Quantcast

exporting PowerPoint into a design program (eg. Quark)?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I got a huge project in PowerPoint and have been authorized to move the entire project into a design program and given a budget to do so.

Is there an extension/plug-in for Quark, In-design, or other mainstream/quality program on the market? Or perhaps a design/layout app that already includes this functionality?

Mac or PC

TIA!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I forget, can I manipulate PDFs in Quark?

I'm stuck in Quark 4 cuz I need an extension to automate DB imports :rolleyes: I'll use a newer quark if PDFs can be modified.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
LordOpie said:
I forget, can I manipulate PDFs in Quark?

I'm stuck in Quark 4 cuz I need an extension to automate DB imports :rolleyes: I'll use a newer quark if PDFs can be modified.
You can't manipulate PDF's in Xpress, but you can place them in newer versions and print from there.

I don't use PP very much, but I think you can export the slides and then place those images in Xpress and print as well.

If ya need help, that's what I do, so let me know.

flydi007

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
asleep at my desk
just a warning-if you are planning on having this project printed at a commercial printer, you may want to save the PDF's as TIFFS. Having worked at an offset lithography printer, I dealt with a lot of post script problems with PDFs placed in quark, so just a warning. If you are just going to print on an office printer a PDF should be fine.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
flydi007 said:
just a warning-if you are planning on having this project printed at a commercial printer, you may want to save the PDF's as TIFFS. Having worked at an offset lithography printer, I dealt with a lot of post script problems with PDFs placed in quark, so just a warning. If you are just going to print on an office printer a PDF should be fine.
Saved at least at 300 DPI.

:thumb:

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
if you want, pm me and i'll give you my contact info.

We can work on a solution tomorrow when i am at work (prepress dept at a printer). i cant recall exactly but i have "printed to file" from within PP thus generating a PS file. you can then open that file in Illustrator – which remains vector format and save-as an .eps.

or you could just open that PS file in photoshop. photoshop will ask you what mode (greyscale, RGB or CMYK) and what DPI depending on what you are going to do with it.

I cant remember exactly but i know that it is possible and it will be editable and it will print fine. you could email me a test file and i'll figure out a way and give you instructions.

joel

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks guys!

The key part here is that I NEED to be able to edit the content in the layout (QXP, InD) program. So a graphics format won't really help.

Anyone use openoffice.org ? Someone said it might be able to import PP files and export them as something useful. Thought I'd see if any of y'all have used OO before I try it.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
LordOpie said:
Thanks guys!

The key part here is that I NEED to be able to edit the content in the layout (QXP, InD) program. So a graphics format won't really help.

Anyone use openoffice.org ? Someone said it might be able to import PP files and export them as something useful. Thought I'd see if any of y'all have used OO before I try it.
i have no idea what the end result you are looking for is otherwise i could, maybe, offer other suggestions but trying to edit pp files from within QXD will not work.

joel

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Jimmy_Pop said:
or you could just open that PS file in photoshop. photoshop will ask you what mode (greyscale, RGB or CMYK) and what DPI depending on what you are going to do with it.
When you rasterize in Photoshop, your type (especially small point sizes) get's fuzzy. Fair warning.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
most people would never be able to tell the difference between 1) vector type or 2) 400 dpi rastered type when RIP'd and printed on paper - even small type.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Jimmy_Pop said:
most people would never be able to tell the difference between 1) vector type or 2) 400 dpi rastered type when RIP'd and printed on paper - even small type.

Most people go to Kinkos as well.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
pixelninja said:
Define "huge".
about 300 pages.

Yes, I know, "why did your client build it originally in any MS software?!" I don't know *shrugs*

but I need to be able to edit it as data changes over the next few years and absolutely refuse to maintain the project in any MS application.

PS: all y'all telling me about raster and stuff, thanks, but I've been doing this crap since before PageMaker was in beta... which I have a copy of somewhere :think: yes, I'm old :blah:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
LordOpie said:
but I need to be able to edit it as data changes over the next few years and absolutely refuse to maintain the project in any MS application.
Good call on the anti MS stance. I recommend using Adobe Indesign as that is the present and future's best page layout program. I'm still an Xpress guy, but almost everyone I know around the country has made the switch. You may want to think about recreating the info "correctly" (new graphics and OCR the type) since it will be around awhile.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
That is big. But I gotta tell you, your best bet will probably be to re-create it. Either you can spend your time beating your head against a wall trying to find a solution to convert it...then probably end up having to go in and tweek everything anyway, or you can spend that time recreating it and doing it right.

You should be able to copy/paste all the graphics from the ppt file, but you'll need to reset the type.

Edit: Hopefully someone can prove me wrong and provide you with a quicker solution

flydi007

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
asleep at my desk
LordOpie said:
about 300 pages.

Yes, I know, "why did your client build it originally in any MS software?!" I don't know *shrugs*

PS: all y'all telling me about raster and stuff, thanks, but I've been doing this crap since before PageMaker was in beta... which I have a copy of somewhere :think: yes, I'm old :blah:
seriously there should be some sort of block that does not permit joe average to do page layouts in any MS software-all it does is make more work for everyone else. :nope: hopefully you can find some way to convert it so you don't have to recreate it

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
well, I'm not going to re-create jack... I'll hire someone to do that :D

But I'd rather find an automated way and save my company several grand... then I'll ask for a raise :evil:

yeah, I know, extremely unlikely on both automation and the raise.

Doesn't Golgi have to work with external files?

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
email me one of the pages and i'll see what i can do that is easy, keeping in mine that there is 300 pages.

joel_cmyk@hotmail.com

but understand, there is no way to convert PP into a native quark doc or indd doc. you're gonna have to either keep it in PP or convert them into a graphic application.

My thought was that if you can convert the files to illustrator and you use indd as the layout program, keeping everything Adobe it may prove to be the best format for future use: printing, web, multimedia or whatever you wanted.

using an obsure program kinda keeps you in the same spot you are in now.

joel

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Jimmy_Pop said:
email me one of the pages and i'll see what i can do that is easy, keeping in mine that there is 300 pages.

joel_cmyk@hotmail.com

but understand, there is no way to convert PP into a native quark doc or indd doc. you're gonna have to either keep it in PP or convert them into a graphic application.

My thought was that if you can convert the files to illustrator and you use indd as the layout program, keeping everything Adobe it may prove to be the best format for future use: printing, web, multimedia or whatever you wanted.

using an obsure program kinda keeps you in the same spot you are in now.

joel
Are you saying that Indd can modify Illustrator files?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Oh sorry... how big is the project? Can you get away with exporting the PP as an image like a PDF or does it have to be laid out in a QXD?

Bummer, just glad I'm not in your shoes (thought I have been in them before), sounds like a hassle.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
LordOpie said:
Thanks guys!

I've used openoffice.org on my mac; wasn't a big fan. It was a basically free Office 6. If you already have office, don't bother.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
LordOpie said:
Thanks guys!

I think your fooked man, your going to have lay it out from scratch. Hope you can get your hands on the images. Look on the bright side... at least you can cut and paste the text :D

You are charging yoru client for this boolsheet arent you?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
golgiaparatus said:
You are charging yoru client for this boolsheet arent you?
but of course :D

Jimmy_Pop said:
can you post up a jpg of what a typical pp page looks like?
Thanks man! I don't have the actual PP files yet. I'm also not sure about any non-disclosure agreements that my boss might have verbally agreed to, so I can't post or email them to anyone.

DHanamal said:
Here's a software program for Mac:

http://www.extensis.com/en/products/product_features.jsp;jsessionid=RJLKPQIQNZRJBLAQAAUQ0FQ?id=1045

QX-Import (Mac OS 8, 9, and Classic only)
Import Excel or PowerPoint files directly into your QuarkXPress document without having to recreate charts or slides from scratch.

Plus it's got a bunch of other useful tools for Quark users.
I love you.

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
You can save to PDF and edit the stuff in Illustrator which can then be placed in Quark.

That's the best resolution maintaining solution I have found.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!