Quantcast

Extra $13 a week. What will you do?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
OMG OMFG OMG

WASHINGTON – Economic stimulus legislation at the heart of President Barack Obama's recovery plan is on track for final votes Friday in the House and Senate after a dizzying final round of bargaining that yielded agreement on tax cuts and spending totaling $789 billion.

Obama, who has campaigned energetically for the legislation, welcomed the agreement, saying it would "save or create more than 3.5 million jobs and get our economy back on track."

The $500-per-worker credit for lower- and middle-income taxpayers that Obama outlined during his presidential campaign was scaled back to $400 during bargaining by the Democratic-controlled Congress and White House. Couples would receive $800 instead of $1,000. Over two years, that move would pump about $25 billion less into the economy than had been previously planned.

Officials estimated it would mean about $13 a week more in people's paychecks this year when withholding tables are adjusted in late spring.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Sorry everybody isn't as rich as you and can afford to pour a garage slab 4 times.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why are these threads in the lounge?

I don't come to the lounge to think, I come to make fun of people who aren't me.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
That's $52 a month and can help pay a heating bill, keep the phone turned on or 2-3 dinners for a small family.

Beats the fuq out of it being sent to Iraq.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's $52 a month and can help pay a heating bill, keep the phone turned on or 2-3 dinners for a small family.

Beats the fuq out of it being sent to Iraq.
this is true, but I'd really rather see it being spent on infrastructure and sorting out SOME of the 9001 problems that we have...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
what's the difference between SkaredShtles & a large pizza?

a large pizza can feed a family of 4

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
this is true, but I'd really rather see it being spent on infrastructure and sorting out SOME of the 9001 problems that we have...
Yes I agree. But also keep in mind that as tax cuts go, this is the best way for the government to ensure that the money is being spent. Think about it, if the gov gave you a check for $400 you'd throw it in the bank, or possibly pay down some CC debt. But if you get an extra $26/paycheck, you're more likely to eat out a little more, or spend it on groceries, or Starbucks, etc. It gets people spending money again, and hopefully feeling a little richer.

Mine's going towards beer, though. :cheers:

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Yes I agree. But also keep in mind that as tax cuts go, this is the best way for the government to ensure that the money is being spent. Think about it, if the gov gave you a check for $400 you'd throw it in the bank, or possibly pay down some CC debt. But if you get an extra $26/paycheck, you're more likely to eat out a little more, or spend it on groceries, or Starbucks, etc. It gets people spending money again, and hopefully feeling a little richer.

Mine's going towards beer, though. :cheers:
No way man. Quit smoking so no reason to go to starbucks. Watched Kitchen nightmares a few times, no more going out to eat. CC's all in consolidation program.

My $26 per paycheck is going straight up my nose. That's how I'm going to help the government.