Quantcast

External hard drive question

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have a Maxtor external Firewire drive that is specifically for Macs. Is it possible to bomb the firmware into oblivion and make Windows recognize it as a mass storage device? Plugging it in does nothing but confuzzle Windoze.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I have a Maxtor external Firewire drive that is specifically for Macs. Is it possible to bomb the firmware into oblivion and make Windows recognize it as a mass storage device? Plugging it in does nothing but confuzzle Windoze.
Check the file system - reformat it to fat32 and almost any OS will read and write it.

If its a big HDD you'll need something like this:

http://www.partedmagic.com/

To make a huge single FAT32 partition.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Trying Macdrive...I just barely re-plugged it back in. Windows picks it up as a "Maxtor 1394 storage front-panel", and it can't locate any drivers. AFAIK there are no generic Firewire storage drivers for Windows, and Maxtor/Seagate doesn't have any as this shipped as a Mac-only drive.

Firewire does NOT behave like USB in Windoze...you can't plug in anything and have it recognize the storage space on it.

I may just rip the drive out of it and plug it in as an internal. It'll serve the same purpose (backup).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Depends on the chipset. Most firewire drives install a generic firewire driver included with windows and work just like USB drives do.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Depends on the chipset. Most firewire drives install a generic firewire driver included with windows and work just like USB drives do.
Know where I can find one before I go Dr. Frankenstein with my jeweler's screwdriver? Everything I've read says XP has some already, but it's not pulling any up.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Sorry I don't know much about the model/brand.

If it was mine I would just rip out the drive and use one of those $20 multitype USB drive adapters they sell at newegg.com

Or you could buy a antec MX-1 if your computer has SATA for about $40-50. If you have the right chipset, bios option, and driver installed in windows you can hotswap eSATA for internal drive speeds and you still have a USB port for regular computers that don't have eSATA.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah, I just opened it up...actually an IDE drive. Glorious. I don't actually need an external, so I just (after digging around for a long while to find an IDE cable...my machine is entirely SATA) plugged it in and formatted it as FAT32 with partmagic. Now to find a decent backup utility...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Oooh! Ghetto BASIC programs! I like your style...It will do until Time Machine takes over :busted:
Its super fast - only copies over new or modified files. My personal backup script is 230 bytes - can't beat that...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Its super fast - only copies over new or modified files. My personal backup script is 230 bytes - can't beat that...
I'm digging it - nice example of KISS. Going to be Hackintoshing with Leopard here shortly and may have to nuke the Raptor...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So I may just have ****ed up my data drive.

I did the backup beforehand, but nothing is showing up on my backup. The space is taken, however. Yes...I'm viewing hidden files, but this **** is not showing up in explorer. I'm about to die. If I've lost everything...

How I ran the program:
@echo off

set drive=I:\Backup
set backupcmd=xcopy /s /c /d /e /h /i /r /k /y

echo ### Backing up Documents...
%backupcmd% "E:\" "%drive%"

echo Backup Complete!
@pause
edit: I downloaded some freaky german file recovery freeware util, and it sees the files - thank god...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You forgot abort. I never understood what the difference between abort and fail was...then again, I was five.

Partition Magic isn't reformatting the data drive after the OSX installer fvcked it up. Grrrr.
F-Partition Magic

Are you Gparted:disgust1:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Knoppix has decent tools too:

http://www.knoppix.org/

I TOLD you to use VMware until you made sure everything worked to your satisfaction...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
PC Inspector is a piece of ****. It works, but I need to copy every individual folder over individually or it ****s itself.

Other suggestions? I may boot into Ubuntu or Knoppix and see if they pick the stuff up...PC Inspector does NOT see it as deleted, it sees it as on the drive, btw.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well its a freebie program - I haven't use that one myself but I know friends who have used it on flash memory for digital camera.

I've never used knoppix or ubuntu liveCDs for file recovery.

Another program I have use for partition also has various disk utilities:

http://partedmagic.com/