Quantcast

EXT shocks

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Not too much chatter on here about these guys that I've found. Expensive sure, but so are Push and Ohlins. Now with a US presence I expect to see more of these around sooner or later. Any 1st hand experience with their shocks?

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
The one they do for Geometron has a couple of interesting features.

The hydraulic bottom out from their DH shock and spherical bearings in the eyelets.

I am curious if the spherical eyelet bearings are noticeable.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So,
In theory These
Blow away the others
"disclaimer havent ridden it"
Large body (uses 1.5" spring) comparitively small shaft.
Huge high speed piston.
Opens up more possible shim stack configurations.
Basically the opposite of the baby dick dvo shocks.

Also a push shock is just an old rc2 with an extra high speed circiut, nothing to see there, i mean its better than a dhx2, but so is a dirty used 2014 rc2.

The dhx2 is marketing.
The twin tube originator ohlins puts the rebound adjustment on/in the shaft and uses a valved main piston for a reason on dirt shocks. The dhx2 is more about offering a single tune (which is more convienient for the supply chain) then delivering the best performing shock possible, so you end up with a compromised compression circiut in exchange for a HSC adjuster so that a 250lb spring and a 550lb spring work on the same shock without any shim changes. Then your told how bitchn it is..... So you dont wanna hear any of this....

The Ext will be miles ahead.....
4 way adjustables with poppets and their degressive dampening should stay on road race bikes where they belong.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
If I could still get a Push'd Fox shock I'd go that route, but I cannot and the 11.5 ¾ isn't the route I'd like.
Ohlins are actually looking like a bargain these days.

pe6u

Chimp
Apr 19, 2013
I got the first generation Storia two years ago (without climb switch an bottom out control). I had Nukeproof Mega back then and felt in love with the shock instantly (replaced Zhocci Roco TST coil shock), the grip difference was amazing. When it was time for new bike, I looked only for frames that fit the shock length, now it's on Giant Reign, still works great, I had to get MRP Ribbon coil just to get front end closer to the back in terms of traction and control (the stock Lyryk was far from it). The only downside is jumping - a little hard to preload, but you get used to it, and a little more bootomig out wit the Reign (with bottom out control would be great, but it's not retrofit-able ). I don't feel confident to give deep reviews, as I haven't use any of the new high end shocks, and my riding level and knowledge is not that great, but i know that when I sent the shock for servicing, a lost both pedals in the first ride with the old shock in a fast track with small rocks without knowing why, and I'm so confident in the rear traction, that a lost the technic to ride shitty shocks.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
talked with the US distributor yesterday (are you guys on here?) they said all shocks are 6 weeks out, all built and shipped from the old country, and probably will come infected with teh virusus! (ok maybe not that last part)

Push says "no market for DH shocks anymore" which while a much smaller market than trail bikes just isn't true.

grumblegrumblegrumble

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
talked with the US distributor yesterday (are you guys on here?) they said all shocks are 6 weeks out, all built and shipped from the old country, and probably will come infected with teh virusus! (ok maybe not that last part)

Push says "no market for DH shocks anymore" which while a much smaller market than trail bikes just isn't true.

grumblegrumblegrumble
why not ohlins?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
What's the after sales support gonna be like?

A lot of the smaller euro brands I keep an eye on are pushing EXT, but I have no time to waste investing in a shock that needs to be mailed back to Euro to be worked on or is not familiar to my local suspension tech, with adequate (fast shipping) parts support.

I don't care about an extra 3% of performance if it means prolonged downtime.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
c'mon over to windrock (although shuttled)! and occasionally snowshoe. and possibly massanutten? you could also probably find some at beech. less likely at sugar and bailey.
It didn't open until after I left, but I think the massanutten bike park is "family friendly". Hopefully I am wrong, but here is their banner image for the park.

Running shoes
Sitting
fingerless gloves

I am guessing the folks I knew who would shuttle the area after eating an eighth of shrooms aren't hitting that.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've always wondered if the EXT, BOS Void (not the Void2) have the same basic high/low speed valve design as Avalanche/Push MX and all sorts of other moto stuff. The basic valve design used by Avy is nothing special, it's a common copied design that most mtb manufactuers refuse to use because they want to get by with the least amount of work and think you want crap like pedaling platforms. The high/low concentric adjuster seems to be the same as the Avy/Push.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I got some riding on the prev-gen EXT (owner loved it and it was reliable), the first thing I noted was that it seemed to have higher breakaway force, usually inherent to larger (14mm+) shafts, not ideal for all frames.

It'd pair great to frames with excess initial progression for smaller shaft coils, notably most modern/current SC frames (N4, V10), and many from YT (Tues, Capra) - all candidates for EXT, DVO, fat-RC4, Elka, etc. Should pair decent with textbook (awesome) LRs like Commencal and Giant, though a touch harsher during from-air touchdowns than ideal, and a bit harder to jump/pop. Where I wouldn't put it is on frames with digression at the start of the curve or flatter LRs, like Kona, Orange, older Transitions, etc.

The new EXT looks nicely made otherwise, traditional design ftw, impressive weight too.
I want to like Ohlins but 3-position HSC adjuster on a DH shock is a joke.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
reading between the lines i take that to mean that there's no market for Push in DH, in that they couldn't offer a product with enough performance gain over stock DH suspension at a price people would be willing to pay.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I've always wondered if the EXT, BOS Void (not the Void2) have the same basic high/low speed valve design as Avalanche/Push MX and all sorts of other moto stuff. The basic valve design used by Avy is nothing special, it's a common copied design that most mtb manufactuers refuse to use because they want to get by with the least amount of work and think you want crap like pedaling platforms. The high/low concentric adjuster seems to be the same as the Avy/Push.
the avalanche HSC adjuster, that Craig sold to Darren for his first gen of mx tune shocks uses a poppet with adjustable spring preload. The EXT uses a pretty large diameter shim stack that has spring blows off when the spring is overcome. This setup can provide a smoother transition into the HSC blowing off

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
You guys seem knowledgeable when it comes to suspension, Any good custom tuners out there besides avalanche? He is booked for almost 2 months

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
You guys seem knowledgeable when it comes to suspension, Any good custom tuners out there besides avalanche? He is booked for almost 2 months
The best custom tune I've had so far was with Full Flow Suspension, who installed a Vorsprung Tractive tune (have also had multiple Push tunes and an Avalanche tune). Two things that I think help contribute to a good outcome are 1) a really good intake form - Vorsprung's is long but allows for a lot of detail 2) working with a local tuner so that you can reference trails that the tuner knows.