Quantcast

Extreme newb question.

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Hey all.

Well as most of you know, well, you probably don't. I am doing a singlespeed conversion on my late 90's GT. Well I had ran into a bit of a snag as far as not having the right tools to do the job. Well I was originally going to just use the stock cranks and middle chain ring but all three chainrings seem to be riveted together. So I am currently scouring ebay for some cheap used cranks and chainrings. My question is, will any bottom bracket fit in any bike? I wsa thinking, that since this bike is at least 10 years old, that it might be time to upgrade. I figured that since I had the cranks off, might as well invest in a bb tool and see if I can find a newer used bb online somewhere and put it all back together and be good to go. What do you all think?

Parker

sickbullit

Chimp
Feb 23, 2006
the "newer" bb's should fit...you probably have a 68MM or 73MM shell, just measure and see.

Most XC BB's will fit either, you just use spacers for the 73MM version, and usually the spacers are included.

The external ones are pretty easy to set up, but the ISIS and "older" Shimanos (hollowtech) will work fine too...just makes sure whatever you get matches the cranks.