Quantcast

Extension ladders

I have been using an ancient (1950s) oak extension ladder that I have decided is showing its age and too damn heavy to move about for an old coot like me.

So I want something order 27' fully extended, leaning to fiberglass rather than aluminum. I know that there are different grades that range from shit to excellent, probably want the higher end, but don't know how to identify that.

Who recommends what?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can't remember the numbering system but I believe the ladders are rated by payload. I doubt you would exceed the lightest ratings but the advantage of the heavier duty ladders is they are stiffer. The lighter duty ones can bounce and sway disturbing amounts. A ladder longer than you need with additional overlap for a given extension also helps with that.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I have been using an ancient (1950s) oak extension ladder that I have decided is showing its age and too damn heavy to move about for an old coot like me.

So I want something order 27' fully extended, leaning to fiberglass rather than aluminum. I know that there are different grades that range from shit to excellent, probably want the higher end, but don't know how to identify that.

Who recommends what?
If you have the opportunity, go pick up a few ladders. I recently purchased a 24', 300 lb capacity fiberglass extension ladder for my 69 year old father and almost returned it as it's at the upper end of what he can physically move around without getting hurt. Aluminum isn't significantly lighter, nor are the lesser capacities, but no sense in getting significantly more capacity than is required.

EDIT:

Just for reference, a 28', 300lb capacity fiberglass Werner weighs 60 lbs.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Do you need the insulative properties of a fiberglass ladder? If not, just snag an inexpensive aluminum extension ladder. I've always had Werner ladders, that's what they sell at Lowes, HD and Whitecap, have not fallen to me death.

I have a Little Giant as well, it's okay, and only okay. Handy if you need the offset leg lengths from an A frame, or two identical ladders to make a work platform out of, but it's heavy, cumbersome and when unfolded to use as an extension ladder wobbly as shit.