Quantcast

external hard drive question....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
picking up an external hardrive to back up photos and music....are these things file specific in anyway? what i mean is will they be capable of storing RAW image files and whatnot? what about the ability to back up my Macromedia Studio 8 Pro? can i put it on there and re-install after i reformat my internal HD? the software was not acquired illegally but i no longer have the disc/serial code....

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
picking up an external hardrive to back up photos and music....are these things file specific in anyway? what i mean is will they be capable of storing RAW image files and whatnot? what about the ability to back up my Macromedia Studio 8 Pro? can i put it on there and re-install after i reformat my internal HD? the software was not acquired illegally but i no longer have the disc/serial code....
You can put anything on an external drive that you can an internal drive, so .raw format isn't going to be a problem

The macromedia question, one of the geeks will have to answer that particular one.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
You can put anything on an external drive that you can an internal drive, so .raw format isn't going to be a problem

The macromedia question, one of the geeks will have to answer that particular one.

are you trying to imply that you are not a geek?:cheers:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As DRB said, external drive is the same as an internal drive... as a matter of fact, it IS an internal drive, just stuck in a housing box.

Is your software on CD or in a big zip file or something?

Aug 31, 2006
Did you by chance register your macromedia products? If so, go to adobe.com, log in, get your serial number. I say that cuz I don't think the "about" screen shows your complete serial #, also, I think they embed the code somewhere in your system folder, so if you copy the application(s) to the external, re-format internal, and copy them back, that they won't work.

You can also re-download all licensed adobe and macromedia products from adobe too, so that's cool

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ahh, I see... you mean you have the program installed, and you want to know if you can copy the program folder to your exernal drive.

No, you can't do that.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i have the legit version installed with serial code and whatnot but i no longer own the disc or the serial code due to the fact that it was given to me through an employer that owned the software and i was required to give it back after installing.......so i can get my stuff from adobe? i had to register it for it to work so i guess they have it on file file but how do i get it back on my comp?will they let me download it from their site then or somwething...just dont want to lose it.....

Aug 31, 2006
legal licensing semantics aside... you need the correct email address and password to access "my account" on adobe. And their system has been fvcked since they merged the data with macromedia. Took me a FVCKING MONTH and at least 50 attempts logging in to get to my data. Don't hold your breath

Try it, but if you don't get access, you really have no other choice than to buy it or get the serial number illegally since you don't have any rights to that license.

IF you get access to your employer's acct on adobe.com, they'll give you all the codes and access to free download you need.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
legal licensing semantics aside... you need the correct email address and password to access "my account" on adobe. And their system has been fvcked since they merged the data with macromedia. Took me a FVCKING MONTH and at least 50 attempts logging in to get to my data. Don't hold your breath

Try it, but if you don't get access, you really have no other choice than to buy it or get the serial number illegally since you don't have any rights to that license.

IF you get access to your employer's acct on adobe.com, they'll give you all the codes and access to free download you need.
the license is legal and not tied to their business at all....it was tyhe boss, copy it was for PC but they all use macs....as far as i know it wasnt anything to do with the business licensing being as how there hasnt been a PC in the studio for well over 4 years....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ahh, I see... you mean you have the program installed, and you want to know if you can copy the program folder to your exernal drive.

No, you can't do that.
You can ALMOST do that now. Various schemes have emerged and many popular programs can now be setup to reside and run from USB mass storage devices.

http://www.mojopac.com/promo/xfire.html (promo for free public beta, not just for gaming)

http://portableapps.com/

http://www.u3.com/ (well known sandisk offshoot)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I know about U3 and portable apps. I've got a 2gb U3 enabled USB drive that has a ton of stuff on it, I love it - lets me run off any computer at school or work.

But installers don't usually work that way, and especially not in this case.

Aug 31, 2006
the license is legal and not tied to their business at all....it was tyhe boss, copy it was for PC but they all use macs....as far as i know it wasnt anything to do with the business licensing being as how there hasnt been a PC in the studio for well over 4 years....
I wasn't suggesting the license was illegal.

But if the license is four years old, then it's licensed for absolete products.

check your PMs.