Quantcast

F•r•e•e N•i•p•p•l•e•s F•r•i•d•a•y

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
poor doggo has kennel cough. Likely two week quarantine, no exercise allowed, not even walks. He is used to an insane amount of activity with his doggy friends, he’s gonna be one bummin’ pooch. At least he isn’t in a cone or something.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Went to my new local, in network (UCHealth) urgent care to get checked out and get radiographs. And voila, I have a comminuted, mildly displaced fracture through the base of my fifth metacarpal by my glance at them. A boxer’s fracture, from punching the ground, if you will. I’ll grab pictures from PACS later.
My middle kid got that fracture playing soccer of all things...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Happy to report, the 4th lumbar puncture is a success. They got the pressure reading and took all the samples.

So glad that's done with.

Not sure what the difference between today and Wednesday was, but today was so much easier. Even the local anesthesia they did was much more comfortable. And with the help of the xray, they didn't have to fuck around and keep poking with the spinal needle.

I foresee a celebratory beer tonight. Assuming I don't get a raging headache.

:)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Happy to report, the 4th lumbar puncture is a success. They got the pressure reading and took all the samples.

So glad that's done with.

Not sure what the difference between today and Wednesday was, but today was so much easier. Even the local anesthesia they did was much more comfortable. And with the help of the xray, they didn't have to fuck around and keep poking with the spinal needle.

I foresee a celebratory beer tonight. Assuming I don't get a raging headache.

:)

Glad to hear that the chip implant has generated and positive mood. Await further instructions.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
When I was guiding full time I had 3 different sat phones in a span of 2 years and neither of them would get reception when it was actually needed in the scenarios I was in. Not reliable at all in deep canyons, gorge bottoms, or even steep wooded terrian.

I have the exact device on a ram mount on my dash and it has worked flawlessly, even the older version worked great and it is enough to get the job done without having to use the emergency function.

A3FBD083-D3B2-4FBB-8D21-2F5EFD93FB2A.jpeg

Paired with an iPad mounted to the grab rail it is truly a great device.

but the radios will always work since they are very basic and the repeater infrastructure is maintained by local clubs and orgs with often 2-4 repeater overlap.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I was guiding full time I had 3 different sat phones in a span of 2 years and neither of them would get reception when it was actually needed in the scenarios I was in. Not reliable at all in deep canyons, gorge bottoms, or even steep wooded terrian.

I have the exact device on a ram mount on my dash and it has worked flawlessly, even the older version worked great and it is enough to get the job done without having to use the emergency function.

View attachment 181436

Paired with an iPad mounted to the grab rail it is truly a great device.

but the radios will always work since they are very basic and the repeater infrastructure is maintained by local clubs and orgs with often 2-4 repeater overlap.
The Mini is not without disadvantages IME,

It has to pair with a phone or other device. "Has to" is a little strong, but to really utilize the ability to send messages that aren't pre-selected, it does, it's not practical to use the device to try and flip through characters to generate a message, you definitely aren't going to be doing that when it's cold. And then there's extended tracking, great for log-distance expedition stuff, but in that mode you won't receive or send messages, so you made a tradeoff for the extended operation.

Then there's Li Ion batteries in the cold, this is just totally inexcusable for stuff intended to be use outdoors, skiing, snowmachines, airplanes, whatever you do. Someone should be punched in the face for not making it compatible with AA lithium batteries like older Garmin eTrex units.

I find sending a message can take a looooong time in any kind of cover, up to hours. Works better outdoors, can still take a while.

It's relatively useless for nav...yes, it can nav a GPX...but it's not a good platform and I wouldn't want to rely on it.

Then there's the aspect of a paid subscription and signal that doesn't go directly to the RCC, but to a commercial org (these also use the iridium sat network). It's relatively low power compared to a 406mhz PLB and the PLB also includes a terminal homing beacon, which speaking with S&R crews is very helpful, not only do modern S&R platforms directly receive the PLB's 406 GPS signal, they also get the terminal signal. Terminal searches (like within a half mile) are much more difficult for S&R than you might think.

But all in all, it's still a good device, it's small, it works, it's great to be able to leave bread-crumps on a tracking site that other people can access. It's good to be able to send and receive message and not just have an emergency function for the most dire situation.

I would recommend the full size unit like a Montana for actual nav and ability to send messages without having the pretty-much-necessary phone-interface if it's not a size/weight constrained activity. My buddies that navigate snowmachines from Anchorage to Nome in the race swear by it.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The Mini is not without disadvantages IME,

It has to pair with a phone or other device. "Has to" is a little strong, but to really utilize the ability to send messages that aren't pre-selected, it does, it's not practical to use the device to try and flip through characters to generate a message, you definitely aren't going to be doing that when it's cold. And then there's extended tracking, great for log-distance expedition stuff, but in that mode you won't receive or send messages, so you made a tradeoff for the extended operation.

Then there's Li Ion batteries in the cold, this is just totally inexcusable for stuff intended to be use outdoors, skiing, snowmachines, airplanes, whatever you do. Someone should be punched in the face for not making it compatible with AA lithium batteries like older Garmin eTrex units.

I find sending a message can take a looooong time in any kind of cover, up to hours. Works better outdoors, can still take a while.

It's relatively useless for nav...yes, it can nav a GPX...but it's not a good platform and I wouldn't want to rely on it.

Then there's the aspect of a paid subscription and signal that doesn't go directly to the RCC, but to a commercial org (these also use the iridium sat network). It's relatively low power compared to a 406mhz PLB and the PLB also includes a terminal homing beacon, which speaking with S&R crews is very helpful, not only do modern S&R platforms directly receive the PLB's 406 GPS signal, they also get the terminal signal. Terminal searches (like within a half mile) are much more difficult for S&R than you might think.

But all in all, it's still a good device, it's small, it works, it's great to be able to leave bread-crumps on a tracking site that other people can access. It's good to be able to send and receive message and not just have an emergency function for the most dire situation.

I would recommend the full size unit like a Montana for actual nav and ability to send messages without having the pretty-much-necessary phone-interface if it's not a size/weight constrained activity. My buddies that navigate snowmachines from Anchorage to Nome in the race swear by it.
I agree, pretty useless without a connected device but amazing with an ipad, ironically I have never had to use it for myself in an emergency but several times for others that I come along while doing trips or trails.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
poor doggo has kennel cough. Likely two week quarantine, no exercise allowed, not even walks. He is used to an insane amount of activity with his doggy friends, he’s gonna be one bummin’ pooch. At least he isn’t in a cone or something.

Is your dog an anti-vaxxer?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Idea:
1662148197322.png

I just need to tilt it at about a 30-60° and it seems like it will be ideal for combating flat-light while skiing.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wifey's back somehow detonated overnight and she can barely move, so I'm taking over everything she was planning on doing plus my stuff today. Minus my morning call today, I'm not working
I just signed up for my tri. :panic:
Dumbass.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Raise/lower desk acquired. It's new. Apparently the company I bot it from does office space renovations. They did the first reno right as everything closed up 2yrs ago and this desk was an install. That company left the space, selling the furniture to the moving/install company, who are now renovating for the new tenant. I got to pull the plastic sticker cover off the buttons. $375 for a $1200 desk. I'll take that.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just signed up for my tri. :panic:
TrainingPeaks has a really good platform for getting a schedule together. Know that running shoes are considered disposable. Get a good pair that fits VERY well, but expect to replace them every 500ish miles. Speedo has really good coaching videos for swimming. RPMs aren't as important as gliding after each stroke. And learn to breathe both sides, if you can't already.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i simply cannot fathom standing up to type/do shit with one of those things. i like to slouch/lounge around at my desk.

chilling at lake lure as various other family members arrive. apparently our house looks out over the spot for a scene from dirty dancing.
1662159803701.jpeg

i dunno man...going to ride a nearby trail that feels like it's all uphill tomorrow. but for now, beers and various hors d'oeuvres.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
i should...but prolly pedaling myself all the way up to the top of weedpatch via buffalo creek because my fat ass needs beat down
Is that the one with elevintybillion switchbacks that opened a few years ago ?

Just looked at the map and I'm not sure you can still shuttle Shumont. It dumps out on Boys Camp rd. The bottom section is a boulder field at freeway speeds. Stupid fast.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i simply cannot fathom standing up to type/do shit with one of those things. i like to slouch/lounge around at my desk.

chilling at lake lure as various other family members arrive. apparently our house looks out over the spot for a scene from dirty dancing.
View attachment 181457

i dunno man...going to ride a nearby trail that feels like it's all uphill tomorrow. but for now, beers and various hors d'oeuvres.
When you have back problems sitting for long periods hurts. Also, at wookie size, desks are too low, so slouching over is not a slouch - it's and uncomfortable head hang.