Quantcast

Extracting audio from .mpg

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is there an easy way to extract the audio from an .mpg file and save it as, say, an .mp3?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I'd just use movie making software to do it. load it on the timeline and render it as an mp3

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The only movie making software I've got is the Microsoft Movie Maker or whatever, and it blows. I already tried using it, and failed. Thanks for the idea though. Any other ideas?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
You'll have to experiment with an internet seach and try to find something with a 30 day trial period. Not sure about the below link, I found it after seaching 2 minutes. You may be able to get a trial version of Sony Vegas if you search long enough.

http://www.dvdtox.com/dvd_audio_ripper.htm

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can always try the tried and true: run an audio cable from the output jack to the input jack.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
how big the mpg?
i've cut and copied the audio from a mpg in quicktime pro.

or send the file to me, if its smaller... and i can do it for you.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
how big the mpg?
i've cut and copied the audio from a mpg in quicktime pro.

or send the file to me, if its smaller... and i can do it for you.
Well, I'm not talking about one. More like 20. I can't possibly imagine that you want to do it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
radio shack, staples??? you can't live in a cave if you play mpegs:)
I was trying to avoid spending money. I realized that I can get access to a computer with imovie for long enough to do what I need. That should be more capable than my POS Microsoft movie maker, right?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I was trying to avoid spending money. I realized that I can get access to a computer with imovie for long enough to do what I need. That should be more capable than my POS Microsoft movie maker, right?
true. but send me one of the files. and then atleast you have someone else trying something.

cables are pretty damn cheap here, www.newegg.com

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks guys. I'm going to have a go with imovie tomorrow. If that dosn't work, I'll post up and beg for more help. :D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
At some point I was able to do this with some creative use of the sound recorder, volume control and windows media player. I can't remember what I did exactly but I remember I didn't use any cables. I used to have a really cool .wav editor that came with a soundblaster card like 15 years ago, it did stuff like this, I'm not sure where that software went when I upgraded to windows 95.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
You could use a sound recording and editing software like Audacity (it's free, too) and just record the output from your computer (no cables required). Then save it in whatever format you want.