Quantcast

Extreme Walking, but cool nonetheless...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I realise that this is not biking, but Mt. Katahdin kicks ass. Any hikers should definitely check it out.

We got up at 3:20 am, got in line at the gate for around 4:00. There were already 16 cars ahead of us to sign up for access to Baxter Park. The only let about 30 cars into the park, so best to get there early. Doubted it was true, but decided not to risk having our 7 hour drive go to waste. Turned out it was a good thing we got up with the Loons. (bird kind).

It was coooooooooold!

Started the hike up Helon Taylor trail around 6-ish. Hit the summit by 11:00. The Knife Edge was nuts. So much fun, couldn't have had better weather.

We then proceeded to descend via a trail known as Catheral. Crossed a bunch of people headed upward giving us the "You're nuts" look. Turns out going DOWN that way is not recommended. It was a little hairy, but I can't imagine that going down Helon-Taylor would have been a whole lot easier... ehn, whatever. Good times all the same. Downclimb, bumslide? Varying techniques were used...

Got back to the trailhead at around 4:30 pm completely exhausted, with sore feet, sore knees and big smiles.

So, to all you Mainers out there, you got yourselves a fine mountain. And to any hikers out there, if you haven't hit Mt. Katahdin (Cat-ahhhhh-din, as we learned... he heh) yet. Go.

What a great weekend.

Attachments

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Knife's Edge is super cool. I haven't hiked it sicne high school, but I'd love to get back up there sometime.
I think that, besides rockclimbing of course, that it is the only time I've felt like I could fall off of a mountain. Nervous giggles were aplenty...love that feeling...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Okay, a quick question for those who know about hiking in New England.

Say you've already hiked Mt. Washington, Mt. Katahdin, Mt. Mansfield, which would be your next suggestion?

Looking for the next conquest. I hear Mt. Lafayette is the way to go. Opinions?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
*cough* bump *cough* I just got an email from Necky kayaks. They're sending me a new neoprene cover for my deck hatch free of charge. Good on 'em.

So no hiking opinions from anyone then?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Okay, a quick question for those who know about hiking in New England.

Say you've already hiked Mt. Washington, Mt. Katahdin, Mt. Mansfield, which would be your next suggestion?

Looking for the next conquest. I hear Mt. Lafayette is the way to go. Opinions?
Try some of the other Presidentials. North Conway / Barlett / Jackson are all good places to stay while hiking. It's a short drive to the trail heads.

New Hampshire
some hiking route info