holidays.
H: But not everyone celebrates those? What about Haunnaka (sp?)? But I guess it's around the same time.
Me (going too deep): Well they're both Abrahamic religions, so it's the same book and same god. They just believe different stories within it. Islam is part of it and believes a third book.

I told her this am that I do want her to read the bible when she's old enough to understand it, so she can make her own decisions, but also to understand what other people believe in. She wants to learn about Hinduism, Buddhism, and the Greek/Roman gods now too.

Inquisitive little girl. Sucks that other girls at her school telling her that she'll go to hell because she doesn't go to church setting a precedent for her to not like people who are religious.
has she realized how stupid our entire species is as a whole yet?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Because of make believe shit. Just like Halloween.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Because of make believe shit. Just like Halloween.
She watches the cartoon "How to Train your Dragon" a lot. They reference and talk about the Nordic gods a lot, so she decided to learn about them. She figured out that the "talents" of each god was more of a way people could explain natural phenomena (see Thor and lightning). Which she then took to other religions and has been, from the point of a 9 y/o, picking apart each story.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
She watches the cartoon "How to Train your Dragon" a lot. They reference and talk about the Nordic gods a lot, so she decided to learn about them. She figured out that the "talents" of each god was more of a way people could explain natural phenomena (see Thor and lightning). Which she then took to other religions and has been, from the point of a 9 y/o, picking apart each story.
she's learning about the norse gods? there's an entire genre of heavy metal for that. don't squander this opportunity.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR