Quantcast

F%^K Insomnia

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Its almost 4 am PST. Been up for two hours now, couldnt fall assleep till about midnight.

Nothing helping currently, not even the pharma sleep aids...
Im not quite that bad. For the last 4-5 months I wake up almost everynight around 3 and cant fall back to sleep till 4 or 4:30 then have to get up at 6. Starts to wear on you after a while. Ive tried Melatonin, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have the same problem. I go to sleep at 7:30-8pm. Wake up at 10:30-10:45 need to walk around/grab a snack, go back to sleep, wake up at 1:00-1:15, need to get a drink/take a leak, then wake up at 3:00am to get ready for work.
I don't think I've had a through night's rest in 6 months.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I have the same problem. I go to sleep at 7:30-8pm. Wake up at 10:30-10:45 need to walk around/grab a snack, go back to sleep, wake up at 1:00-1:15, need to get a drink/take a leak, then wake up at 3:00am to get ready for work.
I don't think I've had a through night's rest in 6 months.
Same here.
I tend to wake up once or twice during the night.
Not sure why, must be stress or something.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I like ambien but you may end up naked on your neighbours roof on occasion.
Be careful with this ****. My x girlfriends mom got addicted and had to go to rehab for it. I also had a buddy get a dui after having 4-5 beers, popping an ambi and heading to the store unaware and unawake to buy playing cards and a banana (wtf?)

Personally, I have had sleeping problems since high school, got over them at the end of college and they have come back due to stress and lack of exercise. I have been prescribed ambien for the past 2 months and it puts me out, but i do not get good sleep on it. According to my girlfriend i get up and wander around and talk a lot with my eyes open. Full conversations that i have no recollection of at all. One night i got up at 11 or so and went into her living room and stood there naked while fondling my junk and eatin m&m's and talked to her roommate and her boyfriend for about 30 minutes. Very awkward having them tell me that the next morning.

Also my dreams (that i remember) on ambien are becoming more and more ****ed up and weird.... borderline scary.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Which makes sense for me (and my stress induced seizures)
I have some kind of night time partial seizures, I twitch and kick. It wakes me up constantly. The last time I slept through the whole night was 2004. No joke, I actually remember it, I woke up thinking "wholly F$@K I didn't get up once!".

Combine that problem with the stress induced insomnia = sleeping like total sh!t for months at a time. Sucks.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have some kind of night time partial seizures, I twitch and kick. It wakes me up constantly. The last time I slept through the whole night was 2004. No joke, I actually remember it, I woke up thinking "wholly F$@K I didn't get up once!".

Combine that problem with the stress induced insomnia = sleeping like total sh!t for months at a time. Sucks.
they call that "jimmy legs".

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I really hope that's not what is waking me up...
Well when I get really sleep deprived over a few weeks the seizures happen during the day. Seizures aren't all on the ground shaking crap, its when your brain isn't working right for a short time. Sometimes an arm will go numb, sometimes I'd just stand still and space out for 30 seconds. I take a mild level of drugs, prevents the daytime stuff but doesn't completely fix my sleep. I still wake up 3 or so times a night.

Or I'm having dreams of being a dancer!

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I have no problem falling asleep. Staying asleep is another story. I'll usually wake up every 2-3 hours. I go from knocked out, to wide awake in a split second. It's like someone turns a switch and sets a timer. I pass out, and sure enough I'll wake up after 2-3 hours. Take another 20 min to go back to sleep. Drives the wife nuts.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well when I get really sleep deprived over a few weeks the seizures happen during the day. Seizures aren't all on the ground shaking crap, its when your brain isn't working right for a short time. Sometimes an arm will go numb, sometimes I'd just stand still and space out for 30 seconds. I take a mild level of drugs, prevents the daytime stuff but doesn't completely fix my sleep. I still wake up 3 or so times a night.

Or I'm having dreams of being a dancer!
I get the little ones when I am sleep deprived, but if I let it get bad enough I have grand mals. Which is why I can't drive currently. I need less stress, on a large scale.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
****, this topic jinxed my sleep. Read it today, not its 6am and Im still not sleeping. Though when I see how many ppl in the US medicate themselves for sleep I am amazed. I only have trouble sleeping when I dont get any exercise. If I know I may have problems I just hop on the stationary bike and ride till Im sure I will want to sleep. Always works and when I want to get high Id rather go shrooms. ;)

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I've been up until like 3-4am on weeknights and have to get up at 7-730am for class. It's gotten so bad lately that I've been missing class and it's effecting my grades. I'm less than 2 months from graduating college and I've been slipping up the past few months because of this. I refuse to take Ambien, I've taken Simply Sleep but that either keeps me up longer or I sleep through my alarm. I can toke a little bowl and that'll help put me out but like the Simply Sleep, once I'm out I'm dead to the world. I grind my teeth in my sleep and lately I've been catching myself clenching my teeth when I'm awake. Anxiety and stress I'm sure, but this sh*t is getting old quick. Also, because of my lack of sleep at night I find myself taking accidental naps in the middle of the day. I'm sure that isn't helping the situation either...

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Two things I do. Pay attention to when I feel sleepy and hit the sack. Last night it was 9pm the day before it was 1:30am. If I push through that time and ignore my body I get a second wind which keeps me up for at least three hours. The other is working out early in the day and not after work. I found working out in the evening kept me up.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Alright foos, listen up. Here's the recipe for sleep.

1. No Alchohol, caffeine or chocolate after 5pm.
2. Eat a balanced dinner with a good portion of protein.
3. 15-20 minutes of cardio during the day, preferably before noon.
4. Potato 2 hours before bed. Yes a F'N potato, just do it.
5. 1 hour before bed 1 1-3mg melatonin, 1 b6, 1 500mg tryptophan

tekin112000

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
1. No Alchohol, caffeine or chocolate after 5pm.
2. Eat a balanced dinner with a good portion of protein.
3. 15-20 minutes of cardio during the day, preferably before noon.
4. Potato 2 hours before bed. Yes a F'N potato, just do it.
5. 1 hour before bed 1 1-3mg melatonin, 1 b6, 1 500mg tryptophan
How do you eat the potato raw, baked, boiled? I am serious. I am goin to try the recipe and your other suggestions. I have had insomnia for years. I sleep through the whole night only a few times a month. The rest of the time fall asleep easily at 11PM sleep for a couple then wide ass awake and restless at 1AM. Barely back to sleep at 4:30 then up when the alarm goes off at 6AM

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ok, here is the history for me so people know. Yes right now I am under a ****load of stress at work and at home..... If I want to get paid, the work stress stays.....

Family history has always been the males of the family operate normally on 5-6 hours without issue. In the past I have just had nights here or there were I just didnt sleep and all was well, just the way I am<along with many others in teh family>. Sleep issues have always been a problem, never like whats happening now.

Ive tried Tylenol PM... Keeps me awake... Tried the warm milk..... Makes me sick..... Used to go for a middle of the night ride around town..... Rode the DH bike around town for almost four hours... stayed awake... Brought home a demo bike for a good XC middle of the night ride...... Nothing, absolutly wide awake. Nyquil.... Like crack for me...... I get the adverse reaction to alot of stuff, Alcohol doesnt put me out but keeps me up..... As per doctors orders, a good cup of dark coffee about an hour before bed, used to knock me out every time..... Nothing now.

Biggest problem is that for about a month and a half.... two months ish now, I have been getting less than two hours of sleep each night. I get up at 5:30 every morning like clockwork, doesnt matter when I go to sleep I just normally wake up at 530. I try to go to bed around ten or eleven, and usually I would do ok with that..... Unfortunatly for me, I get to bed, close eyes, and a few minutes later I realize I am still wide awake.

Tried a good sex romp with the miss's..... Makes me more awake and I usually just want more after.......

Its not a staying asleep problem that is the biggest issue, its the going to sleep in the first place. Whats getting me now, is waking up after two hours of sleep feeling great and fully awake, and running short around 10:00... 10:30 ish.... All I can do to make it through the day is get a bit of a nap here and there.

Not gonna try the mary jane..... Just not my style. Sorry guys It probably is something that is great for medicinal use for many, just not for me..... Never tried it, never taken anything for recreational use..... Just alcohol and Nicotine for me.

So Doc gave me Restoril. She told me to take it about eight, I should be ready for sleep in a half hour or so....... First night I took it, went to bed..... six hours later I was still awake.

At this point I am not getting enough sleep at night to fully recover for the next day. Its not the mental fatigue that is bothering me.... its that I am physically exhausted.

Think that pretty much covers it.

P.S..... Tried Melatonin once...... WOke up and had to decide if what I was dreaming about really happened or not.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
How do you eat the potato raw, baked, boiled? I am serious. I am goin to try the recipe and your other suggestions. I have had insomnia for years. I sleep through the whole night only a few times a month. The rest of the time fall asleep easily at 11PM sleep for a couple then wide ass awake and restless at 1AM. Barely back to sleep at 4:30 then up when the alarm goes off at 6AM
Since you seem to be new here I'll clue you in on a little secret: Knuckleslammer is nuttier than a squirrel turd. Its best that you take anything he says with a large grain of salt and your tinfoil hat properly adjusted. :tinfoil:
*edit In this case please ignore my signature.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
there's a ton of info on the internet on this subject, but the most important thing is to develop good sleep habits (edit which translated really means, good, consistent 24 hour ~in general~ repetitive schedule) and stick with them, every time you sleep in or go to bed past your "normal" time, it screws up your body's time clock...the most important things that help me when stressed out and over scheduled, are:

1. EXERCISE DAILY at least 30min to 1 HR (even when stressed, find time and drop everything you're doing, including time sensitive things and do it, you'll be more productive when you return to finish those tasks). Try to exercise during the day OUTSIDE. Even on "days off/weekends". Keep a regular excercise schedule.
2. DON'T EAT ANYTHING AFTER DINNER/6:30ish, or translated, 2 hours before you plan to be asleep. No snacks, nothing.
3. TURN THE TV/PC OFF after 8PM. These stimulate enough to keep me awake, and dont allow for your body to "coast down" to being ready for sleep. READ A BOOK, one for enjoyment, not one you "need" to study.

Combine all above with good wake up habits (get up at same time every day, EVEN when sleep deprived and EVEN on weekends/days off, and get plenty of sunlight into your space) and you'll be in better shape. I find that the most difficult part of developing good sleep habits, is recognizing when your falling out of your good habits, and returning to a good sleep schedule. It takes time and lots of conscientious practice to develop this "sixth" sense, especially in our crazy hectic society. Oh yeah, and if your taking sleep aids, your doing it wrong.

Last edited:

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
^Thanks for a good constructive post. I'm trying to get back on that schedule but I'm usually stuck on the PC or playing PS3 until the wee hours of the morning before I even realize how late it is. That's a main problem in my schedule but a lot of the time I need to be on the PC for work/school.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
The potato may be baked, just not fried in oil. Eat the skin. Yeah I may be nuts, but I sleep like a baby.

A potato is a complex carbohydrate and it's thought by some to raise serotonin levels and aid in sleep. Now others say not to eat a complex carb before bed. Let me tell you, the last thing I want to do a couple hours before bed is eat a frign potato. I put the F'er in the microwave for 3 minutes ( a small red tater) and wait for it to cool and choke the bastard down.

For me this is a godsend. I always crave sugar after dinner. Eating sugar or chocolate before bed will guarantee you do not sleep well and will wake up feeling like you've not slept at all. But don't listen to me, I'm a nut :thumb:

Below in quotes, is from a Google Search - BTW, I'm not on this diet, but borrow some ideas from it and from the book Potatos not prozac. Some stuff doesn't work for everyone, but I find that eating a tater or a big pile of oat meal (quaker quick oats, no sugar, just plain oatmeal) before bed works wonders for sleep and morning wood :thumb:

"diet is basically low-carb but you have a small potato 3 hours after your last meal. This is supposed to increase your serotonin levels. I've been doing the diet for a week now and I'm really impressed with how much the little potato before bed effects my serotonin levels. The first night I woke up at 3:30 am with a headache, and some anxiety. Because I know from experience how serotonin affects me, I was quite impressed. I used to take 5htp to increase my serotonin levels, now I just need a potato!! That's incredible! Of course I'm going to cut back on the amount I eat before bed, but I was really impressed. I've also lost 3 lbs this week, with no cravings"