Quantcast

Explicit Lyrics in bike vids....why?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
"Clean versions" is the work of the devil..
Agreed. :evil: I don't buy them, but was saying that as obviously part of the target audience for these videos are minors, maybe they should choose different music.

If you cannot stand to hear a simple cuss.. Your life must be very complicated..
I don't have that problem, I probably need to curse less on a daily basis. :eviltongu :p

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
manimal said:
your sarcasm is ambiguous. and God was taken out of the government years ago.

JMAC - how many kids do you have? since you seem to understand their psychy so well.

the argument here is not whether swearing is right or wrong, i'm a cop and a former marine...do you think that i don't use that language when trying to get through to people who don't speak anything else? there is a time and place. the problem with saturating little ears with it is that they don't understand the discernment of when to use it. they grow up believing that it's ok for everyday conversations. it's fine for the streets but i'm trying to raise productive and respectful kids (excuse me for trying to be a responsible parent) and unfortunately, "please and thank you" don't mix with "fu#$face!"
LoL I have no kids but I am one, so even better lol. Sorry I took for someone who is totally against swearing like me dad. Who is ex US military, according to my mom he used to swear like mad. Anyways, yes I agree small children shouldn't be exposed to exsessive amounts of bad langauge. However, I have also seen kids that where raised being totally pretected from that type of stuff and it ends up being bad in the long run.
Anyways, I think you should simple turn off the crappy music and play something good. I for one nvr actaully listen to the music on bike vids becuase it is sooooooo bad.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Softy said:
So you are able to use harsh language in the appropriate manner ? Wow I'm amazed. You enforce the law with using of language not found in dictionarys or law books. How is this possible ? Who taught you , you get more respect to your authority by using bad words?

You are a hypocrite for one and a bad parent for not censoring viewing and listening content of your 4 year old.

Why don't you sue the movie makers and musicians and the producers and the publishers for influencing YOU to use bad language in everyday life. It's your descision to say " You are under arrest fu%&face" .Don't go and blame Dirty Harry next time you shoot someone either. All you goverment types are the same always trying to push your morallity on the public. Well FO , and we will consider your actions not your words , because what you say is full of $HIT. :eviltongu

Softy everything you post on this forum exposes the fact that you are just as mindless and conformist as everything you hate, just on the opposite end of the political spectrum. You criticize every kind of control, structure, and authority that allows society to function in a productive manner. Manimal's point was perfectly logical, just becasue using profanity in certain sitautions is acceptable doesnt mean his four year old should hear it, I use tons of profanity in the company of my close friends, usually in a joking manner for comic effect, but in public speach and interaction I dont because it sounds crude and unintelligent. Your first point above is maybe the stupidest thing Ive ever heard, you are trying to say that you cant enforce the law using langauge different form how the law was written? Why the hell not? The Law was written for lawyers and judges to interpret. "Get the **** on the ground and show me your hands!!" is meant to be interpreted by criminals. Somehow I dont think "Assume a prone position and place you hands in plain sight" has quite the same impact.

Also, my parents never cursed and never allowed me to listen or watch anything contianing profanity when I was young, and I still learned everything I need to know at school by 3rd or 4th grade, you wouldnt believe the mouths fo some of those little kids. I dont think it has effected me negatively in any way, I am still a courteous and respectful person with good social speeking skills. My parents influence certianly had something to do with this, so keep it up Manimal, you dont need to shelter him from everything, just provide the right example and Noah will be fine. If Noah grows up to respect you, he will respect the way you act.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Derek Westerlund used to bleep out or edit (ie; $hit = ish, etc) the curse words in his videos. I think he did that in the first few to make the videos more palatable for the "average joe" in order to build his reputation. I personally always thought it was weak because I think it interrupts the flow of the song similarly to a CD skipping from a scratch. It just doesn't feel right that way. Now that he owns the freeride video market he feels more free to make exactly the films he wants to.

I was just thinking yesterday as I watched NWD5 how cool it was that they finally let it all fly. They even have clips of Cameron Zink going big on the DJ's w/o a helmet which surprised me at first. But after a minute I realized that a lot of guys ride like that and that is an accurate portayal. The reality of the matter is these films are art and the makers of them take their chances at alienating people by portraying certain things in their films. Be it swearing, riding helmet-less, scantily clad wimens, or baaaaad home made techno (Wixom). But what it boils down to is that was their vision for the film and if you don' appreciate it, don't support the artist. Swearing has never offended me nor does most anything really that could be shown in these vids, I think most Americans have this ill-gotten idea that they should never be the slightest bit offended by anything and that if they are somehow the person doing the offending is responsible. As a nation we need to get over this bologna.

Life's tough, sometimes you have to find a work-around.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
TheInedibleHulk said:
Softy everything you post on this forum exposes the fact that you are just as mindless and conformist as everything you hate, just on the opposite end of the political spectrum. You criticize every kind of control, structure, and authority that allows society to function in a productive manner. Manimal's point was perfectly logical, just becasue using profanity in certain sitautions is acceptable doesnt mean his four year old should hear it, I use tons of profanity in the company of my close friends, usually in a joking manner for comic effect, but in public speach and interaction I dont because it sounds crude and unintelligent. Your first point above is maybe the stupidest thing Ive ever heard, you are trying to say that you cant enforce the law using langauge different form how the law was written? Why the hell not? The Law was written for lawyers and judges to interpret. "Get the **** on the ground and show me your hands!!" is meant to be interpreted by criminals. Somehow I dont think "Assume a prone position and place you hands in plain sight" has quite the same impact.

QUOTE]

Assume the position would work best for me. If an arresting officer were to use profanity in my direction he will not get peace. By not acting in a civil manner is blatent disregaurd for his own authority. He is showing what a uneducated dirtbag he really is. He is also escalating the violence in a situation. Something I have dealt with firsthand. I have put cuffs on people when they would not behave. I have tackled fugitives running through LAX. I have been detained as a suspected terrorist. So if you have any firsthand experience in these matters then I might accecpt your comment. Untill you detain and defuse violent (sometimes crimnal) persons while cursing or not , then I might think you know what you are talking about. My teachings and observations have led me to believe you are judged (IQ) by what you say. Why you have already judged me to be ......mindless. {please see Caution thread and see my challenge} The detainees are constantly looking to escape and comming off as smart, is as important if not more important than physical poweress, in the first minutes.

A law book is what holds a criminal in jail. It is the precise wording in these books that must be followed to a T or something like the OJ tradegy could happen again and again. The books don't say you may detain a F'N perp by his F'N nut sack does it. I bet you would try the shes almost 18 defense.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Softy said:
Assume the position would work best for me. If an arresting officer were to use profanity in my direction he will not get peace. By not acting in a civil manner is blatent disregaurd for his own authority. He is showing what a uneducated dirtbag he really is. He is also escalating the violence in a situation. Something I have dealt with firsthand. I have put cuffs on people when they would not behave. I have tackled fugitives running through LAX. I have been detained as a suspected terrorist. So if you have any firsthand experience in these matters then I might accecpt your comment. Untill you detain and defuse violent (sometimes crimnal) persons while cursing or not , then I might think you know what you are talking about. My teachings and observations have led me to believe you are judged (IQ) by what you say. Why you have already judged me to be ......mindless. {please see Caution thread and see my challenge} The detainees are constantly looking to escape and comming off as smart, is as important if not more important than physical poweress, in the first minutes.

A law book is what holds a criminal in jail. It is the precise wording in these books that must be followed to a T or something like the OJ tradegy could happen again and again. The books don't say you may detain a F'N perp by his F'N nut sack does it. I bet you would try the shes almost 18 defense.
You make solid point that in certian situations using calm language could help defuse a volatile situation. However, when force is called for force should be used, whether it is verbal or physical. Stong language can be used to show that you are not messing around. I am not in law enforcement or security, but I did once have to chase down a couple of guys who stole bikes form my shop, and I did use strong language to uh... recommend that they maintain their current position. :D The law book is what keeps a person in jail, and law enforcement officers do have certian obligations upon arrest as far as language (miranda rights), but the law book also says nothing about what an officer may or may not say previous to arrest short of sexual harrasment or racial remarks.

What do you do? It sounds like you are in an interesting line of work that allows you to cuff and tackle people. And no I would no try the she's almost 18 defense, for one I'm 19 so sleeping with a 17 year old would be perfectly legal, and secondly I'm a nice guy.

Based on your writing you seem like an intelligent guy (or girl) I'm just not sure your logic always works. Perhaps I was a tad hasty in accusing you of being mindless, but I had just read your posts in Jeff's philosophy thread and found them to be equally nonsensical.

EDIT: I agree with everything you have to say in the "Caution" thread completely, and I am very sad to hear about both your and your girlfriends injurys. Is there nay hope for improvement in either of your situations? As soon as my current fullface gets banged up I will be switching to a moto helmet, the speeds and courses of DH have come to require it.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
TheInedibleHulk said:
You make solid point that in certian situations using calm language could help defuse a volatile situation. However, when force is called for force should be used, whether it is verbal or physical. Stong language can be used to show that you are not messing around. I am not in law enforcement or security, but I did once have to chase down a couple of guys who stole bikes form my shop, and I did use strong language to uh... recommend that they maintain their current position. :D The law book is what keeps a person in jail, and law enforcement officers do have certian obligations upon arrest as far as language (miranda rights), but the law book also says nothing about what an officer may or may not say previous to arrest short of sexual harrasment or racial remarks.

What do you do? It sounds like you are in an interesting line of work that allows you to cuff and tackle people. And no I would no try the she's almost 18 defense, for one I'm 19 so sleeping with a 17 year old would be perfectly legal, and secondly I'm a nice guy.

Based on your writing you seem like an intelligent guy (or girl) I'm just not sure your logic always works. Perhaps I was a tad hasty in accusing you of being mindless, but I had just read your posts in Jeff's philosophy thread and found them to be equally nonsensical.

EDIT: I agree with everything you have to say in the "Caution" thread completely, and I am very sad to hear about both your and your girlfriends injurys. Is there nay hope for improvement in either of your situations? As soon as my current fullface gets banged up I will be switching to a moto helmet, the speeds and courses of DH have come to require it.
By using proper english and expressing your displeasure in the proper assertive tone of voice shows that you are a master of the situation . Someone would interpet the use of foul languge as a slip of control. If you can't control what you say then you are less like to control someone else.

Jeff had received no help what so ever when I suggestted an approach to his paper. An open ended question like that could have limitless answers. It was a loaded question , the only right answer is to know what the professor wants to hear. For sure my response would differ from any others he would receive.

That job is no longer a option in my condition. All senses must be sharp. It is no place for a scatter brain that can't stay focused. Nor could you show any kind of physical ills.

My ex-GF luckily had the accident after we broke up ( she left me). Or I would still be with her and her problems. Just seeing her now 7 years later still F'ed like when she woke up from the coma, proves that some injuries just don't heal. When its broke, its broke for good. My small problems have not improved but they have not gotten worse. So I am forced to live less than prefect probally forever. That is my point there people be cautitious with your head.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Softy said:
By using proper english and expressing your displeasure in the proper assertive tone of voice shows that you are a master of the situation . Someone would interpet the use of foul languge as a slip of control. If you can't control what you say then you are less like to control someone else.

Jeff had received no help what so ever when I suggestted an approach to his paper. An open ended question like that could have limitless answers. It was a loaded question , the only right answer is to know what the professor wants to hear. For sure my response would differ from any others he would receive.

On the first point... well... I see your point. Ive often expressed the same feeling when I hear parents cussing at their kids. My dad always did a great job at controlling his tone, so when he did raised his voice you knew he meant business without ever muttering a profanity or even so much as a "get your butt over here." If dad said something loud, you did it, no question.

As for Jeff's paper the professor was certainly looking for an epistomological discussion on the nature of reality and knowledge, not a discussion of censorship. If he wrote a paper on what you suggested, the prof would most likely likely fail him.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Softy said:
TheInedibleHulk said:

QUOTE]

so what you're actually saying is that you've never really dealt with uneducated, southeast criminals. you have to speak a language that is understood. i have tried the "please keep you hands where i can see them, sir and don't make any sudden movements or i will be forced to take physical action". i'm sorry, but you've never been in a serious situation if you believe that the previous phrase will work when you've got a possibly armed drug dealer reaching for his waistband. i wish i lived in your world where every criminal was coherent, not on drugs and had at least a 6th grade education.

i simply believe that my 4 yr old shouldn't have to deal with and use the type of language that i, an adult, has to use on occasion. oh yes, he'll learn it on his own, just like i did. but as hulk stated, i hope his respect for his parents will guide him to make the right decisions.

so anyway, what the heck does your misguided view of the law have to do with lyrics in bike vids?

jbp - :D that's a political statement from the political forum where all respect went out the window ages ago ;)

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
manimal said:
so what you're actually saying is that you've never really dealt with uneducated, southeast criminals. you have to speak a language that is understood. i have tried the "please keep you hands where i can see them, sir and don't make any sudden movements or i will be forced to take physical action". i'm sorry, but you've never been in a serious situation if you believe that the previous phrase will work when you've got a possibly armed drug dealer reaching for his waistband. i wish i lived in your world where every criminal was coherent, not on drugs and had at least a 6th grade education.

i simply believe that my 4 yr old shouldn't have to deal with and use the type of language that i, an adult, has to use on occasion. oh yes, he'll learn it on his own, just like i did. but as hulk stated, i hope his respect for his parents will guide him to make the right decisions.

so anyway, what the heck does your misguided view of the law have to do with lyrics in bike vids?

So a non-coherent perp is going to hear cursing and mellow down ? So uneducated people only respond to cursing?You are insane.

Foul language is common in todays music. Todays music is in todays vids, to keep it fresh. These vids are not sold based on the music ,but the content.
If an artist wants to use profanitiy he is able to. If you want to sensor your child , go ahead. If you want to blame a artist for making his art as he sees fit , get lost.

You are a hypocrite in saying you must talk down to the lowlly perps so they understand. The maker of the movie also thought of ,speaking down to his lowlly audience YOU. YOU hear those words YOU use each day. I don't hear the same as you because when you speak that way to me I find it insulting , or tune it out like in the vids.

Clean up your act, you are in public service.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
dan-o said:
Given the target audience of these vids the soundtracks make sense (I agree most of the music sucks). 4yo's can't buy bikes. .
:stupid: Target audience is probably 16 - 25 year old males... and we all know that in that age range guys think it's cool to swear.

the Inbred said:
the only instance where i have thought, "damn, that was badass," was when someone posted a clip that had the beginning of baw-wit-da-baw (Kid Rock song). when KR goes from "kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid, kid rock" to that heavy guitar riff. oh man, that so perfect for the beginning of a video.
Don’t know if it is still up…
http://www.bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4874

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Slugman said:
:stupid: Target audience is probably 16 - 25 year old males... and we all know that in that age range guys think it's cool to swear.

Don’t know if it is still up…
http://www.bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4874
mhm i dunno about the US but here its not cool its just there nobody in that age group thinks about it "among their peers" :D
but i feel most people also just know when to swear and when not.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Softy said:
manimal said:
So a non-coherent perp is going to hear cursing and mellow down ? So uneducated people only respond to cursing?You are insane.

Foul language is common in todays music. Todays music is in todays vids, to keep it fresh. These vids are not sold based on the music ,but the content.
If an artist wants to use profanitiy he is able to. If you want to sensor your child , go ahead. If you want to blame a artist for making his art as he sees fit , get lost.

You are a hypocrite in saying you must talk down to the lowlly perps so they understand. The maker of the movie also thought of ,speaking down to his lowlly audience YOU. YOU hear those words YOU use each day. I don't hear the same as you because when you speak that way to me I find it insulting , or tune it out like in the vids.

Clean up your act, you are in public service.
dude, do you just read every other word or are you simply unable to comprehend the written word? did you understand the situation i was referring to? i don't "talk down" to the average "perp". the situation i was referring to was something that you've probably never encountered. you think that talking nice and educated will make a difference when a known thug is reaching for the gun in his waistband? have you ever studied the psychology of those involved in high risk situations? i'm sorry to break it to you, mr. security guard, but us real cops have to get through to people in a hurry and sometimes, a boldy projected explative is what enters their ear and helps them understand that they are not in control of the situation. if i'm a hypocrite for doing what i have to do to keep myself and others from getting shot then so be it.

now back to the POINT. most everyone, other than yourself, has offered an educated reason as to why the music is the way it is in bike vids, and it makes sense. i wasn't putting the vids or their makers down, just posing a simple integrity check to the industry. is language going to make me not watch or buy the vid? no, of course not, but i will continue to mute those areas out.
you attack my profession and my conviction in trying to raise educated and respectful kids because you feel that my simple question threatens your first amendment rights.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I have videos with explicit lyrics in the soundtracks but I don't have kids.

If and when I do have kids they will not watch those movies.

Yes, they will learn the words eventually. But Just allowing them to view material with that stuff in it is tacit approval of that behavior. If I don't curse in front of them, and don't allow them to see that type of content then they will be clear on my boundaries in regard to the subject.

Thats how I was taught and it works.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Softy, what prompted your return to mtb boards? I see you're as f*cked up and crazy as always. Please go back into hiding. Do some more drugs, lose another contracting job, fall off a cliff and die, whatever it takes to have you STFU.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I think Anthrax nailed it on this subject in the song Startin up a posse. "You've got the choice. Don't buy it don't read it, and don't say your opinions right" I don't have kids, if I did I wouldn't let them see those bike vids until they are old enough.

It's not like cursing, in itself, adds anything to a video. It adds to an attitude and vibe you are trying to express sometimes. Personally i found it lame when they censored songs in the earlier NWD films. If you want a particular segment to say "f**k it!" watering it down just won't do.

These flicks are geared towards an adult audience and there is no way of getting around that.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Damn True said:
Softy, Do you work for the TSA or something?
Softy is a psychotic, drugged out contractor who tries to make himself seem really important. He's about one postmarked letter shy of being a stalker, so be careful of befriending him.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Its one thing having dad blurt out "oh *******!" and then imediately follow that with a "we REALLY shouldnt talk that way". It was an accident, accidents happen. Its different to put a video on that has that language on it.... Afterall, you, and your kid, know there is swearin...Aint no accident, your indicating through action that it aint that bad to do. I agree with ALL the actual parents out there. Its just not right to have that crap on stuff your kids are going to watch. Its too bad that all the weekenders have turned ridin into such an "X-sport". Used to be that pushing yourself hard everyday was enough ta make ya feel "rad". Now we is tryin to impress by sounding unlearned. :think:

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
I could just imagine how well it would work for a cop to talk to a punk like the punk could give a damn or understand basic human emotions.....Thats rich....

This aint no fairy tale world spongey!

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
NastySid said:
"Clean versions" is the work of the devil..

In a country where you can get sued just becouse it's tuesday you better have the bloody sticker even if they just say "fork" becouse some fool will allways be offended..

If you cannot stand to hear a simple cuss.. Your life must be very complicated..

Besides.. curses are just as much english as every other word :P
funny stuff... reminds me of a little situiation that sprung up last week... a workmate of mine (male) was called by another work collegue (female):

him: 'good afternoon, this is nick'
her:'WHAT ???$% you said svck my dick!, how dare you'
him:'no i didn t'

blah blah blah...

crazy.. she absolutely peaked out and told the boss... mindless fool...

i like your euro take on the deal sid... but i see manimals point also

parts

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
No offense to anyone here, but children are way too sheltered. Dodge ball is banned, playgrounds have friggin rubber chips to replace sand and the giant monkey bars are now 3ft high plastic animals and they aren't allowed to even hear swear words. It makes me weep inside when i think of these kids being tomorrow's world leaders.

WAAAA The president of China called me a moron. Mommy told me I was special.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I don’t thin manimals point is to shelter his kid. I think he wants to keep him from learning these words at his age HE IS FOUR. Come on I don’t think it’s appropriate to swear much at all much less for a 4 year old to do it. This has nothing to do with being overprotective kids shouldn’t be going into kindergarten with every other word out of there mouth to be something profane.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
No not saying manimal is, i was just thinking out loud, about things in general. Also, at 4, he isn't going to be paying attention to the lyrics anyways. He is gong to be mesmerized by the pretty moving pictures.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
lots of kids today are too sheltered. and spoiled.

banning dodge ball? no ****? that game is a staple of growing up. getting knocked in the head is like a right of passage. i still remembered getting beaned in the knoggin by "Happy." oh man. i tore him up the following round, though. 8th grader thought he was hot **** till a 6th grader took him out.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
the Inbred said:
lots of kids today are too sheltered. and spoiled.

banning dodge ball? no ****? that game is a staple of growing up. getting knocked in the head is like a right of passage. i still remembered getting beaned in the knoggin by "Happy." oh man. i tore him up the following round, though. 8th grader thought he was hot **** till a 6th grader took him out.
Language and dodge ball are 2 TOTALY difrent things

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
TheMontashu said:
Language and dodge ball are 2 TOTALY difrent things
I disagree. Both are parts of everyday life, pehaps dodgeball a little less then the english language. I don't see any point in coddling children/hiding the truth from them.

It is much simpler to let them hear it and say NO, then to try and hide things from them. Kids aren't stupid man, they know when something is up.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Transcend said:
I disagree. Both are parts of everyday life, pehaps dodgeball a little less then the english language. I don't see any point in coddling children/hiding the truth from them.

It is much simpler to let them hear it and say NO, then to try and hide things from them. Kids aren't stupid man, they know when something is up.
Kids will say it anyways if they know even if you tell them not to. They jest will not say it in front of parents.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I think you need to both prevent your kids from hearing excessive amounts of foul language, and teach them otherwise when they do.

Although this is getting into personal/religious values, I think that is acomplished best by explaining why not to say certain words, or if you don't have anything against profanity, by explaining that it offends some people, so you at least shouldn't say it around those people.

Children are naturally inquisitive, and they therefore, assuming my childhood was pretty typical, don't believe the stove is hot until they touch it. They will be more able to abstain from a certain behavior if they know why they shouldn't do it; that is not to say explaining is foolproof, just that it may help.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tully said:
I think you need to both prevent your kids from hearing excessive amounts of foul language, and teach them otherwise when they do.

Although this is getting into personal/religious values, I think that is acomplished best by explaining why not to say certain words, or if you don't have anything against profanity, by explaining that it offends some people, so you at least shouldn't say it around those people.

Children are naturally inquisitive, and they therefore, assuming my childhood was pretty typical, don't believe the stove is hot until they touch it. They will be more able to abstain from a certain behavior if they know why they shouldn't do it; that is not to say explaining is foolproof, just that it may help.
I completely agree, like I said, kids aren't stupid. I don't think it is due to values even, just common sense. I mean, I wouldn't take my 4 year old to an NWA concert, but if he hears one of 2 bad words in a song on a bike video..I wouldn't exactly be concerned.

I think educating him that others may be offended by it is much more important then sheltering him from it.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Transcend said:
I completely agree, like I said, kids aren't stupid. I don't think it is due to values even, just common sense. I mean, I wouldn't take my 4 year old to an NWA concert, but if he hears one of 2 bad words in a song on a bike video..I wouldn't exactly be concerned.

I think educating him that others may be offended by it is much more important then sheltering him from it.
I think Manimal is speaking about more than jest a few bad words.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I do think there is a big difference between sheltering and preventing excessive exposure:

SHELTERING (an exaggeration, to make the point):

"Daddy, did he just say $*^#?"
"No. You didn't hear that, nor will you ever. There is no such word."

A BETTER APPROACH?:

"Daddy, did he just say $*^#?"
"Yes, he did, but that doesn't mean it's okay, becuase..."
"Daddy, he said it again!"
"That's bad, so let's watch something else (or mute it and turn on other music, as it may be)."

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Transcend said:
Definitely. I, personally, would rather not hear profanity, so whether someone uses it is his own concern, but he needn't subject me to it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tully said:
Definitely. I, personally, would rather not hear profanity, so whether someone uses it is his own concern, but he needn't subject me to it.
Exactly - as anyone who knows me knows, i tend to swear like a sailor around friends and my home. No one really cares, and half the time i do it without even noticing.

But when out in public, i make sure i keep it toned down. It just isn't appropriate, as not everyone feels the way I do about it. (Personally, I could care less, it is just a word.)

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
lovebunny said:
i think nwd4s explicit content was for the tits in the bc/dc section. but i think that soundtrack rocked exept for that skills song for wade simmons. didnt flow w/ the riding at all. i dont think they need explicit lyrics. theres plenty of good songs out there that dont have cursing in em

Tits make it all worth while :thumb:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
sorry, but that cracked me up. you could always mute the tube & put on a CD. I agree most of the music in vids does suck & really shouldnt have any lyrics.