Quantcast

F* bad torque specs

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Question for all you "torque" guys out there. I use a Park "beam" style torque wrench. When tightening items there is the initial torque to get it moving (overcome initial resistance) and then once it is moving the torque spec goes down. And I'm using a ton of grease FWIW.

So should I be looking at that initial static spec, or the "dynamic" one?
Its what you cal break away torque VS turning torque. You should always start your torque were your fastener is easily able to move to start and bring it gently into final torque. If it has to break away when you are putting final torque on it, you started out by tightening it a little too far to begin with.

Tighten it until it strips, then back it off 1/4 turn.
Thats Volkswagon Dumbass!!

Lets just hope TheMontashu never finds this thread.
I owe you rep Sir

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This is sort of like following your GPS off a cliff. A great tool does not replace common sense.

I think you know this, but it's pretty rare that torque specs dictate more torque than you think you need - it's usually the opposite.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
:shocked:

That's fvcking nuts. Were they banking on you using a 4' long breaker bar or something?
my dakota's front hubs need to be torqued to 190ft/lbs and they thankfully do make torque wrenches that go that high. a friend tried to use a long breaker bar to what he thought was 190ft/lbs....lets just say, he needed new bearings in a month or so

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
:shocked:

That's fvcking nuts. Were they banking on you using a 4' long breaker bar or something?
two and a half to three foot torque wrench, When doing stuff like this on the jeep's it will put it more into perspective how much you overtighten stuff, its easier to get to the 175 to 200 range than you would think.

Easy test, use an actual torque wrench on your cars wheels next time you tighten your lugnuts, it will scare you how little it actually is.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Easy test, use an actual torque wrench on your cars wheels next time you tighten your lugnuts, it will scare you how little it actually is.
This. I was scared the first time I went to spec on the subie.