Quantcast

Extended Desktop on a W2k Laptop

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Hey all, I have a W2K laptop and I would like to hook a second monitor to it so I can extend my desktop. Xp has this tool built into there OS but W2k dosen't. Anyone know of a free tool out there that will give my this ability?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You need to have dual outputs on your video card, first off (or some other hardware solution).

If you have that, the drivers for your video card will probably come with utilities to do it.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
binary visions said:
You need to have dual outputs on your video card, first off (or some other hardware solution).

If you have that, the drivers for your video card will probably come with utilities to do it.
on a laptop you don't need dual outputs. All you need to do is hook up a second monitor and your good to go. XP has the software integrated into the OS. W2K doesn’t, I have heard of software that will let you do this but I haven't been able to find it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Google searches indicate that your laptop card must have a chipset that supports the dual monitor function. Windows 2000 should support it natively if it does. If you aren't getting the two monitor setup in the display settings, then you may be SOL.

You can do more research if you want, though - I'm just tellin' ya' what I read :)

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Win 2k does indeed support it and is native to the the OS. You need 2 video cards to do it, or a video card with dual outputs, or a Y video cable with a card that supports the splitter. Laptops that i have used do not support dual split/extended desktops natively. they only toggle between the the LCD and video output or both at the same time, but not extended. Typically you are SOL with the laptop, unless you have a docking station that has a riser and or expansion slots.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ascentrek said:
You'll need a driver for it. I had a W2k that would work, and one that wouldn't.
Well, specifically, you need a card that will support it. Obviously, cards that will support it will come with the driver, cards that won't, don't ;)

Win2k has native support for dual monitors.