Quantcast

Expressions you hate and wish people would stop using?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jet said:
'Hey Tom, come here for a minute.' I always hate hearing that. Leave me alone.
Excellent! :devil:

*beeeeep*
"Hi, this is Carl, leave a message or leave me alone, either way, I don't care. Unless this is mom, in which case, Happy Mother's Day." ~ ATHF

loco said:
Why the "F" would you name a pet "so to speak". Dumbass.

Crazy Sweeper said:
I hate when people say "heighth" instead of "height."
I used to as well, then I looked it up and while it's archaic, it is acceptable.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
When I used to live in Chicago, I used to get annoyed when someone would ask,"Are you coming with ?"

I am coming with... what do I need to bring something, did I forget something, oh you are just using a dangling participle.

I also would cringe when someone uses the term "broad" .
here is a phrase you might hear uttered on the Southside.
"I jist aked dis broad to bring me 2 beers an' a sangwich"

way to go Sox Fan.....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
hella

my girlfriend says it like "Are you coming with?" is that a Chicago thing? her family is from Chicago.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Mine is the mood killing, "It must be nice."

It should be illegal to use that term.
Instead it should be replaced with,
"I am the biggest hater on the planet, and since something nice happened to you instead of me, I am going to hang my head in despair while gently kicking at rocks, and muttering, It must be nice."

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
the Inbred said:
hella

my girlfriend says it like "Are you coming with?" is that a Chicago thing? her family is from Chicago.
Yeah its a Chicago thing ....
Most Chicogoans will phrase it that way.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
MMike said:
One I wish people would use more is: "You got served"...

Because there's just no comeback for serving. Once you've been served....well... you may as well just go home.
I'm in agreeance.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
The "like" thing bothers me too....got ripped to shreds for it in high school by my spanish teacher so it broke the habit. To many um's also bugs me.

Probably one of my biggest though is pronouncing silent s's on the end of words such as Illinois. And even more annoying is when people who live in the state can't even f'in pronounce it correctly :nope:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i dislike it when people misuse (or misspell) "per se" and "et al". if you don't know what they actually are used for DON'T USE THEM TO TRY TO LOOK SMRT

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I hate when people say, "that's so gay," "jeezum crow," jeeze Louise," any of that crap to avoid saying what they really want to say. Also, people who speak in AOL language using LOL in everyday conversations.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
OOhhhh! I thought of another one.

"xxxxx-aholic"....shop-aholic....choco-holic......

Isn't that almost offensive, downplaying the seriousness of a disease? "I have chocolate cancer"

maybe not.... but it's still annoying...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
napoleon dynamite quotes are annoying, too. thankfully they are disappearing from the collective memory at a rapid pace

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
"peeps".... I hate "peeps"...

and NOT the faux marshmellow easter treat.... well I hate them too... just awful. I do like circus peanuts though.....

So to recap, I hate the expression "peeps" AND I hate the marshmellow ones too...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
MMike said:
Woman here says "something elks" instead of "something else"

She's from newfoundland.....
That could be mistaken for Pennsylvania.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
MMike said:
OOhhhh! I thought of another one.

"xxxxx-aholic"....shop-aholic....choco-holic......

Isn't that almost offensive, downplaying the seriousness of a disease? "I have chocolate cancer"

maybe not.... but it's still annoying...
I hate it when people refer to alcoholism as a disease... Someone making poor choices by swilling too much booze is not a disease.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
blt2ride said:
There is one grammar mistake that drives me CRAZY! It's when people think it's wrong to use/say ME. For example: "Why don't you come to dinner with I." It's just wrong and it drives me up the wall. Not to mention that these grammar slackers try to correct you for using ME!
I agree.