Quantcast

F-in STRAVA

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
One of our local cycling clubs/groups (racers only) has advertised a valley-wide series of 'Strava Races'.
ll on the most popular, well used trails and road routes, during the height of the summer cycling season.
Facking ridiculous.
Are they just asking for conflicts between user groups?

[Pisses me off/Get Off My Trails]

Any of you in popular riding areas dealing with this BS?

Summer Sandbag Series

FREE STRAVA CHALLENGE SERIES

Introducing the Summer Sandbag Series! This is a handicapped series of Strava challenges that will take place throughout the summer. Handicapping will allow the lesser of us to compete against the fastest riders in Jackson. Each Strava challenge will be open for two weeks of unlimited attempts. Handicapped standings will be posted here and we'll announce final standings after the Moose-Roubaix in the fall.

Series results will be based on points awarded for handicapped placings. Every rider receives a minimum of 5 points just for participating. Stages include something for everyone, both road and mountain bikers. Road stages include flats and climbs, mountain bike stages include climbs and descents.

This is a great way to push yourself to improve and compete against your friends in a no-stress format! (Times will not be shown, only points totals) Do all the stages to rack up points, or do only the stages that interest you. There is no minimum number of stages to participate.

The Summer Sandbag Series is FREE to all who sign up!
New to Strava?

Whether you're a confirmed Strava user with a Garmin or are one of the uninitiated, the Summer Sandbag Series is for you! Free and simple to use Strava apps for Android and iPhone mean all you need is a smartphone!
Complete info

Complete information can be found by visiting the Summer Sandbag Series page at JHCycling.org

To sign up, simply reply to this email with your full name, and email address.

ROAD STAGES
May 10 - May 24
Spring Creek Climb

May 10 - May 24
Gros Ventre Jct to Science School Jct

May 17 - May 31
Red Top Climb

May 17 - May 31
Antelope Flats (West to East)

June 7 - June 21
Old Pass Road Climb

July 27
Teton Pass Hill Climb*
MTB STAGES
June 18
Cache Creek MTB Race*

June 28 - July 12
Front of Snow King climb

July 12 - July 26
Phillips Canyon descent

July 12 - July 26
Phillips Ridge climb

July 19 - August 2
Ferrins climb ( From log to top)

July 19 - August 2
West Game descent (True descent)

(* Double Points will be awarded)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I use Strava, but I honestly don't really look at it. I record my ride, upload it and then forget about it.

I'm all for local grassroots racing if its just for fun. But if they're on multiuse paths/trails and crap, then yeah, that will just end up with problems. But its not like people don't already treat Strava segments as races...

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I dunno. I like it, but to the point of a "race"? Nah. If I happen to beat a friend on a segment. Great. But he might have set that time a year ago...

I don't get how these events are worth organizing.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I dunno. I like it, but to the point of a "race"? Nah. If I happen to beat a friend on a segment. Great. But he might have set that time a year ago...

I don't get how these events are worth organizing.
That's how I feel. I like strava as a dork logging tool but I would never organize/participate in a "race" using it that was on open multi-use trails. I use strava for almost every ride but I never sacrifice trail etiquette just to get a faster segment time. If anything, strava has actually made me a more courteous rider.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That's how I feel. I like strava as a dork logging tool but I would never organize/participate in a "race" using it that was on open multi-use trails. I use strava for almost every ride but I never sacrifice trail etiquette just to get a faster segment time. If anything, strava has actually made me a more courteous rider.
:stupid:

I use it, but mostly just as a log for #of miles I manage to knock out in a given year. Strava racing is dumb, and absolutely asking for trouble in a multi-use area.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'd rather see them doing this and riding individually that the way the club racer boys do it around here. Every Thursday night they're somewhere, 15+ riders hauling the mail, sliding corners and shooing people out of their way. No wonder there are booby traps on some of the blind single-track corners. Still dumb though.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Handicap standings? Might as well call it Momma'a Boys racing league.
Does everyone get a trophy as well? The handicap division gets a wheelchair atop his trophy to show the world his special need.

Ha, those dudes need to look at the fastest time and take it like a man. If you want your time to be faster, get off your ass and work for it. If you don't, ride $hitty with pride! But save the handicap work for the people who are actually handicapped.

(sorry pet peeve.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Handicap standings? Might as well call it Momma'a Boys racing league.
Does everyone get a trophy as well? The handicap division gets a wheelchair atop his trophy to show the world his special need.

Ha, those dudes need to look at the fastest time and take it like a man. If you want your time to be faster, get off your ass and work for it. If you don't, ride $hitty with pride! But save the handicap work for the people who are actually handicapped.

(sorry pet peeve.)

riding a 29'er is a handicap

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
then contact your local USFS ranger and ask him what their policy on races on these trails is. then kindly (and anonymously) point them towards this "race".